Jose Calderon situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Calderon situation

Jose is playing really good for the Raptors right now. He was also excelling in his backup role at the beginning of the year. He also aways been loyal to the team.

First, I'd like to know what you would do if you were BC right now.
    -Trade him before the end of the season?
    -Keep him until the end of the season and try to sign him to an extension?
    -Keep him until the end of the season and let him go via free agency?

Then, I'd like to know what you think Jose would do if he was a free agent at the end of the year.
    -Get back with the Raptors?
    -Sign with another team?

Thanks!

I would trade him. Jose has never really been a difference maker. He is a good point guard, but my fear is that as a backup any coach will try to play Jose in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter. Jose at the two-guard doesn't really get me excited. Of course this is my assumption that the coach would play Jose with Lowry at the end of the game. I think that his expiring contract is a really good asset, and could land a very good piece or a draft pick. Not things that we should take for granted. If Lowry is expected to play 35mpg than any backup should be okay in this league.. and there are plenty of decent PG's.

Would Jose resign? Yes if the price is right. I really can't stand Bryan anymore but since he's still here, I could see him offering Jose anywhere around $7-8M a year. This is way too high for a backup PG, but that's my expectation. Would he resign to that? Probably. Is it worth it - not to me.

If we could get him back for the MLE or less, then yes definitely, but he may be able to get more out in Europe. Plus there would be lots of teams with cap space, and Toronto has treated him fairly poorly through out his career (except for his salary of course).. so I'm not sure if he'd want to come back. And this gamble might be another reason why trading Jose now would be a smart move so that we can got something back for him.

Comment

If BC can get a good piece back, then he has to do the trade. I would love to see Jose back with the Raps. We have seen his utility while Lowry has been out. If Lucas is your backup PG the Raps don't get those wins.

How much is he worth as a backup? Don't know what the going rate is for 31 year old Spanish point guards capable of getting an assist every 3 minutes of playing time and one TO every 12 minutes (last three games). This year he is 8.2/2.3 assists to TO's in 31 minutes, along with 10.9 points. That's almost a double double. Is $5 Mil too much? For a back up who sees 15 minutes a night, maybe. How durable is Lowry going to be, is kind of the question that needs answering. How much are the Raps going to depend on Calderon?

Comment

Lowry plays tonight!

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Raptors&src=hash

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
          This is great news.

I'd love to trade Jose to get some value out of him, I just don't see any takers looking around the league. We need a PG on a contending team to go down. Ideally Collison gets injured in Dallas, as I could see them for sure making an offer on Calderon. They don't have time to mess around with Dirk only having a few years left.

Another possible suitor could be Minnesota if Rubio has complications during his return. Minnesota has 2 first round draft picks, the other being Memphis pick. Calderon may be worth a late first rounder to them.

We aren't getting a stud SF in return for Calderon, so lets think what else we might want/need.

Comment

I think we absolutely need a capable backup point guard anyway. I really like Lucas but not as our backup point guard. He's more of a spark of the bench at the 2 spot to me. Something like Barbosa (not that I compare those 2 at all) with less playing time. I think that if we can get him back we need to do so. We won't get any better backup point guard in this league. Plus he's a great shooter when he's into it. If it is for less than 8 millions a year, I'd give him 3 or 4 years, easily.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
              I think we absolutely need a capable backup point guard anyway. I really like Lucas but not as our backup point guard. He's more of a spark of the bench at the 2 spot to me. Something like Barbosa (not that I compare those 2 at all) with less playing time. I think that if we can get him back we need to do so. We won't get any better backup point guard in this league. Plus he's a great shooter when he's into it. If it is for less than 8 millions a year, I'd give him 3 or 4 years, easily.
              Yeah but the way lucas is playing at the moment, HE AINT NO BACKUP PG

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                It is madness to be paying a backup PG around $8M a year. We're going to need that money to resign Lowry.
                I personally hate Calderon at the 2, and there is no way a team contends with Calderon at the 2, so why even bothe. We have DeRozan and TRoss who need minutes at the 2.

Realistically with a healthy Lowry we need a backup PG to play around 10 minutes a game. Jose is too good for that kind of role.

Comment

trade him in a package as soon as lowry is able to play steady again and get what we can. i don't ecpect him to sign again after this season. and then all his love will turn to hate because after 7 years of hate and love it would have been him who decided to leave us and we will hate his disloyalty for it. all we want to do is ask him to take a paycut of 5-6 million dollars to play for a perenial lottery club for the rest of his career.

Comment

JackfromNZ wrote: View Post
                    That's what I said, precisely

Comment

I'm not a fan of having both Calderon and Lowry on the floor at the same time, but i think DC is too fixated on having two capable ball handlers on the floor at the same time. It worked for them when Dallas won when they would have both Kidd and Barea on the court at the same time.

I'm a big Jose fan, and I would love to see him retire in a Raptors jersey, but if an opportunity comes along where it will improve the team, now or at the deadline, I say pull the trigger.

Comment

Can we get better if we trade Jose? If not no use in trading him.

If yes, do we get better enough to make it worth while?
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          Can we get better if we trade Jose? If not no use in trading him.

If yes, do we get better enough to make it worth while?
                          Agreed. Calderon is the second best player, very consistent performer capable of starting or coming off the bench. He's valuable to the Raptors right now.

Comment

JackfromNZ wrote: View Post
                            I dont think you can expect Lucas to be as efficient as the way Calderon is playing right now with the 5-10 mins a game that he's getting. If you look back at what he did with the bulls when Rose went down, it wasnt DRose level, but good enough to warrant him a backup PG job. I think we've seen with his play this year that he can be a source of points of the bench, if given mins (see Boston game), and he can facilitate as well. But IMO, id rather have a bigger, taller version of Lucas as a backup PG and maybe for the 2 spot as well.

I think Jose is a very good PG, solid backup but he shouldnt be playing in the dying minutes of a game. Obviously, the defense gets tighter towards the end of the game. Jose's offense is very predictable. He's always looking to pass. All the other team needs to do is lock the other 4 players, Jose leaves his feet for a pass, done. Lowry needs to be the PG, the ball in his hands with Calderon sitting on the bench. Even if you put Lowry and Jose in together, Jose will still facilitate the offense, and thats what causes problems.

Comment

Working...
                            X