• Show
Clear All

enlightenment wrote: View Post
    I think there are Elite players who are not hall of famers:
    Rudy Gay is an elite player not likely to be a hall of famer,
    Dwight Howard may or may not be a HOF
    Carmelo Anthony may or may not be a HOF
    Vince Carter may or may not be a HOF

But Id say they are all premier players, and JV has the potential to be one of the best C's in the league. Infact I would love to see your list of C's who are better than JV CURRENTLY, and then we can estimate who he will beat out in the future!
    What is your definition of an elite player? It's all semantics. When I think of elite, I think of a guy that can carry you to a championship. In my opinion Rudy Gay is not elite. Howard and Anthony are elite. Carter was elite (when he played for Toronto earlier in his career).

As for current centers that are better than JV?

I have the following:

Howard
    Bynum
    Noah
    M. Gasol
    Horford
    Bosh
    Garnett
    Chandler
    Gortat
    Jefferson
    Bogut
    Nene
    Asik
    Hibbert
    Ibaka

I think JV can be a good as a lot of these guys, but from this list the only 'elite' guy in my opinion is Howard. In today's NBA you don't need a dominant center to win a championship. Miami/OKC/Boston can get away without a stud center because they have other talented players on their teams.

Comment

JV is a keeper.. i think he has franchise type talent.. after seeing him in person today i think skys the limit...even when hes not in the game... hes in the game. he done very well today.. he played all his minutes against Timmy D & held his own & then some..

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        What is your definition of an elite player? It's all semantics. When I think of elite, I think of a guy that can carry you to a championship. In my opinion Rudy Gay is not elite. Howard and Anthony are elite. Carter was elite (when he played for Toronto earlier in his career).

I have the following:

Howard
        Bynum
        Noah
        M. Gasol
        Horford
        Bosh
        Garnett
        Chandler
        Gortat
        Jefferson
        Bogut
        Nene
        Asik
        Hibbert
        Ibaka

I think JV can be a good as a lot of these guys, but from this list the only 'elite' guy in my opinion is Howard. In today's NBA you don't need a dominant center to win a championship. Miami/OKC/Boston can get away without a stud center because they have other talented players on their teams.
        But if you do, you have a really, really good chance at winning a championship.
        Anyways, after today's game, I think JV does have that ability to become a HOF'er centre. He's shown a high, really high understanding of the game, he has the ability to improve in just a minute, making on-the-fly adjustments to whoever the hell he's up against. He's shown amazingly diverse offensive weapons, even if they are just flashes. And he's shown that he can be a defensive anchor. Really, all he needs to do is build on these things, and I think, because of his age and exp., he'll be able to become a star before expected.

Comment

20 year old Robinson wasn't nearly as good as the 24 year old rookie Robinson.

To illustrate my point here is 21 year old Robinson destroyed by 22 year old Sabonis (some of the highlights versus Robinson):

All I'm saying is, big men take time to develop. I'm sure Jonas has quite some time to catch up
          Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I have the following:

Asik

Really? Is he really better if both of them would play same amount of time? Asik's shooting percentage: 0.444 FG's and 0.621 FT's...
            (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
              Really? Is he really better if both of them would play same amount of time? Asik's shooting percentage: 0.444 FG's and 0.621 FT's...
              Asik is averaging a double/double - which in my opinion makes him currently better than JV.

Edit: If they were playing the same number of minutes, you have a point. But I still think Asik is better defensively. This is just my opinion, and I do hope JV ends up a better player, but after 14 games, I think Asik is better.
              Last edited by planetmars; Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Asik is averaging a double/double - which in my opinion makes him currently better than JV.

Edit: If they were playing the same number of minutes, you have a point. But I still think Asik is better defensively. This is just my opinion, and I do hope JV ends up a better player, but after 14 games, I think Asik is better.
                Of course, Asik is a player in his prime - 26 years old. He probably won't get any better than this while Jonas should surely surpass him in the future.

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                  Of course, Asik is a player in his prime - 26 years old. He probably won't get any better than this while Jonas should surely surpass him in the future.
                  Yup.. I was just responding to a post in which they were asking for all the current NBA centers that are currently better than JV. I included Asik in that list.

Comment

I have the following:

Howard
                    Bynum
                    Noah
                    M. Gasol
                    Horford
                    Bosh
                    Garnett
                    Chandler
                    Gortat
                    Jefferson
                    Bogut
                    Nene
                    Asik
                    Hibbert
                    Ibaka

Good list!
                    So basically JV currently as a rookie is a top 15 big man.

My Expectations JV passes the following in talent:
                    Ibaka
                    Hibbert
                    Asik
                    Gortat
                    Chandler
                    Noah
                    Bynum

JV has the potential to be better than:
                    Nene
                    Bogut
                    M. Gasol

And, my hopes are JV passes:
                    Dwight,
                    Jefferson,
                    Bosh,
                    Horford,
                    Garnett,
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
                      His ceiling is harder to predict, maybe Chandler on defense, on offense I see some Duncan (runs the floor, shoots similary), Noahs hustle with great pick and roll ability
                      Pau Gasol with Kevin Garnett like attitude. I think that's JV's ceiling.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                        Pau Gasol with Kevin Garnett like attitude. I think that's JV's ceiling.
                        now THATS elite.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

By the time JV is Robinson's age when he came into the league. He'll be putting up 20 and 10 easy! throw in a couple of blocks. Him, Derozan and Eddy D is who we should be building around. Fuck Chucknani. Btw Thanks for the shout out Craiger!

Comment

As of now, I don't really get the Gasol comparison, I mean JV is not a finesse player like Pau. I'd say he's more of a really rich man's Marcin Gortat with a lot of attitude.

Comment

I see tyson chandler written all over him, perhaps with a little jumper.
                              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

I think it's been overlooked how Casey has brought Jonas along this first bit of his NBA career. He has shown confidence in JV and JV has responded.

Comment

Working...
                                X