No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Raptors Sign Pietrus; Waive McGuire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Means we are paying mcguires contract right?

Quite a meh pickup for me. We now have a logjam at the 3 and 4 with nay an allstar at either position. Using up all our roster spots on average/serviceable/dime a dozen/trade fodder players that won't be able to garner intrest in trades to improve us. Right now the only tradeable assets we have are jose' contract/bargs/ross/demar/lowry/ed and bigv. Safe to say bigv and lowry aren't going anywhere and demar will likely be staying so bargs, jose, ed and ross for a real player. I doubt amir could be used as anything but a salary match throw in.

I expect once klieza activates his player option he will be amnestied. If we amnesty him today would we have to pay that year as well?

#freebargs, #bringinpritchard

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      Means we are paying mcguires contract right?

Quite a meh pickup for me. We now have a logjam at the 3 and 4 with nay an allstar at either position. Using up all our roster spots on average/serviceable/dime a dozen/trade fodder players that won't be able to garner intrest in trades to improve us. Right now the only tradeable assets we have are jose' contract/bargs/ross/demar/lowry/ed and bigv. Safe to say bigv and lowry aren't going anywhere and demar will likely be staying so bargs, jose, ed and ross for a real player. I doubt amir could be used as anything but a salary match throw in.

I expect once klieza activates his player option he will be amnestied. If we amnesty him today would we have to pay that year as well?

#freebargs, #bringinpritchard
      I think DM's contract wasn't guaranteed.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

good signing given the market. Need something to show that the record isn't acceptable, but not too much that would be considered over reacting. A measured response I'd say.
        Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Wake me up when it's over. This isn't going to address a damn thing. If a strong gust of wind happens to blow on his knees, watch out.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            He's also a pretty good shooter and defender
            huh?
            he played like shit last year in bos

Comment

Pietrus is an exceptional shooter. Very solid defender, and he is a very good character.

This is an upgrade in my opinion over McGuire and Anderson. Watched quite a bit of Boston last year, and he was solid. Injuries was something that got in his way though, hopefully he can stay healthy, because we can't afford 3 wing players out.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                You can only amnesty during a short window in the offseason, so we won't get the chance until July, at which point he will have already opted into his final year (presumably), and the Raptors will pay for it. However, my understanding is that had they amnestied him last summer, the Raptors would only be on the hook for the current year, since the option year doesn't count as guaranteed salary at that point.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post

Pietrus is an exceptional shooter. Very solid defender, and he is a very good character.

This is an upgrade in my opinion over McGuire and Anderson. Watched quite a bit of Boston last year, and he was solid. Injuries was something that got in his way though, hopefully he can stay healthy, because we can't afford 3 wing players out.
                  is he even in game shape?

Comment

+1

Comment

Pietrus isn't going to be a problem solver, but he can be a solution to a couple of small issues.

Wing productivity, 3-ball, defense, and veteran leadership. Will be a 10-15 minute guy, can give some good stretches. Not a player that I would start, and give extended minutes to though, unless he is playing lights out.

Team: Lowry, Derozan, Fields, Bargnani, Valanciunas :: Calderon, Ross, Pietrus, Davis, Johnson, Anderson, Lucas, Gray.
                      As much as I like Dominic McGuire and how he's brought in some solid play, it's Pietrus (and a healthy one at that) > DM anyday of the week.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                        is he even in game shape?
                        That's honestly doubtful, but he's not expected to start nor log 20 minutes. Just going to play some small stretches between 10-15 minutes a game. Probably starting off in garbage time, or if team is seriously lacking production.

Comment

playing in Boston tends to keep you in game shape I can see him coming behind Klieza for now.

Comment

knowledgep wrote: View Post
                            i'll take a Pietrus for McGuire flip anyday of the week.
                            +1. Gotta agree, anyone who's played significant minutes in the league deserves to play over McGuire.
                            Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

That's honestly doubtful, but he's not expected to start nor log 20 minutes. Just going to play some small stretches between 10-15 minutes a game. Probably starting off in garbage time, or if team is seriously lacking production.
                              I disagree. He'll probably log major minutes atleast for the first month while fields and Anderson are out. Our wings right now are DD, Ross and Kleiza. Pietrus will have to play a lot until our wings return, then I can see him playing garbage minutes unless he proves otherwise.

Comment

LOL. this guy sounds like he smokes more weed than ed davis and james johnson combined.
                                Last edited by akashsingh; Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X