Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This lost once again is on Casey

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This lost once again is on Casey

- JV had 11pts, 11rbs 3ast and 3blks midway in the 3rd and didn't even see any floor time in the 4th. The guy was impacting the game on both ends of the floor. What would it take for this guy to get some playing time late in the game? and why is he not playing more late in the game?
    - Execution in the 4th once again was BRUTAL. Amir SHOULDN'T BE AN OPTION AT ALL. Hello!!
    - Bargnani once again was a non factor in the 2nd half specially in the 4th. The 2 missed FT's early in the 4th was huge. The guy just always disappears late in the game. Am i the only one noticing this?
    - Give the ball to DeMar in the post!!
    - The Raps defence help too much. Results? open 3's for Philly. Way too many.

Another game that they've lost because of atrocious execution offensively and defensively late in the game. Brutal.

Also, i understand that Jose and Kyle are 2 of their best players. Offensively they're great together but defensively they're going to get exposed just like tonight.
    Last edited by TRex; Tue Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey's coaching deficiencies really getting exposed this year. & haven't heard him take at least some responsibility or admit his short comings

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, can't find an explanation for Jonas not playing. Is he on limited minutes? That's the only explanation I can find of having him out of the game in the fourth. Not the first time Casey's done this, and it almost seems to happen when the team needs a guy like him the most.

Head scratcher, this one.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree JV was setting big screens and rolling hard on offence and creating havoc in the paint. On defence, he was changing and blocking shots and rebounding well. Amir was absolutely brutal. Completely brain dead.

It would help if the Raptors didn't shoot free-throws like a junior high team. At one point they were 3/9 in FTs in the 4th quarter. They don't have Shaq or D12, so that is just unprofessional. Bargnani and Lowry were a combined 3/10 from the stripe.
    Last edited by Bouncepass; Wed Nov 21st, 2012 at 12:30 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

youre right, 3/9 is despicable in the fourth...

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it. He must not trust JV in the crunch yet. Doesn't trust Ross at all and over values ABs "O".
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

JV should have been there in the 4th quarter. Amir just didn't have it and soon as Casey saw that he should have put JV back in the game for the 4th. The other good point is that JV had I believe no fouls for the game where as Amir was in foul trouble and really couldn't play good defense at all!! Lost this time I think is on Casey!!

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I hate to say it....the loss is on Casey. Terrible rotation in the 4th. Where are our hungry rookies? Sometimes it feels like players are buying playing time and apparently JV and TRoss can't afford it yet with their rookies contracts.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason that JV was not in the game in the 4th is that Philly was playing small ball and Casey decided to match rather than try to play an advantage in size....it did not work and maybe he will learn forom it.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    The reason that JV was not in the game in the 4th is that Philly was playing small ball and Casey decided to match rather than try to play an advantage in size....it did not work and maybe he will learn forom it.
    While I've defended Casey more than a few times, he didn't learn from doing this exact same thing against Philly last time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    While I've defended Casey more than a few times, he didn't learn from doing this exact same thing against Philly last time.
    He'll get another chance tonight. Charlotte can go small effectively by playing Gilchrist at the 4.

Post Thanks / Like

The only think that I can think of as to the reason why JV is not playing big minutes is that they are trying to limit him so he doesn't hit the rookie wall 3/4 into the season. He did play alot of ball in 2012, and is not yet used to the 82 game grind of the NBA.

At this point, I trust DC's judgment, and hopefully in the near future we will see a small and steady increase, as well as some burn during key moments in games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    One issue I've had with Raptors coaches, going back at least to Smitch (if not farther back), is that they always seem to be reactive in their lineup adjustments. Raptors coaches always seem to respond to strategic lineups (ie: Philly going small), rather than taking the initiative and proactively forcing other teams to react to our lineup strategies.

Even when we do luck into lineup matchup advantages (ie: standard lineup still on the court against a smaller opposition lineup), our coaches never seem capable of going away from the gameplan and actually adapting to the current situation to take advantage of those lineup mismatches. If the other team goes small and you don't want to, then ever offensive trip should be force-fed post-ups that expolit the height advantages... punish the other team into submission!

Maybe that's the problem with hiring inexperienced coaches, who aren't good enough to actually coach on the fly.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The coach is now the whipping post, a shift from AB and BC, the usual brunt of criticism. I hope the Raptors win tonight.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JV would've been better at defending small ball then Bargnani.

And seeing Amir out there, JV wouldv'e been better than Amir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    One issue I've had with Raptors coaches, going back at least to Smitch (if not farther back), is that they always seem to be reactive in their lineup adjustments. Raptors coaches always seem to respond to strategic lineups (ie: Philly going small), rather than taking the initiative and proactively forcing other teams to react to our lineup strategies.
    Hmmm, so three coaches in a row, all different in style and approach, all seem to have the same problem. Maybe, just maybe, there might be something else at play? Are there any common denominators that all 3 coaches have had to deal with? Might those factors provide an answer?

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would have liked to see him get some minutes, Casey is right about matching up; when they are playing Dorrell Wright and Thaddeus Young as the Center, then that means Jonas would be spending the majority of his time covering them out at the 3 point line. NOT a good situation to be in with a slow footed 7 footer.

And I'm not sure Jonas would have been able to take advantage of the mismatch 'every time down' on the offensive end, in order to justify having him out there.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Hmmm, so three coaches in a row, all different in style and approach, all seem to have the same problem. Maybe, just maybe, there might be something else at play? Are there any common denominators that all 3 coaches have had to deal with? Might those factors provide an answer?
    The root couldn't possibly be the problem.

You just cut the head off the dandelion and its gone forever. Right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Oh you're preaching to the choir if you're hinting at a lack of talent overall on the roster, but leaving it at that would be letting coaches (past and present) off the hook far too easily.

Last night the Raps were in the bonus and were faced with a team that went small. I would have posted up or driven hard to the hoop every single possession, either taking advantage of matchups (ie: height advantages) and/or looking to draw contact to live at the line (poor FT shooting is definitely on the players). If any player took a jumpshot from outside of about 8', I would've benched him!

Yes the team does not have playoff caliber talent, but that's still not an excuse for poor coaching that isn't capable of adapting the team's gameplan to exploit the opportunities that present themselves... especially when Philly already beat us the same way less than a month ago!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    As much as I would have liked to see him get some minutes, Casey is right about matching up; when they are playing Dorrell Wright and Thaddeus Young as the Center, then that means Jonas would be spending the majority of his time covering them out at the 3 point line. NOT a good situation to be in with a slow footed 7 footer.

And I'm not sure Jonas would have been able to take advantage of the mismatch 'every time down' on the offensive end, in order to justify having him out there.
    Thaddeus Young is not a 3 pt shooter - he's hit 0 this year, 1 last year and 6 the year before that. If he wants to fire 3s late in the game, I'd give him that shot over and over.

If the concern is a slow footed 7fter guarding the perimeter, exactly how does Bargnani improve that situation?

At the very least Jonas could have used his size to his advantage on offense, and grabbed a rebound or two at both the offensive and defensive end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information