Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Theory?

Ed, Ross, and Val are being limited

Calderon, Amir, and Bargnani are being showcased.

Is it possible that BC is encouraging playing time and rotations in order to heighten the trade value of Bargnani and Calderon?

Kyle lowry sprained his ankle, was placed on day-day, and still took 7 games to come back. This was perfect for Jose Calderon to go off and now his trade value is sky high.

Bargnani is getting ridiculous minutes even when he isnt being effective. Pampering up his stats is a very good way to get a trade partner to bite. Ed loses all the extra minutes Andrea gains.

Amir has stolen so many minutes from JV its ridiculous, even when he was being ineffective. Maybe playing up Amir is BCs way of saying he would prefer to trade Amir over Ed.

Ed is getting NO PLAYING TIME. literally less than 5 minutes for multiple games now. Perhaps BC is thinking that a trading partner would over look Ed if he wasnt being played. This could be BCs way of getting more value out of Amir and still keeping the preferred player out of the two.

Ross may fall under the same argument, and BC may be deterring trading partners for demanding Ross.

In my opinion, BC is strategically setting an epic run post deadline-trade
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Sounds about right to me

Comment

I think the theory of "showcasing" is highly overrated. Teams scout all the time and look at a guy based on much more than 10 game stretches. The theory MIGHT hold a bit of water if those were GOOD 10 game stretches but in what world does showing everyone that Bargs, Amir and JC are exactly what you already thought they were (ie inefficient stretch 4/poor rebounder/defender; foul prone hustle player; high assist/low TO/poor defender) increase their value? There is zero "upside" to any of these players, they are what they are and everyone knows it.
      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

It's quite foolish to speak about playoffs during postseason and then intentionally loose by forcing minutes, ignoring most effective players. Although it makes sense. Could be.
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
          It's quite foolish to speak about playoffs during postseason and then intentionally loose by forcing minutes, ignoring most effective players. Although it makes sense. Could be.
          say what now??
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
            Is it possible that BC is encouraging playing time and rotations in order to heighten the trade value of Bargnani and Calderon?
            No. You can go back to the Smitch era (and certainly the Triano era) where theories like this were continually put forth to try and explain what was happening on this team.

It's very simple: Casey plays the guys he trusts. All coaches do.

Why is Calderon out there? Coaches trust him. He runs the offense. He makes shots. He doesn't turn the ball over. Yeah, defensively he's a liability but coaches figure they can cover for that.

Why is Bargnani out there? Cause, theoretically, he should be. Last night, Philly goes small - theoretically, Bargs should be out there as he can use his size and skill to exploit the matchup. Theoretically, it makes sense. Theoretically, Bargnani has always made sense.

Comment

I read the "Jordan Rules" which was a behind the scenes coverage of the Bulls first championship season. And if that book is accurate, then showcasing does exist.

The problem however is that if we are showcasing the guys that are trade bait, then in my opinion it is way too early for that. Casey was playing Jose heavy minutes in the 4th at the start of the season. Amir was getting much more burn over JV and Bargnani was getting his usual minutes even though he was playing like crap. I don't see any evidence that this is showcasing, and just Casey playing what he considers his best assets more playing time, especially down the stretch.

Comment

this is what we want to be true. One of the qualms against casey, when he coached minny was his retarded ass rotations.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                  this is what we want to be true. One of the qualms against casey, when he coached minny was his retarded ass rotations.
                  Another thing to remember about Casey is he was 20-20 and 8th seed when fired and in the 8th seed. His replacement, Wittman of current Wizard fame, finished the year 12-30.

The big issue in Minnesota for years was McHale as the GM. Maybe Casey has the same unfortunate twist of fate in TOR with BC?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Another thing to remember about Casey is he was 20-20 and 8th seed when fired and in the 8th seed. His replacement, Wittman of current Wizard fame, finished the year 12-30.

The big issue in Minnesota for years was McHale as the GM. Maybe Casey has the same unfortunate twist of fate in TOR with BC?
                    Interesting theory and a valid argument could be made no doubt. Is Casey a puppet and BC is pulling the strings?

With all the "pound the rock" nonsense I don't think so. Casey is playing who he wants, calling the shots and it's killed the Raps early. The team has marketed the guy like crazy and seems to have as much control over his team as any coach I can remember in recent memory (Back to Kevin O'Neill days). He's getting what he's asked for through the draft and free agency but hasn't delivered. Casey talks about everyone having to get better players, coaches and himself. Well I hope he gets better soon because the hole they have dug is getting pretty deep.

It's early but tonight is a must win game IMO. They need to get this to start picking up some momentum.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                      It's early but tonight is a must win game IMO. They need to get this to start picking up some momentum.
                      That's the problem. I'm usually not one to get worried this early but even if they go something like 4-7 over the next 11 that puts them 8 games under .500. That's a huge hole for any team, let alone a team like the Raps that has no margin for error.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I read the "Jordan Rules" which was a behind the scenes coverage of the Bulls first championship season. And if that book is accurate, then showcasing does exist.

The problem however is that if we are showcasing the guys that are trade bait, then in my opinion it is way too early for that. Casey was playing Jose heavy minutes in the 4th at the start of the season. Amir was getting much more burn over JV and Bargnani was getting his usual minutes even though he was playing like crap. I don't see any evidence that this is showcasing, and just Casey playing what he considers his best assets more playing time, especially down the stretch.
                        Cool! I should probably read a 'behind-the-scenes' basketball book to get a better idea of what actually goes on behind closed doors!!
                        Tell me, what kind showcasing happened?

I think the most probable of showcasing events include Lowry coming back so late from an ankle sprain. Jose has KILLED it since, and is the most likely to be traded.

Also the random disappearance of Ed from the rotation, and the reluctance to ever play Ross (though as a rookie its more understandable) is hard to reconcile.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Interesting theory and a valid argument could be made no doubt. Is Casey a puppet and BC is pulling the strings?

With all the "pound the rock" nonsense I don't think so. Casey is playing who he wants, calling the shots and it's killed the Raps early. The team has marketed the guy like crazy and seems to have as much control over his team as any coach I can remember in recent memory (Back to Kevin O'Neill days). He's getting what he's asked for through the draft and free agency but hasn't delivered. Casey talks about everyone having to get better players, coaches and himself. Well I hope he gets better soon because the hole they have dug is getting pretty deep.

That is not what I meant or thought was implied.

I am referring to personnel decisions. McHale was pretty brutal. BC's results are very debatable - and they have been debated numerous times.

Comment

Is Casey a puppet and BC is pulling the strings?

With all the "pound the rock" nonsense I don't think so. Casey is playing who he wants, calling the shots and it's killed the Raps early.
                            I also don't think Casey is a puppet to BC. I think, for lack of a better term, he is a partner.

One of the reason's Casey was brought in was clearly because of his relationship with the Dallas team - and Andrea's theoretical doppleganger, Dirk Nowitzki. The idea was to 'hide' Andrea like he did Dirk. Casey thought, and still thinks, he can accomplish this. (and I'm not going to delve into how the level of offense, defense and rebounding between Dirk and Andrea are worlds apart).

When Casey signed with Toronto he made the Dirk/Andrea comparison. He's said Bargnani could be a star. He's said this team will only go as far as Andrea will take them. He put expectations on Bargnani (2 rebs a quarter + a few that fall in his lap...)

Now we hear him admit Andrea "is who he is", thrown those expectations out the window - and yet still it doesn't change how Bargnani is used.

Andrea is Dirk, even if its going to be a "poor man's Dirk"-lite. This was and is still part of his job description and Casey doesn't strike me as a guy who gives up easily or is willing to admit defeat. He will keep trying to find a way to make it work. Casey is a classic old school blue collar man from some lame made for TV movie. No changing their ways until they either hit rock bottom or someone (or something) else forces them to.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              That is not what I meant or thought was implied.

I am referring to personnel decisions. McHale was pretty brutal. BC's results are very debatable - and they have been debated numerous times.
                              The puppet comment was more so a question not implying that you were implying it. BC has made questionable moves in the past but since Casey has been here we keep hearing "Casey type players" which leads me to believe he has a say in the matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X