Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raps make ESPN's 5 on 5 list. Not in a good way though!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raps make ESPN's 5 on 5 list. Not in a good way though!

4. Biggest disappointment of the first month of the season is : http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...storylines-nba see for yourself. I am actually surprises that the Raps got mentioned in this at all. Does that mean people in the NBA expected more of us? Wow our time to turn some head and it turned out being in the other direction.

Can we catch a break? Guess we are doomed! Kidding, but in all seriousness, we wanted to be talked about so now we are.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Most important thing to know about the first month of the season is

Poulard: The Eastern Conference's bottom feeders are quite awful. Toronto, Cleveland and Washington have as many wins combined as the Phoenix Suns.

Pretty crazy bu true!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how this team is significantly worse than last years. It baffles me.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, I guess I have to stop taking what these guys on ESPN say to heart!

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I don't know how this team is significantly worse than last years. It baffles me.
    3 new starters, 2 new rookies, 1 rookie starting center
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors are quite the same team like they were last year, after injury Lowry isn't a big (if any) upgrade of Jose, Valanciunas lacks experience and strength. McGuire is probably even worse than James Johnson who at least brought some blocks, athleticism and energy. Somehow we are terrible in defence and team chemistry doesn't look that good like it was last year (maybe I'm wrong with the last statement)... The main difference is that last year we were tanking team and now we are playoff contenders (according to BC)
    Last edited by japetas; Thu Nov 29th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't baffle me, it blows me away.

The new players brought in, in my opinion, were upgrades over last season (Lowry>Bayless, Fields>Johnson, JV>Alabi/Magloire, Ross>Forbes {sorry, ceez}, McGuire>Butler).

I don't understand.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess now its fairly obvious that last year's defensive improvement were anchored by JJ and Bayless since now that theyre gone, the defense went along with them.

Certainly Fields and AA are no upgrades over JJ and Lucas and Calderon on Bayless.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

The new players brought in, in my opinion, were upgrades over last season (Lowry>Bayless, Fields>Johnson, JV>Alabi/Magloire, Ross>Forbes {sorry, ceez}, McGuire>Butler).

I don't understand.
    Chemistry maybe? Injuries?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    how about both of those things?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey's success last season was with his ability for his players to play defense. Bryan gave Casey a bonus because he was able to transform the team's defensive identity.

This year it seems to be all about offense, which has killed their defense. If Casey went back to what he did last year, things would be much different. The talent is marginally better than last year, but the decision making has become much worse.

Either that or all the other teams have scouted Toronto a lot better and know how to beat them.

Raptors Republic Rookie robert parrish 00's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Totally agree

I don't understand.
    I thought at very least we would be as lousy as last year too. The funny thing is I thought our upgrades were just as good as the Nets...(insert fart noise). Preseason set my expectations way higher than they should have been.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Chemistry for sure. But I would argue that the injuries may have helped us (ie if LF wasnt hurt, no way that T Ross gets time .. who is clearly our best 2/3 after Demar). Its really, really frustrating.

I think the one thing that ppl are missing is that the rest of the league got a lot better (especially the bottom feeders). Charlotte, Nets in particular .. but still, it doesnt explain 3-12!

Maybe the biggest factor is that we have just lost so many close games .. 2 or 3 of the last posession games go our way and it doesnt look nearly as bad...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    3 new starters, 2 new rookies, 1 rookie starting center
    More Talent outweighs youth.

Inexcusable.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand.
    Neither do I, Matt. Clever avatar, but the struggles this year as compared to last year are not on Colangelo. As you said, he brought in talent upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Chemistry for sure. But I would argue that the injuries may have helped us (ie if LF wasnt hurt, no way that T Ross gets time .. who is clearly our best 2/3 after Demar). Its really, really frustrating.

I think the one thing that ppl are missing is that the rest of the league got a lot better (especially the bottom feeders). Charlotte, Nets in particular .. but still, it doesnt explain 3-12!

Maybe the biggest factor is that we have just lost so many close games .. 2 or 3 of the last posession games go our way and it doesnt look nearly as bad...
    3-13...

2 overtime losses (tied after 4q)

2 losses by 1 point (one of which the NBA has publically admitted was the ref's fault)

1 loss by 2 points

1 shot goes down instead of lipping out, or 1 reffing call goes our way or 1 more free throw is made (FT shooting has been dreadful thus far!) and the Raptors could very easily be 8-8, sitting in 8th place in the East, without even playing any better than they've played.

I know a loss is a loss, but it's optimism VS pessimism... and I really hope that DC can keep his young team from getting too pessimistic about their record, especially in light of the # of new starters (including 1 rookie), all the injuries and especially the fact that the Raptors have had one of the toughest schedules to start the season (which will be balanced out in Dec/Jan)... the sky is only falling if DC lets it fall.

I maintain my optimism.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Nov 29th, 2012 at 04:08 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote robert parrish 00 wrote: View Post
    I thought at very least we would be as lousy as last year too. The funny thing is I thought our upgrades were just as good as the Nets...(insert fart noise). Preseason set my expectations way higher than they should have been.
    I assume you must haved mistyped. You thought that Lowry, JV LF and Ross would be as good as Joe Johnson, Lopez (back from injury) and Gerald Wallace this year? As much as I had hope for these guys, lowry is the only legit NBA player. Think what you might about JJ, GW and BL .. but they are all legit NBA players (JJ a legit allstar).

3 years from now .. maybe. Considering their contracts .. maybe. But this year on the court? No way ..

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post

A few more calls going our way would have had us in a lot better position. Think the guys are kind of pissed thing have gone the way they have call wise which has made things how they are so some degree!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors have become a team satisfied with losing. Players come here, develop, sign an extension, and then hope they get traded. We are the Wolves and Clippers of the 90's.

Raptors Republic Rookie robert parrish 00's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought our upgrades were better. We upgraded with Lowry, JV, LF and Ross. They had Wallace for 1/4 of the season, so I wouldn't count him as a upgrade. I thought Lopez would be a step slow after being out for so long injured. So that left one big upgrade of Joe Johnson and I thought all our little upgrades would equal their one all star. So yeah, that was my line of thinking, I was wrong, and nope didn't mistype.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information