Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Is Dwane Casey still the right coach for the Toronto Raptors?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Pele wrote: View Post
    This is a big part of the problem, other than poor subs late in the game.

    Casey talked tough last year, and this summer. Players who don't perform will be benched, period, for players who do what's asked of them.

    Why won't Casey sit Bargs? Why does Bargs, or Lowry, have the ball in their hands when the game is on the line, after both repeatedly botching it in previous games. Bargs, especially, is about as non-clutch as has ever been.

    I could go on, but my question is, is BC looking over his shoulder? Is Brian quietly influencing Dwayne?

    Personally, I smell that cheap BC cologne over this stinking mess of a regular season. Toronto should tie him and Bargs to a mule and kick their butts out of our city.
    You know, I have to agree. Not on the mule, kicking, or cologne but the main idea.

    Casey came in last year and did it his way. After the season, BC said, "Great. Now lets try some of my ideas and implement some of my philosophies with what you are doing." Unfortunately, you can't blend both styles and expect good results. BC should take a step back and let Casey do what he did last year.... oh yeah, and #tradeBargnani while #freeRaptorfans
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A lot of Casey comments reek of being told to do something by higher ups. I refuse to believe a guy like Casey seriously wants to keep starting a guy like Bargs who rarely plays like he gives a shit.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    A lot of Casey comments reek of being told to do something by higher ups. I refuse to believe a guy like Casey seriously wants to keep starting a guy like Bargs who rarely plays like he gives a shit.
    +1
    It doesn't seem like Casey
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we fire BC, it equals Bargs getting his a** kicked back to hell. FIRE BC!!!!

    But who'd replace BC, who are the top 5 candidates for the job. 'Cause BC is on the hotseat and I wanna know.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    #Matt52forGM
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    #Matt52forGM
    Well, duh, actually I bet they'll ask him. (that's not happening, unfortunately)
    But in all seriousness, yup, he sure fits everything we need in a GM. (not being sarcastic here)

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    If we fire BC, it equals Bargs getting his a** kicked back to hell. FIRE BC!!!!

    But who'd replace BC, who are the top 5 candidates for the job. 'Cause BC is on the hotseat and I wanna know.
    My money would be on Stefanski who was probably hired to replace Bryan so that he can concentrate on just being the team's president. If Bryan continues to remain as president then I have no hope for this franchise.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think Casey is the right coach. He needs the right make up of players.

    I'm not an ED fan but there is no question he should have been given some burn today. Talk about guys earning minutes or riding the 'effective' hand.
    No doubt Ed should have finished this game!!.. he was a beast.. he had 15pts 14rbs comming off the bench & before the fourth quarter even started... yet he left El Crapo in instead the rest of the game..

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    #Matt52forGM
    Wouldn't that be a dream job.

    But unfortunately being an opinionated poster at RR doesn't quite give me the credentials needed.

    *EDIT* Actually thinking a little more about this there is a great analogy to the stock market here. People who follow the stock market or participate in 'fantasy' trading accounts often say, "Yeah, I called that." or "Yeah, I saw that coming." or "Yeah, I knew that would happen." Problem is they didn't make a bloody cent off it. As soon as they put some real coin on their opinions, suddenly things change. Suddenly they don't have all the answers and suddenly emotion comes in to the equation which really creates havoc in the mind, body, and soul. Same thing as being a GM. We all have the answers because none of us have the authority. As soon as you get the authority, the game changes. Then you also have to deal with other teams who aren't as open to your opinions as other fans of the team are.

    I think without a doubt the 2 hardest professions in the world: money manager/trader and professional sport GM.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Nov 25th, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Wouldn't that be a dream job.

    But unfortunately being an opinionated poster at RR doesn't quite give me the credentials needed.

    *EDIT* Actually thinking a little more about this there is a great analogy to the stock market here. People who follow the stock market or participate in 'fantasy' trading accounts often say, "Yeah, I called that." or "Yeah, I saw that coming." or "Yeah, I knew that would happen." Problem is they didn't make a bloody cent off it. As soon as they put some real coin on their opinions, suddenly things change. Suddenly they don't have all the answers and suddenly emotion comes in to the equation which really creates havoc in the mind, body, and soul. Same thing as being a GM. We all have the answers because none of us have the authority. As soon as you get the authority, the game changes. Then you also have to deal with other teams who aren't as open to your opinions as other fans of the team are.

    I think without a doubt the 2 hardest professions in the world: money manager/trader and professional sport GM.
    Thats a very true thing to say. It sort of makes me want to take it easier on BC.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would wait till all-star break before we make a decision.

    Reasons to wait till all-star break:

    - If the Raptors are out of range to make the playoffs from that point, time to make a change and bring in a bigger name coach. Especially this will likely be the time moves are made whether it's throwing away contracts, or acquiring/sending players to contenders.

    - Health. Once guys are in place, we can finally get a good look to see what this team can really do, especially in a bigger number of games, and a more favorable schedule.

    - Guys might fall, or rise. Coach Casey may demote a player (hopefully Bargnani), or give out more minutes (Hopefully Ross, Acy, Davis.)

    Just my opinion.

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like Casey as a coach but I think the defensive intensity for the Raptors has fallen since he's tried to increase the pace.

    And I ask why? The Raptors don't get out and run and the secondary break usually results in a no call for Derozan or a wild shot with the other team going the other way.

    Casey needs to go back to last years system. Slow the pace down, focus on a half court game. Our offense will struggle at times but the defense needs to be the backbone and this year it hasn't been there.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What I liked about Casey when he arrived was that he seemed like a coach who wasn't afraid to discipline his players for lack of effort/performance. He seems to be giving his stars burn during crunch time even if they're not playing well. It makes me wonder if BC has his hand in any of this.

    edit: upon reading previous posts, It appears I'm not the only one who thinks the same thing or "smells the BC cologne" on our team stink. There's a reason we never keep the hot hand in the game, no matter who the coach.
    Last edited by koncept; Sun Nov 25th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Ed Stafanski needs to take over. I guarantee you, the first thing he'll do is trade Il Chucker and bring in a Veteran defensive minded PF. A think a simple trade like that could do wonders for this team

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,021
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Dc is definitely the right coach. Last year was all defence and this year they are trying to implement the offense as well. No team can win doing only one. I would be very let down if bc fired dc.

    Don't know if you guys read tsn comments or are some of those people but there are people over there already talking about how a defense approach has failed and we need an entirely offensive coach. Yikes.

    Crazy bad luck we have had this year in close games but they will get it together.
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Mon Nov 26th, 2012 at 01:35 AM.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Rookie Ion66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oshawa
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think that there are any "simple trades" in pro sports. If there were, we'd have evenly balanced teams across the league. We've got enough new guys that I don't mind waiting till the mid-season to make a real judgement. Add in that we've got our #1 SF out with surgery for a gimpy hand, that in all likelihood was giving him problems before he came to us. We had Kleiza gone for a chunk of the current season with family issues, our hard working ex-D-league guy out with a bad foot and a guy brought in for situational defense, playing as the starting SF. I cant explain John Lucas's start to the season, after a promising pre-season. Ed has off games and some good ones...AB has off games and some less off games and a good one. This is not a simple rotation to set at this point. Good, healthy talent makes a coach look good. Decent, wounded talent, not so much. I've questioned lots of Casey's choices in a few games, but usually once the game is done. My only real complaint with Casey comes from his "This is a man's league" attitude. Normally I applaud that philosophy, and appreciate that this isn't the "soft" Raps of a few years ago. Where it can fall down, is in his level of trust and useage of young/rookie/near rookie players.
    Let me see if Landry Fields can play better with working hands.Give the team the real time it takes to learn to play with (and I mean as much to play without thinking, because you know where the other player is going to go or pass etc.) and develop real chemistry with each other. That doesnt really happen till a core has been together a few years, but I'll take the 2/3 point of the season. I'm patient.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Rookie alexaussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    Don't know if you guys read tsn comments or are some of those peolple but there are people over there already talking about how a defense approach has failed and we need an entirely offensive coach. Yikes.
    Because that worked out so well with Triano...
    Biggest Raptors fan from the Land Down Under

    @alexhaggispinch

    Toronto Raptors
    Sydney Swans, Melbourne Storm
    Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars, LA Angels of Anaheim

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    718
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One thing I noticed from the game today ...

    They showed Kyle Lowry's favorite people to follow on Twitter

    I forgot the other 2, but the list had Obama ...... and

    #2 - Rudy Gay
    #1 - Landry Fields

    .... Fields is easy to see why OO
    .... Gay, on the other hand ... hmm

    I know these things are all carefully evaluated by the PR people. Maybe?
    ďI donít create controversies. Theyíre there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.Ē

    -- Charles Barkley

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think DC is the right coach for the Raptors right now. He's not an x's and o's coach that can help you win when you get deep into the playoffs, but on a bad team low on talent he can show players what they need to do to get better.

    I would have liked to see him ride ED a little longer, but at the end of the day when you're at the late stages of a close game it makes no sense to have players whom can't shoot, pass or create on the floor. That is why he goes with the two point guard line ups. You need players whom can shoot the ball, handle the rock and create for others. You put Ed in place of AB and you basically have two bigs clogging up the lane taking away driving opportunities from DD, and no one to swing the ball to in the perimeter. Your offense is dead at this point.

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I think DC is the right coach for the Raptors right now. He's not an x's and o's coach that can help you win when you get deep into the playoffs, but on a bad team low on talent he can show players what they need to do to get better.

    I would have liked to see him ride ED a little longer, but at the end of the day when you're at the late stages of a close game it makes no sense to have players whom can't shoot, pass or create on the floor. That is why he goes with the two point guard line ups. You need players whom can shoot the ball, handle the rock and create for others. You put Ed in place of AB and you basically have two bigs clogging up the lane taking away driving opportunities from DD, and no one to swing the ball to in the perimeter. Your offense is dead at this point.
    I agree in theory but that is where ball and player movement comes in to play to open up the lanes. As Pop said, the Raptors were killing them on the glass.

    Also Memphis has one of the best offence in the league and they start just 2 guys who can shoot the three. Raps could have easily went with KL, JC, DD, ED, JV down the stretch.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •