Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: This lost once again is on Casey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Thaddeus Young is not a 3 pt shooter - he's hit 0 this year, 1 last year and 6 the year before that. If he wants to fire 3s late in the game, I'd give him that shot over and over.

If the concern is a slow footed 7fter guarding the perimeter, exactly how does Bargnani improve that situation?

At the very least Jonas could have used his size to his advantage on offense, and grabbed a rebound or two at both the offensive and defensive end.
    Not defending Bargnani, but I would rather have put Valanciunas in for Amir last night. I would then go inside constantly on offense, exploiting the height advantage mismatch against Philly's smaller lineup, ideally forcing them to foul (since we were in the bonus so early in the 4th). With one of them posting up and the other in for offensive rebounding (again, exploiting the mismatch), I think Casey (or at least, a good coach) could have exploited Philly's smaller lineup proactively.

Post Thanks / Like

Thaddeus Young is not a 3 pt shooter - he's hit 0 this year, 1 last year and 6 the year before that. If he wants to fire 3s late in the game, I'd give him that shot over and over.
    And Dorrell Wright..? Who was the one actually playing the 5 last night.

If the concern is a slow footed 7fter guarding the perimeter, exactly how does Bargnani improve that situation?
    For all his shortcomings, Bargnani has better foot-speed and lateral movement than Jonas.

At the very least Jonas could have used his size to his advantage on offense, and grabbed a rebound or two at both the offensive and defensive end.
    Don't disagree with this.
    But I guess he felt Amir could do just as well (especially considering his MONSTER 4th quarter the other night), while offering a better chance of staying in front of his man.

I'm not saying it was the right decision by Casey. Just saying its easy to say you'd do something different; we still don't know if that would have changed the outcome.

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I think Casey (or at least, a good coach) could have exploited Philly's smaller lineup proactively.
    Are we seriously resorting to saying Casey is a BAD coach?
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Nov 21st, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    And Dorrell Wright..? Who was the one actually playing the 5 last night.

For all his shortcomings, Bargnani has better foot-speed and lateral movement than Jonas.

Don't disagree with this.
    But I guess he felt Amir could do just as well (especially considering his MONSTER 4th quarter the other night), while offering a better chance of staying in front of his man.

I'm not saying it was the right decision by Casey. Just saying its easy to say you'd do something different; we still don't know if that would have changed the outcome.
    How do you come to that conclusion? Young was the one inside on offense while Wright was doing what he always does, stands in the corner. On defense Wright covered Bargnani for a play or two and then Richardson switched on to him. When Amir fouled out, Young moved to Bargnani.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you come to that conclusion? Young was the one inside on offense while Wright was doing what he always does, stands in the corner. On defense Wright covered Bargnani for a play or two and then Richardson switched on to him. When Amir fouled out, Young moved to Bargnani.
    Just what I caught, as Wright is the bigger body, but perhaps you are right.
    Besides, in that situation, they're both just playing Forward.

And either way, both players are perimeter players, and Casey felt Bargs and Dom could do it better.

“He could have come in in Amir’s situation (after Johnson fouled out) but I thought we needed some shooting on the floor with those small guys. We went with Andrea on the floor at the five, which sometimes we do.

“I thought JV did an excellent job in the first half when they were big … so I felt like Andrea was a better fit to go against Dorell Wright or Thaddeus Young.”

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How can you possibly say Bargnani has more quickness than JV?????

Post Thanks / Like

Are we seriously resorting to saying Casey is a BAD coach?
    Jury is out, but I'm definitely not as excited with Casey as I was last season. Yes the talent to work with is thin, but some of his decisions have been mind-boggling. I also don't understand how a coach who refuses to play rookies (JV in the 4th, Ross at all) is the right fit for a team in (re)building mode. I don't care what anybody said about hoping to make the playoffs this season, but the truth is this is still a young team that should be focussing on player development, not dishing out minutes to players like McGuire, Anderson and Lucas. Based solely on his lineup management and continued failure to correctly react (let alone his failure to be proactive) to lineup moves made by the opposition, I would defintely argue that Casey is in the bottom half (at least) in the league when it comes to coaching, which I would say is fair to call "bad" (and is in line with that preseason survey of coaches).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm giving Casey a pass for this reason:

He is trying to run his systems (both offensive and defensive) with key players that are not suited for his systems.

Casey is trying to mix oil and water with extremely frustrating results.

#tradeBargnani
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey has been terrible dating to last season. Starting Rasual Butler. Playing Bargnani for 30 something odd minutes after returning from his calf strain and then he re-aggravates it. Playing Jamaal Magloire (terrible FT shooter) at the end of the game who then misses his free throws. Subbing in Rasual Butler just to inbound the ball. Replacing Bayless (who was playing really well as a starter) in the starting lineup with Calderon (who is fragile and has had many injuries in past seasons) who was just coming off an ankle sprain when the season was pretty much over. The list goes on.

I guess people just didn't care as much about what he did because they were expected to be one of the worst teams in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    How can you possibly say Bargnani has more quickness than JV?????
    Because I believe it to be the truth.

Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Jury is out, but I'm definitely not as excited with Casey as I was last season. Yes the talent to work with is thin, but some of his decisions have been mind-boggling. I also don't understand how a coach who refuses to play rookies (JV in the 4th, Ross at all) is the right fit for a team in (re)building mode. I don't care what anybody said about hoping to make the playoffs this season, but the truth is this is still a young team that should be focussing on player development, not dishing out minutes to players like McGuire, Anderson and Lucas. Based solely on his lineup management and continued failure to correctly react (let alone his failure to be proactive) to lineup moves made by the opposition, I would defintely argue that Casey is in the bottom half (at least) in the league when it comes to coaching, which I would say is fair to call "bad" (and is in line with that preseason survey of coaches).
    Big + 1

Post Thanks / Like

Because I believe it to be the truth.
    Bargs is much slower laterally, and its why his help defense is ALWAYS behind.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Bargs is much slower laterally, and its why his help defense is ALWAYS behind.
    You're talking about his lateral brain functioning, right?

How many times does he forget he is not on his couch watching the game - ummmm, Andrea, you are in the f*cking game!
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You're talking about his lateral brain functioning, right?

How many times does he forget he is not on his couch watching the game - ummmm, Andrea, you are in the f*cking game!
    ahahahaha, so true. when I play b-ball, I know EXACTLY whats going on, where the ball is, where my man is, where the help defense needs to come from. Im aware of the pass, the shot, the pick. Its not hard to look around and be reactant in the moment.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information