Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your biggest disappointment in Raps History?

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, i became a Raps fan because of VC. So i would say VC leaving is the most disappointing thing for me.

Still a huge VC fan by the way. I know the chances are slim but i hope he retires as a Raps and see #15 in the rafters one day.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy for me. Hakeem signing. Worst move ever followed by the horrible return we got on vince. Fucking babcock worked one year and destroyed the team for a decade with the vince trade and araujo signing but glen and his fucking name grab with hakeem destroyed this teams chances of capitalizing on its' most successful year.

Fucking hakeem. I remember almost perfectly vince striding into that press conference smiling and hakeem smiling and straight faced telling us that vince was one of the big reasons for signing with us. The other offers he got as a horribly regressing old man are some i would love to be privy to.

Fuck kenny anderson
    Fuck vince
    Fuck mourning with a hot iron
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Mon Nov 26th, 2012 at 11:40 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    He wears the number 7.

Seriously though, couple of years ago when we were like a game back of making the playoffs and the raps lost, and the bulls won pushing us out at like the last game of the season.
    are you talking about the game we lost to Chicago or the last game? the raps blew out the team, but so did Chicago to clinch.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    Seriously though, couple of years ago when we were like a game back of making the playoffs and the raps lost, and the bulls won pushing us out at like the last game of the season.
    that was the game bosh missed a lay-up when he was all alone right? then two months later moved to miami?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Where does one begin?

Seriously.

Lets go with the latest: coin flip.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

T-Mac leaving might have been the the trigger for all of the VC/Babcock stuff. If T-Mac stays for his prime years (and they play well together), we are a finals contender. T-Mac leaves, it all goes to hell.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    T-Mac leaving might have been the the trigger for all of the VC/Babcock stuff. If T-Mac stays for his prime years (and they play well together), we are a finals contender. T-Mac leaves, it all goes to hell.
    So according. To you, T-Mac is to be blamed for our snowball?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it was definitely not being able to surround VC with better players and keep him happy and the team competetive. He made us such a relevant and exciting team to watch and I always felt like we had a chance to win almost any game with him in the line up.

Eventually though, even I got sick of watching the same play getting called for him time and time again (isolation at the top of the 3 pt circle) and he was starting to get worn out. What could have been if we just had a better coach and talent to surround him with?

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    So according. To you, T-Mac is to be blamed for our snowball?
    I don't blame T-Mac directly, but it makes sense when you think about it. He left because VC and him wouldn't share, but imagine if T-Mac stays and is happy to be 2nd fiddle (while possibly being the better player). T-Mac and VC in their prime years, while giving it their all would have turned this team into an elite team. Maybe even a choice destination for free agents (vet's looking to play for a contender at least). No lottery picks, no coaching changes, no VC trade fiasco. A strong team built around 2 incredible perimeter players that could have feed off each other, helped each other, and built a culture of winning.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like others have mentioned, there have been a ton of disappointments over the years, but the most heartbreaking has to be Vince's missed jumper vs. Philly in the 2001 playoffs. The Raptors were that close [pinching fingers] to a remarkable run....also known as getting stomped in the finals by LA.

Following that shot was the beginning of the end for Vince in Raptorland, and the franchise has yet to recover over a decade later (and counting).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

i remember being ENRAGED with the vince deal and being similarly frustrated when they refused to entertain the idea of trading bosh.

trading for JO was a bad time for me too
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So many moments:

VC missed J, VCs injuries or VCs quiting?

Babcock Hoffa and the VC trade?

Kevin O'neil?

Andrea?

There's more of course but lemme cut to the chase. My most heartbreaking moment as a Raps fan was the Chris Childs mental meltdown in the waning seconds of the decisive g5 loss in the first round of the 2002 playoffs vs Motown. The squad had overcome Vinces injury, a long losing streak and rallied to make the dance. They then came back from 2 down with half a Hakeem and an indifferent Lenny Wilkins on nothing but sheer will. That squad was like one from a movie: out manned and out coached they dug deep and wore their hearts on their sleeves. In the end they lost because one of the guys most key to that resolve lost his goddamned mind.

I think it had quite the impact on CC as well. He was a fat shadow of himself the next year in NJ and out of the league pretty quickly.
    Last edited by minks77; Tue Nov 27th, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

the last 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

The entire Colangelo era.

I had very high hopes when he replaced Babcock. Finally, after a decade of poor management, they were finally getting a GM with a proven track record of success. Sure, he had his issues with some poor contracts but every GM does. He immediately brought in Gherardini, which seemed like an awesome hire at the time. More importantly, Colangelo seemed to recognize and embrace the challenge of getting players to Toronto. He was going to be creative. Innovative. They had a budding all-star in Bosh, a #1 overall pick, and Colangelo had free rein to do whatever he wanted.

And now, 7 seasons later, the team is no better off than it was when he got here and, in between, no playoffs series wins and 4, soon to be 5 years, out of the playoffs altogether. In fact, the last two years have combined for a worse winning percentage than the dark ages of the Babcock disaster.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    are you talking about the game we lost to Chicago or the last game? the raps blew out the team, but so did Chicago to clinch.
    Ya weren't we facing the Knicks? I think we destroyed them. I remember watching the game on The Score and they kept the Chicago game on the ticker during the whole game. That was definitely a heartbreaker. Had Chicago lost the game we would've made the playoffs

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

had bosh hit a wide open layup to beat GSW we wouldve made the playoffs.

Sonny weems was a boss on that possession, Bosh was just a bosh.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Norma Wick
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Like others have mentioned, there have been a ton of disappointments over the years, but the most heartbreaking has to be Vince's missed jumper vs. Philly in the 2001 playoffs. The Raptors were that close [pinching fingers] to a remarkable run....also known as getting stomped in the finals by LA.

Following that shot was the beginning of the end for Vince in Raptorland, and the franchise has yet to recover over a decade later (and counting).
    Absolutely agree. The drafting of Damon Stoudamire and that missed VC shot are the only Raptors moments that I clearly remember exactly where I was for them. One was the beginning of the Raptors, the other was the biggest heartbreak.

However, I think my biggest disappointment was the entire Rob Babcock era. It started with him drafting Hoffa (@ #8) ahead of Iguodala in the 2004 draft, peaked with the absolutely dreadful VC trade during the 2004-05 season, which was followed by the drafting of Villanueva (@ #7) & Graham (@ #16) in the 1st round of the 2005 draft (ahead of guys like Granger).

To think that all those terrible moves happened within 2 seasons! The 2004 draft, trading away a superstar and the 2005 draft could/should have drastically changed the long-term outlook of the Toronto Raptors franchise for the better... instead, it was a 2-year clusterfuck, from which the franchise/fanbase has never fully recovered.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    instead, it was a 2-year clusterfuck, from which the franchise/fanbase has never fully recovered.
    So just what will it take to fully recover. How far do we have to go? Like, 2 years in a row of making the playoffs? One conference finals? Will that make it all worth it? I know we are not going to make the finals anytime soon so Conference will be good enough for me. Even if we don't win as long as it's close I'm good for now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

lets just say we were fucked from the start.
    we didnt get iverson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information