Reasons for Optimism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    It's not a story about shuffling around the worker bees. It's a story about management. Establishing a successful organizational culture doesn't start with the minions, it starts with the head honcho. If MLSE wants to send a message that "fucking around time is over", cleaning out the front office (and I do mean cleaning it out) is the place to start.
    I think MLSE under new ownership of Rogers and Bell has shown that the "fucking around time is over."

Comment

This is the closest thing to travelling back in time.
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        It's not a story about shuffling around the worker bees. It's a story about management. Establishing a successful organizational culture doesn't start with the minions, it starts with the head honcho. If MLSE wants to send a message that "fucking around time is over", cleaning out the front office (and I do mean cleaning it out) is the place to start.
        Masai?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Since we are cherry picking comments, perusing the thread, I find this hilarious.

Yeah, Masai sure unraveled this teams development!

Lets start the #BBB campaign!

#BringBackBryan
          Did you even re-read the thread? I said I was giving Bryant the season to trade Bargnani. Once he failed to do that, I wished him gone as well.

One thing you guys cannot deny; I was screaming for the core to stick together, all the reasons that I gave still stand today. This was back when people were calling Ross a scrub. I was optimistic when this entire board was freaking out, and I never wavered. Now this core will be known as the best Raptors team in franchise history.

Sorry if after 2 years of arguing with you Matt52 about what this team can do, this team showed you up. Not me, I am not the one that showed you up, its the team you wished to dismantle that did it.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
            Did you even re-read the thread? I said I was giving Bryant the season to trade Bargnani. Once he failed to do that, I wished him gone as well.

One thing you guys cannot deny; I was screaming for the core to stick together, all the reasons that I gave still stand today. This was back when people were calling Ross a scrub. I was optimistic when this entire board was freaking out, and I never wavered. Now this core will be known as the best Raptors team in franchise history.

Sorry if after 2 years of arguing with you Matt52 about what this team can do, this team showed you up. Not me, I am not the one that showed you up, its the team you wished to dismantle that did it.
            Technically, you were wrong for 2 years....

Comment

Pretty impressive to remain positive after that long stretch of incredibly narrow losses you mentioned in the OP. That's the one thing I will give you.
              That was just brutal and kinda broke my spirit for that season. They played pretty well in those games but just couldn't get over the line in any of them.

Oh well, worked out in the end

Comment

And let's not forget that simply making the playoffs isn't much to brag about. This team needs to advance before being cemented a strong core.

Comment

The team that was successful this season, is NOT the team that caused the wave of pro-tank sentiment. That team had Bargnani and Gay, which was obviously blown up quite early into the season, in what was arguably a series of moves designed to rebuild the roster for the long-term.

Posters on both sides of the tank debate wanted Gay gone (or at least one of Gay/DeRozan), which MU ultimately agreed with. I would argue that both the trade for Gay and the trading away of Gay, altered the team's core (so it certainly wasn't maintained).

To say that optimism won out and that this team proved all the pro-tankers wrong, is ignorant. MU made a significant trade and the results were beyond anybody's wildest dreams (coupled with an historically weak/injured EC), which all Raptors fans are ecstatic about!

I'm still intrigued by what the upcoming offseason holds. First, I'm not convinced that this roster's ceiling is anything more than a 2nd round knockout. Second, we have no idea what MU's end-game is, although I highly doubt he will rest on his unexpected laurels and keep the entire team together (if Lowry walks, all bets are off).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    The team that was successful this season, is NOT the team that caused the wave of pro-tank sentiment. That team had Bargnani and Gay, which was obviously blown up quite early into the season, in what was arguably a series of moves designed to rebuild the roster for the long-term.

Posters on both sides of the tank debate wanted Gay gone (or at least one of Gay/DeRozan), which MU ultimately agreed with.

To say that optimism won out and that this team proved all the pro-tankers wrong, is ignorant. MU made a significant trade and the results were beyond anybody's wildest dreams (coupled with an historically weak/injured EC), which all Raptors fans are ecstatic about!

I'm still intrigued by what the upcoming offseason holds. First, I'm not convinced that this roster's ceiling is anything more than a 2nd round knockout. Second, we have no idea what MU's end-game is, although I highly doubt he will rest on his unexpected laurels and keep the entire team together (if Lowry walks, all bets are off).
                    He actually made these posts before we ever traded for Rudy, I think. Thats how old this is...

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                      He actually made these posts before we ever traded for Rudy, I think. Thats how old this is...
                      Back when Bargnani, Calderon, Davis and Kleiza were part of the core, Valanciunas & Ross were rookies, and Lowry was newly acquired?

How can anybody possibly make a statement that having faith in the team's core back then equates to being right about the success of this current team? Aside from DeRozan & Amir, those are entirely different teams! lol

Different roster, different core, different GM, different ownership/senior management, different assistant coaches, hell we even had a different mascot for half the bloody season! haha The quest for one-upsmanship is never-ending for some, I suppose.

Comment

Congratulations. You're a blind-optimism, super fan who stayed optimistic long enough for your vision to become reality - with new ownership, front office, coaching staff, scouts, and supporting cast.

Bold: lets see if they win a playoff series before anointing that honour. Oh, and isn't that incredibly sad that 19 years and this is the best? Good grief. This team would not even be in playoffs if it was in the West - yay! Go Raps!

You keep cheering your core to win a playoff series. I'll keep hoping and cheering what needs to be done to make this team a legitimate championship contender comes true.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          ...I'll keep hoping and cheering what needs to be done to make this team a legitimate championship contender comes true.
                          "And in the meantime enjoy fully any basketball related happiness the team can bring me."

You forgot that part Matt

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            "And in the meantime enjoy fully any basketball related happiness the team can bring me."

You forgot that part Matt
                            You're right.

I retired the tank to the beach and have enjoyed some winning basketball.

Hopefully it doesn't take another 5 years to get excited about something as a Raptor fan.

Comment

A bit off topic but want to throw this out there....has anyone followed the rumblings about the possibility that Leiweke is looking to leave MLSE?

I first heard this in apost mortem of an appearance on the Bob McCown 590 show where he apparently said his work was about done after the hiring of Shanahan for the Leafs...and the Raptors & TFC in good hands and on their way.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                                A bit off topic but want to throw this out there....has anyone followed the rumblings about the possibility that Leiweke is looking to leave MLSE?

I first heard this in apost mortem of an appearance on the Bob McCown 590 show where he apparently said his work was about done after the hiring of Shanahan for the Leafs...and the Raptors & TFC in good hands and on their way.
                                Interesting. I haven't heard this. But seems to make sense. Now that all the key managerial positions have been filled (for all franchises), what is there left for Lieweke to do?

Comment

Working...
                                X