No announcement yet.

Hardwood Paroxysm: Jose Calderon, Indispensable In Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jose should be kept as the team's back up and insurance point guard until he retires. As good as he is offensively setting people up, he is not good enough to guard the new breed of point guards (these animals I tell you). Therefore, he's as good as a primary back up point guard.

If he can be resigned for the next 4 years for $4 M per season, I will be very happy.

I respect a guy who gives a sh!t about winning and Jose is clearly a winner. I would like to see him run a Laker team or some other contender, but I'm selfish and I like the Raptors, so ....
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      he has also been the most over-appreciated. jose gets overvalued when he is a back-up which he excels at and undervalued when he is a starter.
      Over-appreciated and over-valued as a back-up? I think he's been under-valued and under-appreciated overall because even as DC and BC were promoting the great depth (so as most of us were), everyone was looking at Kyle Lowry, and the great pre-season and Chicago-energizer in JL3 at the point guard spot. Jose was just another, "he's back to find guys the ball."

I'm not Jose, but from reading posts, and seeing the reactions/comments on him, it really looks like he is labeled as "he's just doing his job." Which he is, but I think he does a great, great job of doing it.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Raps fans are spoiled from years of great pg play. If JC ever gets to a team with elite talent, watch out. He'd fit the Lake show so well it's scary.
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

The truth is most of us want Jose to stay. The truth also maybe that the Raps. brass want him to stay. Of course as a back up. The question is, does Jose want to stay? I'll be very surprised if he does. If he want's to stay, hats off to him. I doubt it though.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

As much as I love Jose and would love for him to be a Raptor for life, I think he coupled with either Ross/Amir/Ed might be the best way to add more talent to the club. I agree with Matt, you have to ask does he even want to stay? If he does, I dont see why he would be opposed to us acquiring more talent, and then re-signing him at a fair deal in the off-season (4 yrs/ $16 M). If we aren't able to get a good piece in return for a trade involving Jose, then let him expire and roll the dice in the off-season.

Comment

All of the geniuses on the internet who despise Calderon and endlessly rant about how horrible he is at defense and how he doesn't get "real" assists and how he dribbles out the clock will be the first guys complaining next year that we desperately need a veteran, backup PG for Lowry.

Yeah, Calderon isn't a perfect player but no one this team has played harder than he has since he's been here despite the fact that Colangelo tries to replace him or trade him every year.

Comment

As much as I love having Calderon as a Raptor, I think it would be in both the team's and his best interest to trade him at the deadline, unless the Raps are looking as though they are securely in the playoffs.

A trade would bring back something for an expiring contract; anything is positive, in terms of asset management. Calderon could have the opportunity to 'chase a ring' with a playoff team. I would hope that BC would still turn around and attempt to sign him next offseason, to be Lowry's backup PG for the next couple years at a much reduced rate (2 years + 2 team option years, for $4-5M per season).

Best of both worlds and not totally unrealistic either.

Comment

Working...
                X