Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you win when the whistle literally doesn't blow? (heartbreaking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
    Two things:

1. As one of my former coaches told me: Never leave the game in the hands of the refs. Once you start doing that, you've already lost.

2. Free Throw Attempts Per Game:

DeMar DeRozan - 5.8
    Kyle Lowry - 5.2
    LeBron James - 5.4
    Chris Paul - 4.9
    Dwayne Wade - 4.3

Even Andrea averages more FTs per game than guys like Joe Johnson, Pau Gasol and Al Jefferson. The Raps should stop complaining and start hitting their freebies.
    Nice post.

Comment

I agree that the refs have been spotty. The free throw shooting has been atrocious. They need to make those shots. Could have won both tr last 2 games

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        We should totally do that. And have a chant that goes "fuck the refs!"
        We have this ( I mean the chant ). Every time crowd is unsatisfied with refereeing they chant "Fuck you referee". Next time they think twice. It's like a tradition, which been around here for many years. Not very civilized one, but at least crowd responds and shows they won't tolerate it.
        One of the most famous one ;DDD Cost the game
        Last edited by RandomGuy; Thu Nov 22, 2012, 07:08 AM.
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
          I agree that the refs have been spotty. The free throw shooting has been atrocious. They need to make those shots. Could have won both tr last 2 games
          this is a excellent point. raps lost by one but were 14-20 from the stripe. can't win when you throw away 6 points.

plus, don't forget the team missed 5 shots (there was some contact, but still) in 28 seconds. not very many of them were good ones, either. team needs to learn to execute.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            this is a excellent point. raps lost by one but were 14-20 from the stripe. can't win when you throw away 6 points.

plus, don't forget the team missed 5 shots (there was some contact, but still) in 28 seconds. not very many of them were good ones, either. team needs to learn to execute.
            and this is part of it to. The refs aren't going to bail a team out who is taking (chucking) bad shots in the final seconds of a one point game.

I'm also curious how many people saw the foul on Bargnani before they had the privilege of a close up slow motion instant replay? I know I didn't. And before anyone says "there was obviously a foul because the shot was so short", the refs aren't deciding a game based on an assumption of how uncharacteristic a shot looks.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Raptors couldn't execute, but if refs had called some, we would've won, but margin would've been tiny.

If Raptors executed, not to mention calls coming our way, we're looking at a possible double-digit deficit for Charlotte. I mean, at the end of the day, Toronto didn't make those winning plays, but the refs didn't let us make them as well.

Refs are to blame for those terrible non-calls late, but Toronto should not have been that close to start relying on the whistle. Wins come from 4 great quarters of basketball, not 2 great ones, an average one, and an invisible one. You can't win being inconsistent, and that goes to players (Bargnani, Calderon's D), and coaches (rotations, accountability, WINNING PLAYS.)

Blame the refs all you want, yes they made some terrible calls, but Toronto should not have lost this game tonight, it's all on them. It's easy to argue, "well, the referees are to make the game fair," but basketball is basketball, referees aren't playing.
              Sorry this is basketball, and a lot of basketball games are close by their very nature. Currently the Raptors have shot 72 less free throws then the teams they've played against. Maybe if this team was Miami or Boston or OKC we wouldn't need the refs to be fair, but for every other team in the league that's pretty much a must. With the free throw differential we currently start with a 6 point deficit in every game we play. Don't tell me that isn't consequential.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                and this is part of it to. The refs aren't going to bail a team out who is taking (chucking) bad shots in the final seconds of a one point game.

I'm also curious how many people saw the foul on Bargnani before they had the privilege of a close up slow motion instant replay? I know I didn't. And before anyone says "there was obviously a foul because the shot was so short", the refs aren't deciding a game based on an assumption of how uncharacteristic a shot looks.
                I am of the belief that the games should be officiated as fairly and as consistently as possible. Do I blame the refs for some of our losses? Tough to say. I agree with many posters here that there are many other elements to many of the games that you can look at as contributing factors. But what I do get frustrated with is the seemingly similar calls that get whistled at one end and not at the other. The one that sticks out to me this season the most is the principle of verticality calls. Last night Mullens and Haywood would jump with one of our players making contact and no whistle, the same play at the other with JV or Amir is called repeatedly. And in fact is the call that allowed the Cats to tie the game last night. I am encouraged that the boys are fighting hard this year and last night was no different. After that Cats run to start the 4th I felt as though fatigue and the disappointment of many close losses was showing and that the Raps were going to fold, but they fought back and had several chances to win the game. I hope they are able to win a few of these close games and get some confidence going.

Comment

Two things:

1. As one of my former coaches told me: Never leave the game in the hands of the refs. Once you start doing that, you've already lost.

DeMar DeRozan - 5.8
                  Kyle Lowry - 5.2
                  LeBron James - 5.4
                  Chris Paul - 4.9
                  Dwayne Wade - 4.3

Even Andrea averages more FTs per game than guys like Joe Johnson, Pau Gasol and Al Jefferson. The Raps should stop complaining and start hitting their freebies.
                  And yet as a team we have shot 72 less free throws in the games so far. That's an average of six less free throws a game. Let's deal with the stats that matter here.

Comment

Two things:

DeMar DeRozan - 5.8
                    Kyle Lowry - 5.2
                    LeBron James - 5.4
                    Chris Paul - 4.9
                    Dwayne Wade - 4.3

There are such things as consequential and inconsequential free throws in basketball. If DD gets hacked in the 3rd quarter when we're up by 10 and goes to the line, but then when we're down by 1 in the 4th and he doesn't get the call...it doesn't really matter what the average is it's when the guy gets the call. If casey calls a play for DD to take it to the basket at the end of the game and we don't get that call then this stat doesn't really matter.

At the same time, we have shot something like 60% in the past couple of games and this was the difference. Demar missed a key free throw last night when he did get the call, and lowry missed 2 the night before at a key point. When all is said and done, if we shot 80% from the line we would have won the last two games

Comment

I agree that our free throw shooting has been terrible, and that was probably the deciding factor.

But i dont buy into this whole " they never should have let the refs decide it" or " one free throw doesnt make the difference"

All 30 teams are professional teams, large margin wins occur when one team isnt playing at their best. Tight games are going to happen and a foul is a foul.

And im not so upset over the missed call on bargnani, but the touch fouls given to the raptors and the no calls on the other end infuriate me. I have been the biggest defender of officials in the past, its probably the toughest sport to officiate. BUT there is no excuse for the inconsistencies in the whistles.

Comment

Two things:

DeMar DeRozan - 5.8
                        Kyle Lowry - 5.2
                        LeBron James - 5.4
                        Chris Paul - 4.9
                        Dwayne Wade - 4.3

Only one issue with this, if the a guy leads the league in FTA, how can he seemingly not have the respect of the referees? As far as hitting FT's I agree whole heartedly.

Comment

SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
                          Only one issue with this, if the a guy leads the league in FTA, how can he seemingly not have the respect of the referees? As far as hitting FT's I agree whole heartedly.

Derozan has too few FT at the end of games. Makes no sense considering that is when everyone is in the bonus and he is good at getting tot the line.

This has been an ongoing problem for him. Lots of free throws in the first 3 quarters, none in the final minutes.

Comment

Bryan needs to stop shopping for shirts, and get a former official on the payroll to watch and create a report for the league with regards to this situation.

I don't like pointing fingers at the refs either, but I am seeing too many missed calls at the end of games. Saddly, Derozan gets the short end of the stick most of the time.

You nullify our best penetrator for the last couple of minutes, and our shot at winning is slim to none.

Comment

Not saying that the refs didn't screw up and cost us a game yesterday, but the argument about our opposition getting 72 more calls than we did may have something to do with the fact that besides DeMar we dont have anyone going to the rim. Lowry was out for a bunch of games, Jose doesn't penetrate and AB just sits at the 3 point line. That leaves DeMar and JV to do all the work in the paint where fouls happen most often.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                                I don't like pointing fingers at the refs either, but I am seeing too many missed calls at the end of games. Saddly, Derozan gets the short end of the stick most of the time.

You nullify our best penetrator for the last couple of minutes, and our shot at winning is slim to none.
                                +1.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X