Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 229

Thread: Detroit game

  1. #201
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I got to go to sleep... just so there are no ruffled feathers.

    Terrance Ross is the greatest rookie ever, and JV is the best center in the whole NBA. Drummond should be waived ASAP.


    good night

  2. #202
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,526
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    that is why you will have to look more carefully at their min% before jumping to conclusions.
    numbers dont lie. matt D lies.
    Numbers always lie. Just look at Adam morrison and you'll know

  3. #203
    Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    +/- is also granted to the fact that bench players play bench players.
    Val goes up against the starting center, night in and night out.

  4. #204
    Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It took me a few years of basketball to stop following stats, and begin actually judging the different aspects of a players game.

    I don't blame other folks for making sweeping statements based on stats, but I wish they'd stop.

  5. #205
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It took me years of ass-talking before I started looking up advanced stats for professional ballers and saw the difference between blue collar streaky players from genuine stars.

  6. #206
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dont care if you dont rate Drummonds game or appreciate his talent. But when you diss numbers now thats personal :P

  7. #207
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,526
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    #advancedstatssuck

  8. #208
    Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Advanced stats are a good tool, but are dependent on the actual events on the court. There are many causal factors beyond the player, that affect stats.

    For instance, playing against the bench vs playing against starters, how well your team is doing, how your coach plays you, with whom the coach plays you, your role on the team, whether you get benched quick for playing bad or are allowed to play through mistakes, which option on offense are you, etc.

  9. #209
    Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Listen Amir is the best player on this team stat wise. But 5 amirs on this team will not help us win. Amir getting 48 minutes wont help us win. There are so many more factors in basketball, stop narrowing your mind to ONLY stats.

  10. #210
    Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Thats a bold statement with nothing to back you up on it. Valanciunas is easily more skilled in every category, he's the leader in rebounds for rookies. Better FT shooter, Shooter in general, Way better hands, nice hook shot, moves his feet on D, and works his tail off on both ends.
    Free throws are Drummonds' achilles heel. Apart from that, he has a PER of 22.34. That's higher than Lillard, MKG, and every other rookie except Anthony Davis.

  11. #211
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Anyone else calling the Raps to foul Drummond in the last 2 minutes, when the Raps were up? He was 1/6 at the line and you know Detroit is going to hit a game winner.

  12. #212
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    When you see Austin Daye and Quincy Acy at the top you know its just stupid.
    Austin Daye has played 10 1/2 minutes this season and Quincy Acy 16 minutes ..,

  13. #213
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    Anyone else calling the Raps to foul Drummond in the last 2 minutes, when the Raps were up? He was 1/6 at the line and you know Detroit is going to hit a game winner.
    +1. Worst case scenario, he makes 50% of them

  14. #214
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,737
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow.

    Just watched the game.

    Wow.

    What else is there to say?

    Wow.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  15. #215
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,737
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Actually, there is something to say:

    Bargnani played fabulous offense, he looked like he gave a shit, and the first night he truly shows up, no one else does minus JV (effort was there but unfortunately got owned by Drummond on the glass and I am not sure about playing a rookie 7fter when he is noticeably limping, but I'm sure trainers and JV knew best). I don't include Lowry because he continues to make really bad decisions.

    Oh yeah, one more thing: Wow.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  16. #216
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm glad Lowry took that shot at the end. When he played hero ball there, I was actually happy. Not with the outcome of course, but he's the only guy in my opinion capable to take a shot like that. We haven't had a guy like that since Vince, and although Lowry struggled a bit, I'd always want the ball in his hands at the end of the game to make a play, even if it was for himself.

    We were talking about Lowry being an alpha dog in the off season. This is what alpha dogs do. They want the ball when the game is on the line.

    What ticks me off is how easily Knight was able to score for them to take the lead. We were like Moses parting the red seas. How hard would it be to clog the damn paint.

  17. #217
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,737
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm glad Lowry took that shot at the end. When he played hero ball there, I was actually happy. Not with the outcome of course, but he's the only guy in my opinion capable to take a shot like that. We haven't had a guy like that since Vince, and although Lowry struggled a bit, I'd always want the ball in his hands at the end of the game to make a play, even if it was for himself.

    We were talking about Lowry being an alpha dog in the off season. This is what alpha dogs do. They want the ball when the game is on the line.

    What ticks me off is how easily Knight was able to score for them to take the lead. We were like Moses parting the red seas. How hard would it be to clog the damn paint.
    I do like Lowry, very much in fact. I also love the fact he has humongous testicles and is not afraid to be 'the guy'.

    What I don't like is the decisions in close games and/or the number of attempts to be the man.

    Maybe I'm splitting hairs but this is what I'd like to see:

    1) Less frequency of hero ball. If he is doing it 8-10 times a game cut it back to under 5. Every time in a close game trying to be the one to make it happen on your own, is not the best way to play. This leads in to #2:

    2) Be the man and step up within the team framework. Instead of taking the big shot in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock, work the ball around and hope it comes back with a better opportunity to make something happen, after the defense has rotated a couple of times and they are more tired and less focused. Maybe this is more poor coaching/play calling/lack of faith in teammates (not just in Lowry) to work together for a better shot. Who knows.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  18. #218
    Raptors Republic Starter KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    605
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lowry is going to take shots like that. We have to live with it, because the alpha mentality is what makes him good at the other aspects of the game. We shouldn't have let it come to a final shot. I agree with Matt though, I'd like to see the Hero shots cut down a bit. I think that we need a good offensive assistant coach, because I don't think Casey can handle it.

    I was expecting 37 wins or so this season. If we play .500 the rest of the year we'll get that. In order for that to occur, last night needs to have been a turning point for Bargnani and we need to do something to address the SF spot. At this point I'd like to see Kleiza start, because he can't possibly be worse than our "lockdown defender" Dominic "I can shoot" Mcguire. Really, we need to move Amir or ED as part of a package for help on the wing.

  19. #219
    Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Lowry is going to take shots like that. We have to live with it, because the alpha mentality is what makes him good at the other aspects of the game. We shouldn't have let it come to a final shot. I agree with Matt though, I'd like to see the Hero shots cut down a bit. I think that we need a good offensive assistant coach, because I don't think Casey can handle it.

    I was expecting 37 wins or so this season. If we play .500 the rest of the year we'll get that. In order for that to occur, last night needs to have been a turning point for Bargnani and we need to do something to address the SF spot. At this point I'd like to see Kleiza start, because he can't possibly be worse than our "lockdown defender" Dominic "I can shoot" Mcguire. Really, we need to move Amir or ED as part of a package for help on the wing.
    move bargnani as a package for our wing, and this post gets a +1.

  20. #220
    Raptors Republic Starter KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    605
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    move bargnani as a package for our wing, and this post gets a +1.
    If I thought moving Bargnani was possible, let alone that it would bring back a wing, then yeah. I just don't see a trading partner at this time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •