Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 120

Thread: Reasons for Optimism

  1. #81
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    I heard rumblings too. Apparently a source he worked with at AEG said if Toronto can't get an NFL team in 3 years that he's gone. I'm really hope he stays regardless though. The whole attitude and culture of MLSE starts with him. Successful sports teams would do wonders for the city economically and in the community. It's amazing how sports can really bring people together.
    Then he will likely be gone.

    They need a stadium and an individual to own at least 30% of a team, I believe.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  2. #82
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Then he will likely be gone.

    They need a stadium and an individual to own at least 30% of a team, I believe.

  3. #83
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Finish the job?

    He has always talked about working with his GM's to ensure they had what they needed.

    How is he going to plan any parade routes if he is not head of MLSE?
    How is it going to look to NBA people when the guy brags about the city but jumps out at first opportunity?


    I really hope this is not true.
    I'm thinking it's more up to Masai to finish the job now. That is, win a championship.

    Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer for Lieweke to stay, but I won't be heartbroken if/when he leaves, knowing we have a solid management team in place to make basketball decisions.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  4. #84
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,628
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He can't go until he plans a parade.
    I dont understand this "grooming Shanahan" nonsense. Not to disparage but how does putting Shanahan in as topdog over basketball & soccer make any sense? Great hockey player but can he shark it out in the boardroom and schmooze with business types and politicians. This is just some musings by a hockey puck scribe I believe having a wet dream about the Leaf guy lording over the empire. Gawd it never ends.

  5. Like CalgaryRapsFan, Nilanka liked this post
  6. #85
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    I heard rumblings too. Apparently a source he worked with at AEG said if Toronto can't get an NFL team in 3 years that he's gone. I'm really hope he stays regardless though. The whole attitude and culture of MLSE starts with him. Successful sports teams would do wonders for the city economically and in the community. It's amazing how sports can really bring people together.
    If a Toronto group bought the Bills, we couldn't move them until 2020, which gives us plenty of time to build a stadium. Leiweke also talked about expansion (adding a LA team and Toronto team makes a good bit of sense). Either way, Leiweke is going to be here a long time if he wants to bring an NFL team. It's not something you can just do in a year or two.

    Basically, I think this all comes down to a quote taken out of context.

  7. Like stooley liked this post
  8. #86
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm thinking it's more up to Masai to finish the job now. That is, win a championship.

    Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer for Lieweke to stay, but I won't be heartbroken if/when he leaves, knowing we have a solid management team in place to make basketball decisions.
    It makes zero sense for Leiweke to leave before any Toronto teams win championships. If he does, then all of his credit will go to whoever finished the job and he'll be the guy that couldn't get the teams there.

    This whole talk really pisses me off. We just fucking hired the guy, and there is already talk of him leaving. It's classic Toronto ugly stepchild bullshit.

  9. #87
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Back when Bargnani, Calderon, Davis and Kleiza were part of the core, Valanciunas & Ross were rookies, and Lowry was newly acquired?

    How can anybody possibly make a statement that having faith in the team's core back then equates to being right about the success of this current team? Aside from DeRozan & Amir, those are entirely different teams! lol

    Different roster, different core, different GM, different ownership/senior management, different assistant coaches, hell we even had a different mascot for half the bloody season! haha The quest for one-upsmanship is never-ending for some, I suppose.
    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post

    Now that we have soften those losses, lets talk about positives, and why this team is exciting:

    -JV is the real deal. Rookie mistakes and lack of experience still a factor, and will be for a while, but he has met my hype in the off-season and is right on track!
    -Lowry came in with MVP numbers to start the season, before the injury. Before the game where he got hurt, he was tied with Harden at the top of the league in Eff. (Yet only Harden got any media attention for that stretch)
    -Derozan has shown massive strides towards becoming a more complete player. He is right on track to developing into the player we all are hoping he can be!
    -Calderon was the 2nd best PG in the LEAGUE during kyle lowrys injuries, including 1 triple double, an 18ast night, and 5 consecutive 10+ ast games. His numbers as a starter are incredible.
    -Ed is showing an awareness and activity on the court Ive never seen before. Despite his minutes being shot in the arm, when he is on the floor, I feel it (whereas before, he did his work quietly) I love his development, and wish for him to get more minutes!
    -Ross has the tools. A silky jumper + great defensive ability on the perimeter. From what I have seen, I consider him the best close-out defender + shot contester on this team. Wait for his nerves to cool, and for the game to slow down for him. He fits a much needed role and will succeed at it, but is currently failing to produce as a rookie.

    Overall, not only do I see a stronger core than ever in a raptors uniform (JV - Derozan - Lowry), but I see the potential for others on the roster to join (Ross). Calderon, if he gets traded, will bring back sweeter fruits, and if he stays all the better!

    Ages of our players going forward:
    Lowry - 26/27
    Derozan - 23
    JV - 20
    Ross - 21
    Ed - 23
    Amir - 25
    Fields - 24


    Seeing as how 3/5 of our starters are 24 and under, and our 'vets' are 27, I LOVE the room for improvement in this current squad.

    Its like you did not even read the post.

    Look at what I said about the core that I claimed we should move forward with. I was clearly saying Bargs is not part of the core. I was clearly saying that we need to look at Demar, Lowry, Ross, and Val, and how they will become complete. This is a time when people were still luke-warm about Lowry, people thought Ross was a scrub, and everyone was yelling to trade Demar.

    Jeezus. Dont throw vitriol at me if you didn't even read what I said.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  10. #88
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Congratulations. You're a blind-optimism, super fan who stayed optimistic long enough for your vision to become reality - with new ownership, front office, coaching staff, scouts, and supporting cast.
    Im pretty sure I gave legit reasons to why the core of Lowry-Derozan-Ross-Val was going to be good. Not only is this core now one of the best Raptors teams ever, but this core has succeeded exactly in the way I said. Lowry became our MVP, Derozan became a more complete player (assists, 3pt, etc), Ross is a perfect fit with his silky shot and defensive potential, and Val is going to be just as good as advertised.

    Those were literally what I said 2 years ago and today its gone pretty close to what I imagined (minus Landry + Ed).
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  11. #89
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    This is a time when people were still luke-warm about Lowry, people thought Ross was a scrub, and everyone was yelling to trade Demar.

    Jeezus. Dont throw vitriol at me if you didn't even read what I said.
    I've never called Ross a scrub, nor have I yelled to trade Demar.
    So should I be saying "I told you so" as well?
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  12. #90
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you make enough predictions, some are bound to work out.

  13. #91
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    I've never called Ross a scrub, nor have I yelled to trade Demar.
    So should I be saying "I told you so" as well?
    Well during that season, thats precisely what this board was doing. I only wrote this post as a reaction to the extreme negativity that was witnessed at the time.

    If you argued to keep this core together, then yeah ofcourse, you were right.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  14. #92
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Well during that season, thats precisely what this board was doing. I only wrote this post as a reaction to the extreme negativity that was witnessed at the time.

    If you argued to keep this core together, then yeah ofcourse, you were right.
    Sweet! HAH I told all of you losers!!! Eat it Matt!

    Hrmm... no that makes me look like a douche... Ahem.. Sorry about that guys.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  15. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  16. #93
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    If you make enough predictions some are bound to happen.
    ive been consistently arguing with the Matt for more than 2 years about this. This is not a matter of quantity of predictions, as Ive stuck to the same guns.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  17. #94
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Sweet! HAH I told all of you losers!!! Eat it Matt!

    Hrmm... no that makes me look like a douche... Ahem.. Sorry about that guys.
    Eh, I think everyone on this site could use a little humble-pie -- myself included.

    Bringing up old arguments might not be such a terrible idea...

    I'm sure I could find some stupid stuff that enlightenment said too though.

  18. #95
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Eh, I think everyone on this site could use a little humble-pie -- myself included.

    Bringing up old arguments might not be such a terrible idea...

    I'm sure I could find some stupid stuff that enlightenment said too though.
    Opinions change over time though (based on new information). Bringing up old arguments, and judging them based on today, completely loses the context in which the old arguments were made in.

    "Haha, can you believe that douche? He spent $300 on a Sony Walkman when he could've just bought an iPod today".
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  19. #96
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Eh, I think everyone on this site could use a little humble-pie -- myself included.

    Bringing up old arguments might not be such a terrible idea...

    I'm sure I could find some stupid stuff that enlightenment said too though.
    So arguments about the future should be had and then forgotten? Never revisited to see what lessons were learned? How wrong/right our convictions were?

    Ofcourse Ive said stupid things, but when you're right, you're right.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  20. #97
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    ive been consistently arguing with the Matt for more than 2 years about this. This is not a matter of quantity of predictions, as Ive stuck to the same guns.
    Well you were a little off about Ed Davis there

    But no, I agree, you did have faith, and it wasn't misplaced.

  21. #98
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Opinions change over time though (based on new information). Bringing up old arguments, and judging them based on today, completely loses the context in which the old arguments were made in.

    "Haha, can you believe that douche? He spent $300 on a Sony Walkman when he could've just bought an iPod today".
    Well when the argument itself involves the future prospects of certain players/teams, the only way to assess the outcome is by waiting for the future.

    It's a little more like saying: "Haha, can you believe that douche? He invested in blackberry instead of apple!"

  22. #99
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Well you were a little off about Ed Davis there

    But no, I agree, you did have faith, and it wasn't misplaced.
    I feel if we kept him he couldve blossomed. I actually feel bad for him as his stock is at a low but he is such a high character guy. You know he is one of the few raptors I met. Once at a dairy queen (He was with Alabi, they were asking for McFlurries at a DQ LOL)
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  23. #100
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    So arguments about the future should be had and then forgotten? Never revisited to see what lessons were learned? How wrong/right our convictions were?

    Ofcourse Ive said stupid things, but when you're right, you're right.
    That's kind of the same point as I was making in my post, I think you misinterpreted my tone.

  24. Like enlightenment liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •