Reasons for Optimism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    A bit off topic but want to throw this out there....has anyone followed the rumblings about the possibility that Leiweke is looking to leave MLSE?

I first heard this in apost mortem of an appearance on the Bob McCown 590 show where he apparently said his work was about done after the hiring of Shanahan for the Leafs...and the Raptors & TFC in good hands and on their way.
    Noooooooooooooo.

Really?

No.

No.

No.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Interesting. I haven't heard this. But seems to make sense. Now that all the key managerial positions have been filled (for all franchises), what is there left for Lieweke to do?
      Finish the job?

He has always talked about working with his GM's to ensure they had what they needed.

How is he going to plan any parade routes if he is not head of MLSE?
      How is it going to look to NBA people when the guy brags about the city but jumps out at first opportunity?

I really hope this is not true.

Comment

Interesting. I haven't heard this. But seems to make sense. Now that all the key managerial positions have been filled (for all franchises), what is there left for Lieweke to do?
        Change the weather patterns?

This was last night. The murmurs were that the board was in a bit of disarray (Rogers & Bell notgetting along), hedoesnt like the weather (which is curious because that is a f/a refrain!) or he is looking for a bigger challenge (like getting an NFL team...hint the Bills).

Comment

The Leafs aren’t close to talented enough to win a Stanley Cup, so vision will be required. But all in all, this is Leiweke’s show now, though who knows for how long. Leiweke talks a lot about how dreadful the winter was, and there are whispers that wrestling with the competing telecommunication giants that own the place is not what you’d call a satisfying experience. Of course, nobody knows just how happy the giants are, either. The notion that Shanahan would be groomed as Leiweke’s successor was floated this week, even if Shanahan is a long way from being the same level of political, hyper-corporate figure. For what it’s worth, when flatly asked if he was searching for a successor, Leiweke laughed.

“No,” he said. “We don’t do that damn parade, I’ll never live it down.”

That’s a lot of winters away, more than likely. Better bundle up.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...-right-things/
          He can't go until he plans a parade.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I heard rumblings too. Apparently a source he worked with at AEG said if Toronto can't get an NFL team in 3 years that he's gone. I'm really hope he stays regardless though. The whole attitude and culture of MLSE starts with him. Successful sports teams would do wonders for the city economically and in the community. It's amazing how sports can really bring people together.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              I heard rumblings too. Apparently a source he worked with at AEG said if Toronto can't get an NFL team in 3 years that he's gone. I'm really hope he stays regardless though. The whole attitude and culture of MLSE starts with him. Successful sports teams would do wonders for the city economically and in the community. It's amazing how sports can really bring people together.
              Then he will likely be gone.

They need a stadium and an individual to own at least 30% of a team, I believe.

Comment

Then he will likely be gone.

They need a stadium and an individual to own at least 30% of a team, I believe.

Comment

Finish the job?

He has always talked about working with his GM's to ensure they had what they needed.

How is he going to plan any parade routes if he is not head of MLSE?
                  How is it going to look to NBA people when the guy brags about the city but jumps out at first opportunity?

I really hope this is not true.
                  I'm thinking it's more up to Masai to finish the job now. That is, win a championship.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer for Lieweke to stay, but I won't be heartbroken if/when he leaves, knowing we have a solid management team in place to make basketball decisions.

Comment

I dont understand this "grooming Shanahan" nonsense. Not to disparage but how does putting Shanahan in as topdog over basketball & soccer make any sense? Great hockey player but can he shark it out in the boardroom and schmooze with business types and politicians. This is just some musings by a hockey puck scribe I believe having a wet dream about the Leaf guy lording over the empire. Gawd it never ends.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                      If a Toronto group bought the Bills, we couldn't move them until 2020, which gives us plenty of time to build a stadium. Leiweke also talked about expansion (adding a LA team and Toronto team makes a good bit of sense). Either way, Leiweke is going to be here a long time if he wants to bring an NFL team. It's not something you can just do in a year or two.

Basically, I think this all comes down to a quote taken out of context.

Comment

I'm thinking it's more up to Masai to finish the job now. That is, win a championship.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer for Lieweke to stay, but I won't be heartbroken if/when he leaves, knowing we have a solid management team in place to make basketball decisions.
                        It makes zero sense for Leiweke to leave before any Toronto teams win championships. If he does, then all of his credit will go to whoever finished the job and he'll be the guy that couldn't get the teams there.

This whole talk really pisses me off. We just fucking hired the guy, and there is already talk of him leaving. It's classic Toronto ugly stepchild bullshit.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Back when Bargnani, Calderon, Davis and Kleiza were part of the core, Valanciunas & Ross were rookies, and Lowry was newly acquired?

How can anybody possibly make a statement that having faith in the team's core back then equates to being right about the success of this current team? Aside from DeRozan & Amir, those are entirely different teams! lol

Different roster, different core, different GM, different ownership/senior management, different assistant coaches, hell we even had a different mascot for half the bloody season! haha The quest for one-upsmanship is never-ending for some, I suppose.
                          enlightenment wrote: View Post

Now that we have soften those losses, lets talk about positives, and why this team is exciting:

-JV is the real deal. Rookie mistakes and lack of experience still a factor, and will be for a while, but he has met my hype in the off-season and is right on track!
                          -Lowry came in with MVP numbers to start the season, before the injury. Before the game where he got hurt, he was tied with Harden at the top of the league in Eff. (Yet only Harden got any media attention for that stretch)
                          -Derozan has shown massive strides towards becoming a more complete player. He is right on track to developing into the player we all are hoping he can be!
                          -Calderon was the 2nd best PG in the LEAGUE during kyle lowrys injuries, including 1 triple double, an 18ast night, and 5 consecutive 10+ ast games. His numbers as a starter are incredible.
                          -Ed is showing an awareness and activity on the court Ive never seen before. Despite his minutes being shot in the arm, when he is on the floor, I feel it (whereas before, he did his work quietly) I love his development, and wish for him to get more minutes!
                          -Ross has the tools. A silky jumper + great defensive ability on the perimeter. From what I have seen, I consider him the best close-out defender + shot contester on this team. Wait for his nerves to cool, and for the game to slow down for him. He fits a much needed role and will succeed at it, but is currently failing to produce as a rookie.

Overall, not only do I see a stronger core than ever in a raptors uniform (JV - Derozan - Lowry), but I see the potential for others on the roster to join (Ross). Calderon, if he gets traded, will bring back sweeter fruits, and if he stays all the better!

Ages of our players going forward:
                          Lowry - 26/27
                          Derozan - 23
                          JV - 20
                          Ross - 21
                          Ed - 23
                          Amir - 25
                          Fields - 24

Seeing as how 3/5 of our starters are 24 and under, and our 'vets' are 27, I LOVE the room for improvement in this current squad.

Its like you did not even read the post.

Look at what I said about the core that I claimed we should move forward with. I was clearly saying Bargs is not part of the core. I was clearly saying that we need to look at Demar, Lowry, Ross, and Val, and how they will become complete. This is a time when people were still luke-warm about Lowry, people thought Ross was a scrub, and everyone was yelling to trade Demar.

Jeezus. Dont throw vitriol at me if you didn't even read what I said.
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Congratulations. You're a blind-optimism, super fan who stayed optimistic long enough for your vision to become reality - with new ownership, front office, coaching staff, scouts, and supporting cast.
                            Im pretty sure I gave legit reasons to why the core of Lowry-Derozan-Ross-Val was going to be good. Not only is this core now one of the best Raptors teams ever, but this core has succeeded exactly in the way I said. Lowry became our MVP, Derozan became a more complete player (assists, 3pt, etc), Ross is a perfect fit with his silky shot and defensive potential, and Val is going to be just as good as advertised.

Those were literally what I said 2 years ago and today its gone pretty close to what I imagined (minus Landry + Ed).
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              This is a time when people were still luke-warm about Lowry, people thought Ross was a scrub, and everyone was yelling to trade Demar.

Jeezus. Dont throw vitriol at me if you didn't even read what I said.
                              I've never called Ross a scrub, nor have I yelled to trade Demar.
                              So should I be saying "I told you so" as well?

Comment

If you make enough predictions, some are bound to work out.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X