Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Dwane Casey still the right coach for the Toronto Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would wait till all-star break before we make a decision.

Reasons to wait till all-star break:

- If the Raptors are out of range to make the playoffs from that point, time to make a change and bring in a bigger name coach. Especially this will likely be the time moves are made whether it's throwing away contracts, or acquiring/sending players to contenders.

- Health. Once guys are in place, we can finally get a good look to see what this team can really do, especially in a bigger number of games, and a more favorable schedule.

- Guys might fall, or rise. Coach Casey may demote a player (hopefully Bargnani), or give out more minutes (Hopefully Ross, Acy, Davis.)

Just my opinion.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I like Casey as a coach but I think the defensive intensity for the Raptors has fallen since he's tried to increase the pace.

And I ask why? The Raptors don't get out and run and the secondary break usually results in a no call for Derozan or a wild shot with the other team going the other way.

Casey needs to go back to last years system. Slow the pace down, focus on a half court game. Our offense will struggle at times but the defense needs to be the backbone and this year it hasn't been there.

Comment

What I liked about Casey when he arrived was that he seemed like a coach who wasn't afraid to discipline his players for lack of effort/performance. He seems to be giving his stars burn during crunch time even if they're not playing well. It makes me wonder if BC has his hand in any of this.

edit: upon reading previous posts, It appears I'm not the only one who thinks the same thing or "smells the BC cologne" on our team stink. There's a reason we never keep the hot hand in the game, no matter who the coach.
        Last edited by koncept; Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:23 PM.
        in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

I think Ed Stafanski needs to take over. I guarantee you, the first thing he'll do is trade Il Chucker and bring in a Veteran defensive minded PF. A think a simple trade like that could do wonders for this team

Comment

Dc is definitely the right coach. Last year was all defence and this year they are trying to implement the offense as well. No team can win doing only one. I would be very let down if bc fired dc.

Don't know if you guys read tsn comments or are some of those people but there are people over there already talking about how a defense approach has failed and we need an entirely offensive coach. Yikes.

Crazy bad luck we have had this year in close games but they will get it together.
            Last edited by Miekenstien; Mon Nov 26, 2012, 02:35 AM.

Comment

I don't think that there are any "simple trades" in pro sports. If there were, we'd have evenly balanced teams across the league. We've got enough new guys that I don't mind waiting till the mid-season to make a real judgement. Add in that we've got our #1 SF out with surgery for a gimpy hand, that in all likelihood was giving him problems before he came to us. We had Kleiza gone for a chunk of the current season with family issues, our hard working ex-D-league guy out with a bad foot and a guy brought in for situational defense, playing as the starting SF. I cant explain John Lucas's start to the season, after a promising pre-season. Ed has off games and some good ones...AB has off games and some less off games and a good one. This is not a simple rotation to set at this point. Good, healthy talent makes a coach look good. Decent, wounded talent, not so much. I've questioned lots of Casey's choices in a few games, but usually once the game is done. My only real complaint with Casey comes from his "This is a man's league" attitude. Normally I applaud that philosophy, and appreciate that this isn't the "soft" Raps of a few years ago. Where it can fall down, is in his level of trust and useage of young/rookie/near rookie players.
              Let me see if Landry Fields can play better with working hands.Give the team the real time it takes to learn to play with (and I mean as much to play without thinking, because you know where the other player is going to go or pass etc.) and develop real chemistry with each other. That doesnt really happen till a core has been together a few years, but I'll take the 2/3 point of the season. I'm patient.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                Don't know if you guys read tsn comments or are some of those peolple but there are people over there already talking about how a defense approach has failed and we need an entirely offensive coach. Yikes.
                Because that worked out so well with Triano...
                Biggest Raptors fan from the Land Down Under

@alexhaggispinch

Toronto Raptors
                Sydney Swans, Melbourne Storm
                Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars, LA Angels of Anaheim

Comment

One thing I noticed from the game today ...

They showed Kyle Lowry's favorite people to follow on Twitter

I forgot the other 2, but the list had Obama ...... and

#2 - Rudy Gay
                  #1 - Landry Fields

.... Fields is easy to see why OO
                  .... Gay, on the other hand ... hmm

I know these things are all carefully evaluated by the PR people. Maybe?
                  “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I think DC is the right coach for the Raptors right now. He's not an x's and o's coach that can help you win when you get deep into the playoffs, but on a bad team low on talent he can show players what they need to do to get better.

I would have liked to see him ride ED a little longer, but at the end of the day when you're at the late stages of a close game it makes no sense to have players whom can't shoot, pass or create on the floor. That is why he goes with the two point guard line ups. You need players whom can shoot the ball, handle the rock and create for others. You put Ed in place of AB and you basically have two bigs clogging up the lane taking away driving opportunities from DD, and no one to swing the ball to in the perimeter. Your offense is dead at this point.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      I think DC is the right coach for the Raptors right now. He's not an x's and o's coach that can help you win when you get deep into the playoffs, but on a bad team low on talent he can show players what they need to do to get better.

I would have liked to see him ride ED a little longer, but at the end of the day when you're at the late stages of a close game it makes no sense to have players whom can't shoot, pass or create on the floor. That is why he goes with the two point guard line ups. You need players whom can shoot the ball, handle the rock and create for others. You put Ed in place of AB and you basically have two bigs clogging up the lane taking away driving opportunities from DD, and no one to swing the ball to in the perimeter. Your offense is dead at this point.
                      I agree in theory but that is where ball and player movement comes in to play to open up the lanes. As Pop said, the Raptors were killing them on the glass.

Also Memphis has one of the best offence in the league and they start just 2 guys who can shoot the three. Raps could have easily went with KL, JC, DD, ED, JV down the stretch.

Comment

This organization can't keep trying to cut the weeds and then assume only the grass will start growing. Asking for a 4th coach in 7 years? All previous coaches released before their contracts expire?

I don't agree with alot of what Casey has been doing. Games like yesterday where Ed sits while Bargnani plays are ridiculous to watch. But he was brought in to play and hide Bargnani. Not to hold all players accountable, not the 'develop' young guys. To build a winning team with Andrea Bargnani as the center peice of the team. This should have been obvious since the day he was hired.

It is the Colangelo - Bargnani relationship that is the problem.

If Casey is released the next coach's objective (and therefore problem) will be the same.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                          This organization can't keep trying to cut the weeds and then assume only the grass will start growing. Asking for a 4th coach in 7 years? All previous coaches released before their contracts expire?

I don't agree with alot of what Casey has been doing. Games like yesterday where Ed sits while Bargnani plays are ridiculous to watch. But he was brought in to play and hide Bargnani. Not to hold all players accountable, not the 'develop' young guys. To build a winning team with Andrea Bargnani as the center peice of the team. This should have been obvious since the day he was hired.

It is the Colangelo - Bargnani relationship that is the problem.

If Casey is released the next coach's objective (and therefore problem) will be the same.
                          +1

If Bargnani is still rocking the Raps uniform come the trade deadline watch out for #fireColangelo

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I agree in theory but that is where ball and player movement comes in to play to open up the lanes. As Pop said, the Raptors were killing them on the glass.

Also Memphis has one of the best offence in the league and they start just 2 guys who can shoot the three. Raps could have easily went with KL, JC, DD, ED, JV down the stretch.
                            Memphis also has Z-Bo whom can shoot well inside the arc, Gasol whom can shoot well from the midrange (can't recall whom their SG is). You don't necessarily have to shoot the 3 to spread the floor.
                            And ball movement is predicated on having players to swing to. With JV & Ed on the floor you are not going to swing the ball to them as they are in the post right? And with only JC as the only ball handler on the floor (from your example) in crunch time Memphis would just have to trap him to get the ball out of his hands.

A lot of it also has to do with the personnel the Raps have. PF that doesn't play in the post and SG that can't stretch the floor.

Just think that all this harping about Casey's play calling is getting a bit out of hand is all. I'm pretty sure there is a method to what many are perceiving as his madness. I think the 2 pg line up with Andrea (for as long as we're stuck with him), DD and JV should be the line up we close all tight games with until someone else steps their game up.

Comment

Casey on Bargnani:

I’m going to ride with him come hell or high water
                              http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...rtime-victory/

Sigh....

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                Memphis also has Z-Bo whom can shoot well inside the arc, Gasol whom can shoot well from the midrange (can't recall whom their SG is). You don't necessarily have to shoot the 3 to spread the floor.
                                And ball movement is predicated on having players to swing to. With JV & Ed on the floor you are not going to swing the ball to them as they are in the post right? And with only JC as the only ball handler on the floor (from your example) in crunch time Memphis would just have to trap him to get the ball out of his hands.

A lot of it also has to do with the personnel the Raps have. PF that doesn't play in the post and SG that can't stretch the floor.

Just think that all this harping about Casey's play calling is getting a bit out of hand is all. I'm pretty sure there is a method to what many are perceiving as his madness. I think the 2 pg line up with Andrea (for as long as we're stuck with him), DD and JV should be the line up we close all tight games with until someone else steps their game up.
                                Lowry can handle the ball in addition to JC and both can shoot the 3.

JV routinely takes a reversal at the top of the key/just inside 3pt.

Ed has added elbow jumper, JV can shoot.

Tony Allen is their SG who can't shoot a lick outside 3inches (exaggeration, I know).

Memphis is 5th in ppg and 4th in offensive rating.... only 2 guys who can shoot the 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X