Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday, November 25: San Antonio vs. Toronto

ESPN Preview:

Tony Parker has put in some extra shooting practice lately, and the San Antonio Spurs are reaping the benefits.

The All-Star point guard will try to continue his recent scoring surge on Sunday when the NBA's best road team takes on the struggling Toronto Raptors.

Slowing Parker has become a daunting task for the Raptors (3-10) after he totaled 59 points and a 67.5 shooting percentage in San Antonio's two wins to open a six-game road swing.

Parker finished with a season-high 33 points and 10 assists on Friday night to help the Spurs (10-3) rally from a 17-point deficit to beat Indiana 104-97.

He ended up making 15 of 23 from the field after going 12 of 17 in a 26-point effort at Boston on Wednesday. Parker had averaged just 11.1 points on 37.9 percent shooting over his previous seven games.

"(Coach Gregg Popovich) wanted me to be more aggressive, take more shots, and so I've been working with Chip (assistant coach Engelland), and the last two games, it's been working well for me," he said.

Parker also looks to continue his success against Toronto, averaging 17.1 points in 19 career games. He put together a 34-point, 14-assist performance in the last meeting on Feb. 15, 2012, a 113-106 Spurs victory.

Tim Duncan is also playing some of his best ball of season, averaging 20.7 points and 15.3 rebounds over the last three games. He had 22 points and 17 boards on Friday for his third straight double-double.

The Spurs improved to 6-1 on the road as they outscored the Pacers 48-36 in the paint and are 9-1 when scoring at least 38 in such fashion. San Antonio ranks near the top of the Western Conference in that category with 43.8 per game.

The Spurs, though, are expected to be without injured starting forward Kawhi Leonard for the remainder of the trip. He has missed the last four games with tendinitis in his right knee, and Stephen Jackson is also out with a fractured pinkie on his right hand.

After dropping its third straight on the road in a 91-90 loss to Detroit, Toronto failed to reach 100 points for the sixth straight game on Friday.

"It's really hard to look at the positive side of this situation," said forward Andrea Bargnani, who had a season-high 34 points to go with five rebounds and four assists.

The former first overall pick is averaging 27.0 points on 55.2 percent shooting over the last three games.

"My shot is falling," he said. "I don't panic. Sometimes you score, sometimes you don't. You just have to be aggressive."

In his third game back from an ankle injury that cost him six games, point guard Kyle Lowry finished with 19 points, giving him 40 in his last two games.

DeMar DeRozan, though, had his worst performance of the season with five points on 2 of 9 shooting. The fourth-year guard will try to bounce back versus the Spurs, against whom he's averaging 27.3 points in the last three meetings.

"We have find a way to get DeMar involved when they're paying special attention to him," coach Dwane Casey said.

Starting center Jonas Valanciunas is expected to play after injuring his left leg in the third quarter against the Pistons.

San Antonio has won three straight over the Raptors after sweeping the series last season.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=400277911

must win imo. we need to beat a good team if we have any chance of salvaging this season

Comment

With those stats that Matt52 gave, I see no way the Raptors winning this game. I will be impressed and a bit more hopeful for the season if they do somehow grind it out. Essentially if you can get Bargs to score like he was last game, and then mix in a good game from Derozan and a near triple double from Lowry, perhaps it's doable. Though the biggest obstacle will be containing Parker on offense and from the past few close games (especially the fourth quarters) even if Parker is subdued for 3 quarters he will still be break down our defense in the fourth by getting right into the paint whenever he wants.

Comment

Can anyone tell us how Lowry does against Parker? This is a different Raptors team from last year. Any information on how Houston did against the Spurs?
        Welp, that sucked.

Comment

we've beaten a first seeded spurs team before on the road

(THANK YOU UKIC!)
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Lowry and Parker have had good battles when he was in Houston. Lowry admitted to having a relationship with Tony Parker.

Derozan has to attack the rim this game, not much rim presence.

Back-court needs to get back to the level it was when the season started.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

As unlikely as it sounds for us to do, one of the keys to beating the Spurs is getting out to a big lead early on since Pop rests his starters if he sees the game is out of reach quite early on.

Comment

DeMar gave Timmy D the Anderson Silva kick to the neck LOL, and dunk follow up.
                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

That spin move by parker might have been more impressive if it wasn't against 2 of the worst defenders in the league.
                  "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                    That was a thing of beauty

Comment

I'm very happy that DeMar is starting to prove me wrong.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                        If only it was against Garnett and not Duncan.

Comment

Harrison who? I'm lovin' me some TRoss!

Comment

Am I the only one who really likes Dominic McGuire? Damn, I mean, he has great defensive instincts. Rarely ever doing anything wrong defensively, it's just he sucks offensively.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                              Harrison who? I'm lovin' me some TRoss!

Damn.....coin flip.
                              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                              X