Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Take a deep breath

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Take a deep breath

    3-9

    That's the record. There's already lotto and firing Casey talk going on. Last night i was thinking about it all, and the reality is things aren't as bad as they seem. Literally, almost everything that could go wrong has. We lost our best player to injury for a bulk of the games, our (supposed) best scorer has been useless all year and there's been some serious lineup issues. You can put that on Casey, but you can also put that on BC for not having the right personnel.

    Positives:
    - Flying V is better out the gate than i thought he'd be and he's getting better every game
    - Ross seems to finally be settling down and getting confidence. He's shown real potential at both ends of the floor
    - Lowry is awesome
    - Amir AND Ed have stepped their game up this year
    - Calderon is playing the best ball of his career
    - Demar is making all of us eat our words. I couldn't be happier. He's rebounding, shooting better from 3, has handles and i swear ive seen him make some beautiful assists. He's blowing me away.

    I have a feeling BC is going to be active with trades this year. And when you think about it, a player here and a player there with the subtraction of a certain someone would literally make a massive change. The determination and grit has drastically changed on the team, you see Lowry and JV's influence really taking over the team. They're only going to get nastier.

    So yeah, 3-9. Could be a lot worse. I'm optimistic.
    @jerboat

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We don't have a pick.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

    NEVER FORGET... NUMERO OCHO 👌 #saluteJose

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The pick is top 3/15+ protected so if we suck really bad or luck out we get the 3rd pick, but knowing the raptors, we're gonna finish the.season with a ten game winning streak and OKC gets the fourth pick... Or if BC makes a trade and improves our team that we can sneak into the playoffs we keep oir picks as well

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This team has performed better than I expected so far. I didn't have them down for their 3rd win until the game against Detroit on Friday. If we win that one we'll be twice as good as I thought!
    your pal,
    ebrian

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,374
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    This team has performed better than I expected so far. I didn't have them down for their 3rd win until the game against Detroit on Friday. If we win that one we'll be twice as good as I thought!
    ++++1
    It's fine to say that the sky is falling at 3-9 but prior to each game, how many did you think we would win that we didn't? Last night may have seemed like one but those were not the 7 win bobcats, they were the >.500 bobcats. Almost a full quarter of our losses (small sample size excitement!) were the results of a final shot bouncing around the rim before falling in. Lots of close games but we can't close out fourth quarters? More than half of our starting line up have never played together before. It's going to take some time before they have the cohesion to close things out. So, yes, take a deep breath. But break out your steel umbrellas if we lose to Detroit**

    ** there we go..that's part of the problem. Here I am thinking that we are vastly superior to a team that has one less win than us. A team that started the season with seven games against the west. A team that beat the Celtics and sixers. I take back my optimism
    Last edited by Jclaw; Thu Nov 22nd, 2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: realization

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    ++++1
    It's fine to say that the sky is falling at 3-9 but prior to each game, how many did you think we would win that we didn't? Last night may have seemed like one but those were not the 7 win bobcats, they were the >.500 bobcats. Almost a full quarter of our losses (small sample size excitement!) were the results of a final shot bouncing around the rim before falling in. Lots of close games but we can't close out fourth quarters? More than half of our starting line up have never played together before. It's going to take some time before they have the cohesion to close things out. So, yes, take a deep breath. But break out your steel umbrellas if we lose to Detroit**

    ** there we go..that's part of the problem. Here I am thinking that we are vastly superior to a team that has one less win than us. A team that started the season with seven games against the west. A team that beat the Celtics and sixers. I take back my optimism
    that is also a kick in the nuts.

    The bad teams are improving at a faster rate than Toronto. Dunlap deserves all kinds of credit for motivating that team. There is no doubt he has them overachieving. But at the same time he has definitely got the team buying in to the plan. Wait a second, that sounds familiar...... from last year.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    that is also a kick in the nuts.

    The bad teams are improving at a faster rate than Toronto. Dunlap deserves all kinds of credit for motivating that team. There is no doubt he has them overachieving. But at the same time he has definitely got the team buying in to the plan. Wait a second, that sounds familiar...... from last year.
    But isn't that what was expected? That was 75% of my argument against drafting JV. If you sided with drafting JV, then you were also willing to wait 2+ years (not to mention the risk involved) to catch up to the other bad teams of 2011. This is the point of NBA Drafts. You get a player because you sucked, and you develop him, and hope he helps you out in the long run. We didn't have a player to develop last year because our guy was in Europe not learning how to play in the NBA. Charlotte had two, and now they're a much, much better team. While they sucked last season, at least they were making progress. We sucked last year, and then we're going to suck again this year, and start making progress this year. While their two rookies learned how to play in the NBA and gained valuable experience, ours did nothing of the sort. Ours will start learning now, while theirs continue to grow into solid NBA players; learn what it takes to win; hit game winning shots, etc.

    We can look back a few years from now and laugh at this debate if JV is dominating and we're a winning team, but if you're complaining about the slow progress of this team, that's just silly.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    But isn't that what was expected? That was 75% of my argument against drafting JV. If you sided with drafting JV, then you were also willing to wait 2+ years (not to mention the risk involved) to catch up to the other bad teams of 2011. This is the point of NBA Drafts. You get a player because you sucked, and you develop him, and hope he helps you out in the long run. We didn't have a player to develop last year because our guy was in Europe not learning how to play in the NBA. Charlotte had two, and now they're a much, much better team. While they sucked last season, at least they were making progress. We sucked last year, and then we're going to suck again this year, and start making progress this year. While their two rookies learned how to play in the NBA and gained valuable experience, ours did nothing of the sort. Ours will start learning now, while theirs continue to grow into solid NBA players; learn what it takes to win; hit game winning shots, etc.

    We can look back a few years from now and laugh at this debate if JV is dominating and we're a winning team, but if you're complaining about the slow progress of this team, that's just silly.

    The problem in Toronto this season is not JV. It is everyone else (as a whole including coaching) - they have regressed. The Raptors have young veterans who are not getting it done and a 2nd year coach who has not built on the progress of his 1st year.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am very excited about the possibility of replacing Bargnani with assets that are more conducive to a team game of slow it down/grind it out, rebound, defend, and attack the basket from inside out versus the current outside in.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I am very excited about the possibility of replacing Bargnani with assets that are more conducive to winning.
    Fixed.

    A friend of mine said it best -- "are you willing to stake your career on the gamble that you can win with Andrea Bargnani?"
    your pal,
    ebrian

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Fixed.

    A friend of mine said it best -- "are you willing to stake your career on the gamble that you can win with Andrea Bargnani?"
    lol - thanks.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    3-9 is not hopeless and I didn't expect much better. When the season began BC and Co. said they hope to make the play-offs which means that they may not(make the play-offs) just as well. As far as I'm concerned losing is not the problem but losing without an effort is. At-least in 60-65% of the games the effort has been there and it is here that I would like to see improvement.

    When Casey was hired, I was not a fan of the hire especially because Lawrence Frank who I preferred was overlooked. Casey however surprised me with a drastic defensive improvement. Now that the focus has shifted to offence, it doesn't seem like his expertise lies in this area. I think this needs to be addressed.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nice post Ceez, and I'm in agreement on this one. The record is crappy and saying we are better than what are record reflects doesn't mean squat in the NBA, but there are some things to get excited about (JV, DD, Lowry, T.Ross showing signs, tradeable assets etc..).

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    WP Projects 43 wins now. The team is getting better. Yes, Bargnani is still an issue, but our 2 PGs are all-world, our backup PFs are great, our rookie center is already productive and actually DeMar is close to being above average!

    http://www.thenbageek.com/teams/tor?...ort=%22WP48%22

    I know WP is not gospel, but hey, it's something.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ed Davis
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Amir Johnson
    Quincy Acy
    Kyle Lowry
    Aaron Gray
    Dominic McGuire
    Linas Kleiza
    Landry Fields
    DeMar DeRozan

    Q: What do the above players have in common?
    A: They all have more rebounds/48 than Bargnan

    So, in a starting lineup of JV, AB, LF, DD, KL our starting PF would average the least rebounds, given equal minutes. Nice!

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    Ed Davis
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Amir Johnson
    Quincy Acy
    Kyle Lowry
    Aaron Gray
    Dominic McGuire
    Linas Kleiza
    Landry Fields
    DeMar DeRozan

    Q: What do the above players have in common?
    A: They all have more rebounds/48 than Bargnan

    So, in a starting lineup of JV, AB, LF, DD, KL our starting PF would average the least rebounds, given equal minutes. Nice!
    Yeah but he's a matchup freakin' nightmare!!! :|
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,801
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wonder if we could get David Lee ... dudes been awesome this year.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I wonder if we could get David Lee ... dudes been awesome this year.
    Not a big fan of his defense though, but he's a great rebounder, solid offensive player, but Golden state are trying to change their culture too would they trade for Bargnani?

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good post Ceez, I'm not a fan of Bargs, but it's only 12 games in let's relax on the guy. If we can trade him...awesome, if not then hopefully Casey figures out how to utilize him better. I'm also waiting for Lowry to be the voice in the locker room, I get the sense that he might already be (looking at the way Demar has been playing) but sometimes it takes some adjusting from the rest of the team. I'm loving Lowry and hope we're not rushing him back too soon.

    Lastly, keep in mind all these games (with the exception of OKC) have been soooooo close, with a little more experience from both players and coaching we'll be able to close these suckers out as long as the refs let us.

    Let's go Raps!
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote pillowmint wrote: View Post
    Good post Ceez, I'm not a fan of Bargs, but it's only 12 games in let's relax on the guy. If we can trade him...awesome, if not then hopefully Casey figures out how to utilize him better.
    Maybe it's been 12 games since you've been paying attention. It's actually been 397 games.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •