Raptors Broadcasters: An early season rant and plea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Broadcasters: An early season rant and plea

So, this may be OT (and I know we have one these every few months) but, after the Spurs game, I feel the need to rant about our broadcast team and assume others feel the same. On the off-chance that someone on the production team might read Raptors' sites to see what fans are saying, some pleas from this fan:

1. Stop complaining about the officials. If you want to highlight the odd bad call then that's good but every single time a Raptor drives to the basket and misses a shot it isn't because he's fouled. "No call!" "Derozan can't believe there's no call!". It's 10 times a game and it's annoying as hell. Please stop. It's also extending to other parts of the game like Calderon's obvious five-second call, which led to more bitching and whining from Devlin and Leo. Just stop, already. Enough.

2. Feel free to tell the truth. Enough with the MLSE talking points. I understand you get paid by MLSE but Greg Zaun (as much of an idiot as he is) also gets paid by Rogers and he isn't afraid to speak his mind and call out the organization. More of this please. I know you want to - I can hear it in your voices. Free the beast!

3. Why is Leo Rautins still on the air? He adds nothing to the broadcast and hasn't for years. His condescending demeanour is a huge turnoff for viewers. If you must employ him for some reason, leave him in the studio where we only have to hear from him 4 times a night.

4. Stop making excuses. I am so sick of the litany of excuses that get trotted out after every game for this team. The fans are not stupid. Stop insulting our collective intelligence. You are embarrassing yourselves.

I won't even start on the "guys in the truck" and the subpar production values but feel free to complain about this as well....

I can't stand the replays (or pre-recorded interviews) shown during live game play :|

And don't get me started on the broadcast intro music. I wonder if there's any way to pay off NBC and get their old NBA theme music from the early-mid 90s

Comment

They looked back at the 5 second call and said it was the right call. Watching the game i thought it was an awfully quick 5 seconds too. Looking back it was the right call. And as far as the officiating goes, the officials need to stop giving a reason for them to complain, Derozan as been assaulted repeatedly the last couple games. Ill give you that everytime is not going to warrant a call, im a big advocate for less touch fouls being called in the NBA, but when JV gets called for sealing off his position LEGALLY and then demar gets hammered in a shooting motion, i think everyone, even the broadcasters have a right to say something about.

Theyre announcing what happens, I dont see how analyzing the fact that a guy got fouled and then mentioning it is so far out of their job description?

Comment

Huge +1

Devlin is great on the Big Ten network and doing other basketball games that don't involve the Raptors but his work on Raptors broadcasts is bordering on bush league.

I love the typical "Derozan from 18.....no call" crap he continually spews.

We have a running joke when watching the games now so whenever there are any close calls or non-calls we say "send the tape to the league" because thats all Raps broadcasters do now is complain and remind us how the league says they missed a call in Charlotte.

Poor teams are always the type to complain about refs and Devlin is making himself look like the annoying homer announcer making excuses.

Comment

hmmmm.....
          What about this play ???

Ginobli makes a short pass through the defenders legs to Diaw. Realizes the pass is short . sprints of of bounds as the ref watches him and then is is is the first player to touch the ball after going out. he then continues to drive the ball for a and 1 lay up.

This IS and ilegal play. a players cannot go out of bounds then be the first player to touch the ball.

RULE : A player in control of a dribble who steps on or outside a boundary line, even though not touching the ball while on or outside that boundary line, shall not be allowed to return inbounds and continue his dribble. He may not even be the first player to touch the ball after he has re-established a position inbounds.

How about that Bullshit ?

Comment

Pick on Manu time:

How about the play where he jumps, lands, and then makes the pass for the assist?

I watched that 3 times and it was clearly an up and down.

Comment

Ya , that play was a joke too. the enitre raptors bench were rolling their hands fist-over-fist (if you get me) after watching that happen directly in front of them.

Comment

Haha, gotta love NBA.com also being oblivious to the rule, and posting the video like it's brag-worthy.

Comment

Devlin or Jack got that one wrong. I remember them talking about him "re-estabishing" himself, i just brushed it off as maybe a rule change that i didnt know about.

Officiating in general this year has been a joke, the pacers game was bad too, George Hill made the infamous "travel takeoff" from the perimeter like half a dozen times.

Comment

I haven't had an issue with the broadcasting, but it was only the tail-end of lat season that I actually found a way of watching Raptors games.
                    I'm sure with experience (and now that all these things have been pointed out) I'll start getting just as annoyed as everyone else.
                    Biggest Raptors fan from the Land Down Under

@alexhaggispinch

Toronto Raptors
                    Sydney Swans, Melbourne Storm
                    Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars, LA Angels of Anaheim

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Haha, gotta love NBA.com also being oblivious to the rule, and posting the video like it's brag-worthy.
                      so true...I was wondering where I saw that play before. Well done nba

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I can't stand the replays (or pre-recorded interviews) shown during live game play :|

And don't get me started on the broadcast intro music. I wonder if there's any way to pay off NBC and get their old NBA theme music from the early-mid 90s
                        I hope you don't mean the TSN Intro cause that is just sick!

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          So, this may be OT (and I know we have one these every few months) but, after the Spurs game, I feel the need to rant about our broadcast team and assume others feel the same. On the off-chance that someone on the production team might read Raptors' sites to see what fans are saying, some pleas from this fan:

1. Stop complaining about the officials. If you want to highlight the odd bad call then that's good but every single time a Raptor drives to the basket and misses a shot it isn't because he's fouled. "No call!" "Derozan can't believe there's no call!". It's 10 times a game and it's annoying as hell. Please stop. It's also extending to other parts of the game like Calderon's obvious five-second call, which led to more bitching and whining from Devlin and Leo. Just stop, already. Enough.

2. Feel free to tell the truth. Enough with the MLSE talking points. I understand you get paid by MLSE but Greg Zaun (as much of an idiot as he is) also gets paid by Rogers and he isn't afraid to speak his mind and call out the organization. More of this please. I know you want to - I can hear it in your voices. Free the beast!

3. Why is Leo Rautins still on the air? He adds nothing to the broadcast and hasn't for years. His condescending demeanour is a huge turnoff for viewers. If you must employ him for some reason, leave him in the studio where we only have to hear from him 4 times a night.

4. Stop making excuses. I am so sick of the litany of excuses that get trotted out after every game for this team. The fans are not stupid. Stop insulting our collective intelligence. You are embarrassing yourselves.

I won't even start on the "guys in the truck" and the subpar production values but feel free to complain about this as well....
                          1,2,4 I feel you man, but you (not me unfortunately) are still going to watch the next game. They can't just come out and call it the way they see it because the casual fan (bless them) doesn't realize how complete utter wastes we are at times and anything to suggest that (even the truth) is not acceptable, they are trying to package the product in a way that appeals to the uninformed and people who know little about the franchise.

#3....My guess is b/c before tristan thompson, leo rautins was the highest drafted canadian (at pick 17), and that may hold some weight to the ppl old enough to remember that (certainly not me). He is also less ugly than jack, so that's a +1 in the media business.

And personally I don't understand the leo hate. Sure he singles people out, but it makes for a nice change from devlin who is too much of a homer. He also makes fun of devlin, which I like. Oh yeah I don't like matt devlin.
                          Last edited by akashsingh; Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Leo's a bum!

He comes across as arrogant, petty, and full of himself.

Despite actually playing in the NBA at one point and being coach of a national team, he rarely (if ever) has provided really interesting insight, which you'd expect from someone with his experience.

I agree with all the points slaw made, (including production! maybe we should start a letter writing campaign to get them to stop replays, if the play is still in action.) that said I could forgive them all there flaws, if they would just get rid of Leo. He comes across as a giant uber-douche.

Most colour or play by play guys have some annoying habits and I can deal with that, but I for one think Leo has a bad attitude and should be canned. The organisation is trying to implement a culture change isn't it? I bet firing Leo would add a few more wins to the season total as well (only half kidding).

I'd rather fire Leo than Bargs. I mean Bargs only has what, 2-3 years left on his contract? Who knows how long Leo's going to be around, it's not like he's going to be offered a coaching job anywhere anytime soon.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I like Leo, I have zero problem with him doing any games.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X