Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Culture of Losing

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    WE LOSE= White Europeans, Laughably Overrated Sucking Everytime
    This is so stupid. Race? For real? How small your world must be. The raptors have been losing behind the efforts of all kinds of NBA players regardless of race.

As much as I loved me some Keon he was a classic example of a player overrated by the home fans and when he left Toronto what did he do and where did he go? Yup, straight out of the NBA, down the road in a swervy line all the way to jail. Again and again and again. Drives drunk, skips bail, fails to show in court, beats his gf, gets busted on conspiracy charges... talk about a loser, yeesh. He sucks almost as much as your acronym.
    "Analytics has a place. It can’t be the be all end all. I’m still trying to figure out when the Oakland Athletics won a championship with all the analytics they have."
    —Coach Hollins, who is a better basketball mind than you are.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice.....

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

On a 15-man roster, there are only 4 European players (27% of the team) and 2 of them are horrible.

You know what I realized. We're always bringing in these players to shoot and they can't shoot. Kleiza, Fields, Ross, Rasual Butler, Jason Kapono. And now Bargnani's shot is faltering and absolute non-shooters, Johnson and Maguire are shooting waaaaaaaay more often than they should.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice. It's important in moments of self reflection to let our racist feelings come out. Congrats on that. Keep it classy.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Casey is not going to change that, the only way you are going to change that is trade most of the players that been here for the past 3-4 seasons and start a new team because they are used to losing.
    It isn't a question of culture, it's a question of talent. Colangelo let Bosh leave for nothing, he hasn't drafted especially well, and his free agent moves tend to be questionable at best. The talent just isn't there. So, we lose.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    its not a culture of losing, its a culture of lack of talent
    That's exactly the issue, it has nothing to do with "culture" or anything else. The ownership has created this regime and they've conspired to put a pathetic product on the court.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    ...The ownership has created this regime and they've conspired to put a pathetic product on the court.
    "Hey Brian. Guess who called and wants to do a trade?"
    " No way. All they've got are good players on that team. I'm surprised you picked up the phone."
    Yeah, I know. I was just jerking his chain."

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly the issue, it has nothing to do with "culture" or anything else. The ownership has created this regime and they've conspired to put a pathetic product on the court.
    It isn't that they've conspired to put a bad team together - that's insane. They just really trust Colangelo. And I'll bet that this team makes money every year, so to the owners, it's like, "who cares if we aren't winning?"

Post Thanks / Like

And Craiger, apparently I just plagiarized you Margaret Wente-style a couple posts up, sorry about that.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a lack of a leader that's causing the most frustration. I can only imagine what the locker room is like... Could probably hear a pin drop for the most part I would guess. I really noticed how much we SUCKED once Kyle Lowry was sidelined.

This is what I think is going on in the locker room...

Lowry- Probably in everybody's face saying WTF guys let's play some ball...hustle! I can't do everything... Help me!
    Calderon- handing out water to everyone saying "Good effort boys! You guys are all awesome!"
    Bargnani- Sitting in the corner staring at the floor... Hoping it will talk to him in Italian.
    Amare- Probably doing pushups or something
    DeRozen- Looking everywhere for Sonny Weens so they can goof off. (I am impressed with his effort this year)
    Klazia- Just sitting listening to tunes. Not thinking about the game at all.
    Davis- Sitting thinking how the f#*k he can make a ball fit through the hoop. Its gotta fit!?!
    Valenciunas- Thinking. . . WTF guys! If nobody steps up I will have to kick someone's ass, cause nobody gives a crap here! Should I lead?

The entire team turtles back to old habits when no body is leading the team. Lowry, Valenciun, DeRozen seems to be the only guys that can shake the team up a bit. I am a Bargnani fan but he's not our leader. We need a leader, communication and believers on the team.

Once Lawry, Valenciunas and DeRozen stop trying we a done like dinner. At this pace it won't be long I am afraid.
    Last edited by PapiJulio; Thu Nov 22nd, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote PapiJulio wrote: View Post
    It's a lack of a leader that's causing the most frustration. I can only imagine what the locker room is like... Could probably hear a pin drop for the most part I would guess. I really noticed how much we SUCKED once Kyle Lowry was sidelined.

This is what I think is going on in the locker room...

Lowry- Probably in everybody's face saying WTF guys let's play some ball...hustle! I can't do everything... Help me!
    Calderon- handing out water to everyone saying "Good effort boys! You guys are all awesome!"
    Bargnani- Sitting in the corner staring at the floor... Hoping it will talk to him in Italian.
    Amare- Probably doing pushups or something
    Deroozen- Looking everywhere for Sonny Weens so they can goof off. (I am impressed with his effort this year)
    Klazia- Just sitting listening to tunes. Not thinking about the game at all.
    Davis- Sitting thinking how the f#*k he can make a ball fit through the hoop. Its gotta fit!?!
    Bullshit.

Kleiza was coordinating a special ops team to make a strike on Ed Malloy's Thanksgiving celebrations. When Malloy's turkey is frozen in the middle, Kleiza will be outside laughing like Al Harrington was on the lawn with him.

The rest was all likely though.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza is my boy I'd want at the bar with me. When u listen to him talk he sounds like a Hitman. He is probably our toughest guy next to Valenciunas. Compton... I mean DeRozen would put a fight up too. Or pull out his gat and pop a cap in ya.

Favorite clip of Kleiza by far!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry will just give you a beat down philly style lol. Bargnani will feed you primo pasta till you die

Post Thanks / Like

I love Kleiza man. He's like the enforcer on this team and he can play too.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

100%

If we still had triano or other idiots coaching us I would agree that you could make the argument. but casey understands culture, he won a championship, he's coached great players and he's not a loser.

If Bargnani shows up and plays the way he has for his entire career, he will be a useless defender and rebounder. if we keep putting jose on the court, we will allow dribble penetration ala jrue holiday's career game the other day. You put on DD, and he's not all of a sudden going to be able to become an elite playmaker.

They are simply not talented enough to compete consistently. It was the same with the hawks for the last several years. They had some good players, some talented guys, but you put them in a playoff series against elite teams, and they just weren't good enough because Joe Johnson doesn't play the whole game, and Josh smith isn't good enough offensively to dominate.

The point is...after a certain amount of time, you are what you are. culture has nothing to do with anything. If Boston or LA created a second or third team with the same ownership, and we sold all of our players to them, they still wouldn't win

Post Thanks / Like

A lineup of Bargnani, Amir, DeRozan, Ross and Calderon is fantastic. Aside from Ross, they already have good chemistry as a unit and the entire unit is pretty well balanced. The problem for the Raptors, is that on a playoff/contending caliber team, this would be a highly effective 2nd unit!

Lowry and Valanciunas (after a year or two of development) are the only surefire starters. This team needs a serious upgrade of talent at the PF & wing position; players who can consistently/efficiently score AND contribute on the defensive end.

In a starting lineup with Lowry, Valanciunas and upgraded PF & SF, I think Fields could actually be a legit starting SG too. If Fields could provide above average perimeter defense and consistently knock down open 3's, I think he could be a Tony Allen type player who brings balance to the starting lineup.

This team just needs to acquire all-star/near all-star quality starting PF & SF, let Valanciunas develop and hope Fields returns to his rookie form and improves from there... hey, at least our 2nd unit is set! Oh, and the only assets we have available to acquire those starting forwards are Davis, Kleiza and 4 2nd round picks... and we wonder why we're a perennial lottery team?!

Post Thanks / Like

i think we need an all star PF. Bring in J Smoove

Post Thanks / Like

We need a post player that you can throw the ball into and get points, especially late in games. Someone who's active around the basket that'll take pressure off JV to be a one man show down there and clean up the boards.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    We need a post player that you can throw the ball into and get points, especially late in games. Someone who's active around the basket that'll take pressure off JV to be a one man show down there and clean up the boards.
    JV and Bosh would be a pretty lethal combination.

Post Thanks / Like

J smoove!!!

Thread Information