Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frustration Spilling Over The Media Too?

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustration Spilling Over The Media Too?

After reading some forum posts of late, there's no denying that frustration is spreading throughout the fan base. Perhaps the NHL lockout or news of the Jays upgrading has the core die-hard Raptor fan more worked up as the losses continue to pile up. Upon reading Raptorblog's Scott Carefoot's final post as he bid farewell to his long-time followers, I was surprised to read his super frank feelings about the team he covered for the past 10 years (given his role as a supposedly objective member of the media). Please read his final post here.

I'm not sure how you feel about Scott Carefoot as a journalist, or him as a member of the media. His imprint at the Score's Raptorblog for the past 10 years however was undeniable and has been a fixture amongst basketball fans in this country. Do you concur with his assessment, or is he another one that needs to "take a breath"?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I really disagree with him. When you think about it, the team really hasn't done anything. It's kind of depressing, actually.

Anyways, what's going on with the Score? They seem to be losing people by the week.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Can't say I really disagree with him. When you think about it, the team really hasn't done anything. It's kind of depressing, actually.

Anyways, what's going on with the Score? They seem to be losing people by the week.
    Nothing bad but I believe the Rogers acquisition may have something to do with it. My buddy who works there wouldn't say it for obvious reasons, but I think Rogers may be re-structuring the network.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Nothing bad but I believe the Rogers acquisition may have something to do with it. My buddy who works there wouldn't say it for obvious reasons, but I think Rogers may be re-structuring the network.
    It's a shame, the Score is the only sports media channel that actually felt real.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I've noticed Matt and Jack/Leo have become increasingly agitated about the officials this year. They're not pulling many punches when talking about the calls.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Also, I've noticed Matt and Jack/Leo have become increasingly agitated about the officials this year. They're not pulling many punches when talking about the calls.
    I don't see a lot of other NBA games other than the Raptors.... career, family, friends, etc. just not enough time. However, many people are talking about the poor officiating league wide.

The cynic in me thinks Matt and Jack/Leo are doing anything they can to take the pressure/accountability off the franchise.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nice find - I totally agree

This franchise has finally sapped my will to give a crap about it.
    hopes dashed... waiting... and waiting... each year I tune out the Raptors 10 games sooner

barglazy and NBA match fixers *ahem* refs Even Casey's coaching is puke worthy.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we need an incident then.... I am thinking Leo jumps over the scorer's table and starts choking a zebra.

Devlin tags in and close lines the said Zebra and both the other zebras act as if they did not see anything at all.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Fri Nov 23rd, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rogers acquisition of the Score was only for the television rights, web has been left alone and they are starting Score web as a solo entity.

I loved the article. How nice it that someone has just be straight to their readers. Scott treated us as he would want to be treated, you think grumpy assholes like Doug Smith would even bother?

I love that the media landscape is slowly starting to change. So glad that there are funny, great writers from the Score, and a couple of the indy blogs (not mine...we're not there yet haha) are giving awesome opinion, they know the league, and they're not in the pocket of the NBA or MLSE. It's good to have.
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure how you feel about Scott Carefoot as a journalist, or him as a member of the media.
    He's not a journalist.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m tired of pointing out problems that almost everybody except for the employees of this franchise seem capable of understanding — or willing to change because ongoing profitability makes those changes unnecessary.
    It wasn’t the ongoing incompetence that destroyed my passion for this team, it was the tolerance for that incompetence.
    Nothing else needs to be added

Post Thanks / Like

The Raps were lucky the last week or so that every people/media in TO were talking about the Blue Jays moves. Now that it's all back to normal in Blue Jays land and the NHL is still locked out. Every eye will be on the Raps. And the way they're playing right now, they're not just gaining any new fans they're also losing some of their diehard fans. They are just tough to watch right now.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

too whiny. He's lucky he wasn't blogging about the clippers, wizards, knicks, or golden state during the same time,

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    too whiny. He's lucky he wasn't blogging about the clippers, wizards, knicks, or golden state during the same time,
    So because 4 teams have had similiar runs it's OK? You realize 20 or so teams have had much more success? Don't really know why the Clip show is in there, I'd take there entire miserable history to have Paul and Griffin now.

Post Thanks / Like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ippers_seasons

from 1976 - 1992 the clippers missed the playoffs.
    thats 16 years.

Imagine a reporter for those clippers, I doubt he whined as hard as this blogger did.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

No Im saying he's melodramatic about it. There were much worse decades for many more teams in NBA history, than a division championship, 1 second round, and 4 first round playoff appearances in 12 years. Its not a sparkling record, but historically speaking, he's whining.

Post Thanks / Like

No Im saying he's melodramatic about it. There were much worse decades for many more teams in NBA history, than a division championship, 1 second round, and 4 first round playoff appearances in 12 years. Its not a sparkling record, but historically speaking, he's whining.
    Because there are a handful of worse franchise over specific time periods over the history of the NBA... its not that bad?

If thats the logic, Hitler wasn't that bad because of the Egyptians, Turks and Romans. So why do people keep whining about him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Because there are a handful of worse franchise over specific time periods over the history of the NBA... its not that bad?

If thats the logic, Hitler wasn't that bad because of the Egyptians, Turks and Romans. So why do people keep whining about him?
    Craiger. That was a terrible analogy. I know how easy it is to fall into the "lets compare things to hitler" mentality, but the raptors are not hitler.

And yes, because everything is relative, you describe a bad situation through all possible better situations.
    Its more common to have franchises go through 10 years of crap then you think. And when I say crap, I mean 10x worse than what the raptors have it.

I cant believe youre going to make me list out every franchises bad runs, and how relatively better our past 12 years have been:

Clippers between 1976 - 2005 reached the first round 3 times. thats 29 years.
    Golden State, from 1994- 2012 got to the playoffs once, and got to the second round that sole time. Thats 18 years.
    The Boston Celtics missed playoffs 6 years in a row!
    Chicago Bulls missed playoffs 6 years in a row,
    Bobcats in 8 years have made one first round appearance.
    Indiana from 1976 - 1989 made the first round only twice. Thats 13 years.
    Hawks missed the playoffs 8 years in a row,
    Nets from 1986 - 2001 made the first round four times. thats 15 years.
    Kings from 1984 - 1998 made the first round twice. Thats 14 years.
    Jazz missed the playoffs 9 years in a row.
    Wizards from 1988 - 2004 made the first round once. Thats 16 years.
    Timberwolves missed the playoffs consecutively once for 7 years and another stretch for 8 years.

I really want to go on and continue listing the terrible decades most franchises have been through, but I wont, you can search them up yourself.

The toronto raptors have ever only been out of the playoffs a MAX 4 years. With a division championship, and a 2nd round appearance, we have had it fairly well. Imagine all the millions of fans and all the writers who dealt with all those years for those respective clubs above. Millions of people dealing with many bigger failures than the Raptors franchise, BY FAR.

The writer of the piece mentioned by the OP is a whiny kid, many more reporters have stuck through thick and thin, so that when their teams finally DO become contenders, they can say they've been fans from the start. It is a much sweeter victory that way.

Consider yourself enlightened.

Post Thanks / Like

Craiger. That was a terrible analogy. I know how easy it is to fall into the "lets compare things to hitler" mentality, but the raptors are not hitler.

And yes, because everything is relative, you describe a bad situation through all possible better situations.
    Its more common to have franchises go through 10 years of crap then you think. And when I say crap, I mean 10x worse than what the raptors have it.

I cant believe youre going to make me list out every franchises bad runs, and how relatively better our past 12 years have been:

Golden State, from 1994- 2012 got to the playoffs once, and got to the second round that sole time. Thats 18 years.
    Timberwolves missed the playoffs consecutively once for 7 years and another stretch for 8 years.

I really want to go on and continue listing the terrible decades most franchises have been through, but I wont, you can search them up yourself.

The toronto raptors have ever only been out of the playoffs a MAX 4 years. With a division championship, and a 2nd round appearance, we have had it fairly well. Imagine all the millions of fans and all the writers who dealt with all those years for those respective clubs above. Millions of people dealing with many bigger failures than the Raptors franchise, BY FAR.

The writer of the piece mentioned by the OP is a whiny kid, many more reporters have stuck through thick and thin, so that when their teams finally DO become contenders, they can say they've been fans from the start. It is a much sweeter victory that way.

I never claimed the Raptors were Hitler nor did I compare them to Hitler.

My analogy goes directly to this idea of 'relativity'.

But if you are satisfied with justifying your belief by comapring this team to some of the worst in NBA history, I doubt there is much to say that would have much influence anyways.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. Now i don't feel like shit haha. Well our franchise is relatively young so i guess we got a lot of time to build some respect and establish ourselves as one of the premier teams in the league. We got a long ways to go though and right now it's looking pretty rough

Thread Information