Hang on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Bargnani is not going to be an easy player to trade. It can only be done at a loss to the team trading him away it doesn't seem like BC is willing to take that much of a loss on him.
    I'm not sure I agree.

He may not be easy to trade but I can't see this loss spoke of. The Raptors seem to play just as good if not better without him. There is a definite double standard in Toronto with regards to accountability.

The problem the Raptors have is Bargnani is 'our guy'. We might be able to take on a player who is not 'the guy' on another team but who is a better fit than what Bargnani brings to Toronto.

Sadly none of us knows what Bargnani's value is. You very well may be right though. If that is the case, the message from around the league should be loud and clear: bench him.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure I agree.

He may not be easy to trade but I can't see this loss spoke of. The Raptors seem to play just as good if not better without him. There is a definite double standard in Toronto with regards to accountability.

The problem the Raptors have is Bargnani is 'our guy'. We might be able to take on a player who is not 'the guy' on another team but who is a better fit than what Bargnani brings to Toronto.

Sadly none of us knows what Bargnani's value is. You very well may be right though. If that is the case, the message from around the league should be loud and clear: bench him.
      If we could get a pick for him I would think it would be at best somewhere in the mid to late first round of this years draft. In last years I would think somewhere from 20th onwards.

Comment

b2kelly wrote: View Post
        I am not going to lie, at the start of this season I really did expect to contend.. I have no reason why I felt this way I just did. It really is a blow to my gut when we suck this badly. It takes one of the few things that I enjoy in this world and crushes it and when the raptors lose it ruins my overall attitude for that particular day.
        I used to be this way, but I've become numb to the losses lately. Seriously, the only way to help yourself is to temper expectations.

Nowadays, I can't help but chuckle in amazement with each loss. No matter what this team does, they consistently find a new way to lose. And there's very little reason to think this trend will change anytime soon.

Comment

I think it's easy to trade Bargnani and that's mainly because of his contract. The delay(if they're looking to trade him) is 'cause they haven't found the right deal IMO. He may not be a traditional PF who plays low and grabs rebounds but there are a lot of pluses to his game as well. Especially offensively. My point is, he is an attractive player to GM's around the league IMO.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I think it's is a tough call in terms of what you do with Bargnani. Granted a GM's valuation of a player probably doesn't get affected much by single game performances, but you have to think when a guy has his lackey's pouring over the stats and the player in question just turned in a 2 for 19 game, someone says "So umm.. do we really want this guy?"

I think the right move is to bench him, not only due to his detrimental play but also from a coaching perspective. Casey's got a group of new guys who are learning the new culture, and Casey's not backing up his words. Benching Bargnani would go a long way in terms of getting other players to buy in.

From a franchise perspective, you kinda hope that Bargnani will embrace the bench role and play better. Of course the scary thing is if he's relegated to bench and starts playing well. Now you'll have a whole bunch of RR forum members going "Oh maybe that's all he needed.. let's keep him."
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

BryCo better be cooking up a nice Christmas gift for us all..
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                BryCo better be cooking up a nice Christmas gift for us all..
                He better be

Comment

I am not going to lie, at the start of this season I really did expect to contend.. I have no reason why I felt this way I just did. It really is a blow to my gut when we suck this badly. It takes one of the few things that I enjoy in this world and crushes it and when the raptors lose it ruins my overall attitude for that particular day.
                  I know how you feel man. I used to be this way as well. I would let the Raptors play affect my mood. If they won great, awesome, I was on cloud 9. When they lost I would get pissed, angry, grumpy, whatever. You can't let it affect you like that man. Especially since more often than not the raps are losing. I learned to just chill out and enjoy the game I love to watch. I don't get too high or too low. Don't get me wrong it's still frustrating to watch them lose, I just don't let them winning/losing affect my moods any more. It is what it is my dude. Try to look at the positives and take it from there.

Cheers

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                    I know how you feel man. I used to be this way as well. I would let the Raptors play affect my mood. If they won great, awesome, I was on cloud 9. When they lost I would get pissed, angry, grumpy, whatever. You can't let it affect you like that man. Especially since more often than not the raps are losing. I learned to just chill out and enjoy the game I love to watch. I don't get too high or too low. Don't get me wrong it's still frustrating to watch them lose, I just don't let them winning/losing affect my moods any more. It is what it is my dude. Try to look at the positives and take it from there.

Cheers
                    I go down with the same syndrome homie. My parents are like "why are you so pissed and depressed?". I usually don't talk much after a tough loss. I take it too personally, which i probably shouldn't

Comment

It's so depressing reading the message board lately, how down everybody is. The Raptors record might be 3-11 (4-10 if you include the admitted missed call against Detroit), but I think this team is much better than their record shows.

Without even getting into any excuses/explanations, the Raptors could very easily have a solid, winning record right now. Excluding their 3 worst losses (OKC, BOS, PHI), their scoring margin at the end of the 4th quarter in those other 8 losses were:

even (OT loss)
                      even (OT loss)

That is a total of -24 points over 8 games, which is an average of a 3 point loss. 5 games were between even and -2 at the end of the 4th quarter! If even half those 5 games went our way, we'd be looking at a .500 team.

Yes, I know a loss is still a loss. However, when you consider how competitive the Raptors have been in all these games (they were even leading Philly in the 4th quarter of the game they wound up losing by 10), suddenly the excuses/explanations shed light on the fact that this team could easily be .500 or better.

- terrible officiating (cost us at least 1 games for sure)
                      - injuries (Lowry, Fields, Bargnani's sickness)
                      - horrible FT shooting (cost us a couple games)
                      - some highly questionable coaching decisions (cost us a couple games)

I'm not drinking any koolaid or trying to sugar coat a nightmare season. I'm usually as pessimistic and cynical as anybody but, after reading some of these threads, I find it so bizarre that I'm actually one of the few remaining optimists.

This team needs a serious upgrade in talent level, before actually being a legitimate contending team (even just to contend getting beyond 1st round of playoffs). They have some nice pieces, but this team needs a #1 guy. They are competitive and with a few more lucky bounces, they would be (or still could be) right in the thick of the Eastern playoff race.

That's all I expected going into this season, along with development of the younger players. I am quite happy at the progress made by DeRozan, Davis, Valanciunas and Ross. Fields is still a complete unknown, due to his injury. Bargnani (inefficiency), Amir (just seems off and too many shots outside 10') and Lowry (injury prone and hero-ball) have all disappointed me a little thus far, but could still turn it around.

I get the frustration, but I think too many people are confusing the hope they had with the expectations they had for this season. I think the Raptors are falling well short of the collective hope we had, but I think they are well within the expectations we had, even with the 3-11 record (in what we all knew would be the tough part of their schedule, especially with a rookie starting and so many new players).

Comment

We have been watching some good basketball.

We are not your typical 3-10 team, by no means should the pieces be scattered to the ends of the earth. (maybe cull a couple of the older players)

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          It's so depressing reading the message board lately, how down everybody is. The Raptors record might be 3-11 (4-10 if you include the admitted missed call against Detroit), but I think this team is much better than their record shows.

Without even getting into any excuses/explanations, the Raptors could very easily have a solid, winning record right now. Excluding their 3 worst losses (OKC, BOS, PHI), their scoring margin at the end of the 4th quarter in those other 8 losses were:

even (OT loss)
                          even (OT loss)

That is a total of -24 points over 8 games, which is an average of a 3 point loss. 5 games were between even and -2 at the end of the 4th quarter! If even half those 5 games went our way, we'd be looking at a .500 team.

Yes, I know a loss is still a loss. However, when you consider how competitive the Raptors have been in all these games (they were even leading Philly in the 4th quarter of the game they wound up losing by 10), suddenly the excuses/explanations shed light on the fact that this team could easily be .500 or better.

- terrible officiating (cost us at least 1 games for sure)
                          - injuries (Lowry, Fields, Bargnani's sickness)
                          - horrible FT shooting (cost us a couple games)
                          - some highly questionable coaching decisions (cost us a couple games)

I'm not drinking any koolaid or trying to sugar coat a nightmare season. I'm usually as pessimistic and cynical as anybody but, after reading some of these threads, I find it so bizarre that I'm actually one of the few remaining optimists.

This team needs a serious upgrade in talent level, before actually being a legitimate contending team (even just to contend getting beyond 1st round of playoffs). They have some nice pieces, but this team needs a #1 guy. They are competitive and with a few more lucky bounces, they would be (or still could be) right in the thick of the Eastern playoff race.

That's all I expected going into this season, along with development of the younger players. I am quite happy at the progress made by DeRozan, Davis, Valanciunas and Ross. Fields is still a complete unknown, due to his injury. Bargnani (inefficiency), Amir (just seems off and too many shots outside 10') and Lowry (injury prone and hero-ball) have all disappointed me a little thus far, but could still turn it around.

I get the frustration, but I think too many people are confusing the hope they had with the expectations they had for this season. I think the Raptors are falling well short of the collective hope we had, but I think they are well within the expectations we had, even with the 3-11 record (in what we all knew would be the tough part of their schedule, especially with a rookie starting and so many new players).

Casey is not a good offensive coach. Average might be best. I think he has some good sets but Raps have had few players able to consistently make jumpers off the sets (Raps are shooting 41.9% for the year - good for 27th). Also they don't attack enough outside of DeRozan who must have done some dirty deeds with a ref or two daughters. But I digress, not the point of the post....

Defense is his calling card. Defense was suppose to be the movement of the franchise going forward. Defense was suppose to be the foundation of the infamous culture change. Lets look at defense:

opponent's FG %: 25th
                          opponent's rebounding: 25th
                          opponent's PPG: 24th
                          defensive rating: 22nd

Now I am not after Casey here. My attempt is to highlight the fact the Raptors are now in reverse from the progress made last season. Personally, I think it comes from the top and the directive to focus more on improving Casey's weaknesses versus solidifying his strengths with a new roster. Indiana game is a great example: 5 points scored in the 4th quarter and they still grinded out a win.

There is no progress here only regression. These stats show me a bad team. I don't care how close the games have been - they have still lost. Maybe if they were a great defensive team we could take consolation but the current Raptors are far from good - at anything!

There is a very strong possibility that considering the Raptors are playing so close to (and still losing to!) all types of teams (good, average, bad) the opponents are playing to the level of Toronto.

I do hate to be a buzz-kill but changes are needed. My opinion has probably lost much credibility (pffft, if there ever was any!) considering the change in opinion and attitude but those defensive stats don't lie nor does the standings nor does 412 games of #tradeBargnani.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Casey is not a good offensive coach. Average might be best. I think he has some good sets but Raps have had few players able to consistently make jumpers off the sets (Raps are shooting 41.9% for the year - good for 27th). Also they don't attack enough outside of DeRozan who must have done some dirty deeds with a ref or two daughters. But I digress, not the point of the post....

Defense is his calling card. Defense was suppose to be the movement of the franchise going forward. Defense was suppose to be the foundation of the infamous culture change. Lets look at defense:

opponent's FG %: 25th
                            opponent's rebounding: 25th
                            opponent's PPG: 24th
                            defensive rating: 22nd

Now I am not after Casey here. My attempt is to highlight the fact the Raptors are now in reverse from the progress made last season. Personally, I think it comes from the top and the directive to focus more on improving Casey's weaknesses versus solidifying his strengths with a new roster. Indiana game is a great example: 5 points scored in the 4th quarter and they still grinded out a win.

There is no progress here only regression. These stats show me a bad team. I don't care how close the games have been - they have still lost. Maybe if they were a great defensive team we could take consolation but the current Raptors are far from good - at anything!

There is a very strong possibility that considering the Raptors are playing so close to (and still losing to!) all types of teams (good, average, bad) the opponents are playing to the level of Toronto.

I do hate to be a buzz-kill but changes are needed. My opinion has probably lost much credibility (pffft, if there ever was any!) considering the change in opinion and attitude but those defensive stats don't lie nor does the standings nor does 412 games of #tradeBargnani.
                            Oh no worries, I'm not denying that changes/improvements are needed. I just don't think the Raptors are in the 'sky is falling' predicament that most fans on here seem to be in, based on reading through so many negative/pessimistic threads. The only point I was trying to make was that even in spite of all the problems this team has had (including limited talent, regressed Bargnani & Casey, injuries to 2/3 of the starting lineup), they still are only a couple made free throws and/or an extra foul call going DeRozan's way, away from being a .500 team and in the playoff hunt. And that's really all most of us did expect of them this season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              Oh no worries, I'm not denying that changes/improvements are needed. I just don't think the Raptors are in the 'sky is falling' predicament that most fans on here seem to be in, based on reading through so many negative/pessimistic threads. The only point I was trying to make was that even in spite of all the problems this team has had (including limited talent, regressed Bargnani & Casey, injuries to 2/3 of the starting lineup), they still are only a couple made free throws and/or an extra foul call going DeRozan's way, away from being a .500 team and in the playoff hunt. And that's really all most of us did expect of them this season.
                              I think the situation is that serious. There clearly is no direction of the team - are we top defensive squad? running and gunning? grinders? finesse ballerinas? what does preference for Bargnani do to moral of the rest of squad? is Casey's credibility in tact (off camera, behind closed doors)?

I don't buy the despite all these problems we'd still be in the hunt argument. After a game, sure. A couple of games, alright. We are talking 7 games. As I said in previous post, it is probably time to acknowledge good/average teams play to Toronto's level considering the outcomes against such a wide diversity of W/L records of teams.

No matter what reasons/excuses are made, at the end of the day the Raptors are one of the worst defensive teams in the league with a 3-11 record. That is serious cause for concern given the strides made last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X