Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I really feel bad for Jonas, DeMar and Ed today

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Halifax Raps Fan wrote: View Post
    You folks do realize, I presume, that Bargs is just a basketball player, he is not a killer, a pervert, etc. yet the hate I read is amazing. If he plays well, he's lucky, if he sucks, you told us so. Face it, he is a seven footer who will get you 20 and 5. Play fairly good one onone defense and can create mismatches (on most nights). He is never going to be a great rebounder or help defender.

Some folks have to get over themselves. He is what he is; his salary is about right for his credentials and there are never guarantees that whoever you trade for (however passionate) will be any better. Is 15 points and seven rebounds better than 20 and five… You get the point).I sometimes get embarrassed when I read RR and see the hate spewed out. I canm only wonder what other bloggers must think...
    Bargnani doesn't fit the culture of this team anymore. He's a relic from the days of Colagelo's failed "Phoenix North" experiment. Casey will never be able to fully implement his defense-first philosophy with a player incapable of understanding team-defense.

This has nothing do to with his contract, and everything to do with his style of play. Bargnani does not fit the Toronto Raptors anymore. Why is this an "embarrassing" concept?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the fit is probably not there as he needs to set himself to score, he can`t do it in transistion. The embarrassment comes from the way we seemingly attck individuals as opposed to intellectually present ideas. I get the passion, but as in all things, I think we need to control it (for the record, I also watch these games and shout and curse...)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the fit is probably not there as he needs to set himself to score, he can`t do it in transistion. The embarrassment comes from the way we seemingly attck individuals as opposed to intellectually present ideas. I get the passion, but as in all things, I think we need to control it (for the record, I also watch these games and shout and curse...)
    I think the passionate/emotional responses are a direct result of 17 years of constant losing, with very little reason to believe things can improve based on the current roster. It's a helpless feeling...

This franchise has yet to crack the 50-win barrier. That's pretty pathetic when you think about it. And nowadays, 50 wins seem farther away than they did last year.

The Magic were in the finals in just their 5th year of existence. Our expansion laughing stock cousins, the Grizzlies, have reached 50 wins (and look to be a great position to do so again this year). Heck, even the NBA's doormat Clippers look to have a nice core group moving forward (plus the bright lights of Tinsel Town to attract impact players).

The Raptors, on the other hand, seem to be running really fast, but going nowhere. It's the familiar "treadmill of mediocrity" theme that has plagued this franchise for years. Not good enough to compete, and not poor enough to draft elite talent. Worst of all, the cycle has no end in sight....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Bargnani doesn't fit the culture of this team anymore. He's a relic from the days of Colagelo's failed "Phoenix North" experiment. Casey will never be able to fully implement his defense-first philosophy with a player incapable of understanding team-defense.

This has nothing do to with his contract, and everything to do with his style of play. Bargnani does not fit the Toronto Raptors anymore. Why is this an "embarrassing" concept?
    Unfortunately it is starting to appear like Colangelo is also a relic from that failed experiment.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, optimism is becoming harder and harder to find!

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I certainly get some optimism out of us not getting blown away by teams. Double overtime against the Spurs, who always do very well in the regular season. Of course losing again hurts (sucks). I just hope Casey et al get better at closing out games. He wasn't good at that last year and he still isn't.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

provide a reason to be optimistic. Instead of that righteous bullshit you're spewing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I think the passionate/emotional responses are a direct result of 17 years of constant losing, with very little reason to believe things can improve based on the current roster. It's a helpless feeling...
    I completely agree with Halifax that the reactions by some people should not be part of this forum. The constant fuck this and fuck that like language is fucking annoying. I also don't think the 17 years of losing are to blame for this or can be used as an excuse for this, not in the least because I don't think most who use that language are old enough to have experienced most of these years first hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    provide a reason to be optimistic. Instead of that righteous bullshit you're spewing.
    Kickboxing, need more time for kickboxing.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This team is not me, and I don't take their losses or wins personally. I find following an NBA team to be full of entertainment, from seeing how draft picks pan out, to watching our GM flop like a fish. I doesn't have to be a winner for me to be entertaining, sometimes there is more entertainment in meritocracy.

Take for instance the NY Knicks, it was so much fun to go to that forum when they sucked and see their suffering. To talk about Curry stealing burgers from the attendees in the courtside seats. I miss those days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I completely agree with Halifax that the reactions by some people should not be part of this forum. The constant fuck this and fuck that like language is fucking annoying. I also don't think the 17 years of losing are to blame for this or can be used as an excuse for this, not in the least because I don't think most who use that language are old enough to have experienced most of these years first hand.
    I was mainly speaking for myself (regarding the 17 years), but you're probably right.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe you should do something about that, too bad you're not a mod.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

You have a blocklist in your user settings. You can add inarticulate users who add nothing to the conversation if you want.

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default T-Dot

Well.....some of the posters on here actually live in TORONTO.....If you're living somewhere in Europe or in Halifax its really hard for you to understand the frustrations of fans living in Toronto (for multiple sports not only basketball). Simple as that!

Please dont tell us how YOU think we should react to constant losing.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bargnani gets on the right team, with a strong teamdefending big, and in a particular role, not as the first or second man, he could easily be a very helpful player. And by easily I mean easily.
    I could care less really. As long as he's not on this team
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    Well.....some of the posters on here actually live in TORONTO.....If you're living somewhere in Europe or in Halifax its really hard for you to understand the frustrations of fans living in Toronto (for multiple sports not only basketball). Simple as that!

A bit harsh but true nonetheless. I take losses personally, when the raps lose these close games a part of me feels weak for the rest of the day. By the time i'm done recovering its time for another close loss. It really sucks cause most teams in Toronto seem to be on the rise(cept the leafs of course) and we were supposed to be part of that.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.....some of the posters on here actually live in TORONTO.....If you're living somewhere in Europe or in Halifax its really hard for you to understand the frustrations of fans living in Toronto (for multiple sports not only basketball). Ignorant as that!

I fixed the above.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

excellent post.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kickboxing, need more time for kickboxing.
    Hahaha. Love the new go to. Hilarious

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    excellent post.
    I don't think its' an excellent post. Some of us live outside of toronto and realize it isn't the center of the universe.

Did the grey cup change your views on basketball losses now that a championship has been won in toronto?

These kinds of excluding comments can hijack a thread and make it about how much better our place is than other peoples. Clearly i wouldn't understand because i don't live in toronto right? That isn't an argument it is an excuse for peoples' whining.

If our team was playing 500 and one player blew a game and some people came on here to rant is it because they live in toronto or are passionate about the team.

I don't mind the passion and i do understand the anger of not winning or all these close games even though i don't live in toronto.

Thread Information