OFFICIAL: Raptors Sign Pietrus; Waive McGuire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post

Pietrus is an exceptional shooter. Very solid defender, and he is a very good character.

This is an upgrade in my opinion over McGuire and Anderson. Watched quite a bit of Boston last year, and he was solid. Injuries was something that got in his way though, hopefully he can stay healthy, because we can't afford 3 wing players out.
    Last year in Boston he shot the ball below his unimpressive career average. 21 mpg 6ppg 33 percent from 3pt range

Comment

Not even confirmed yet guys....

Any of you read the @RaptorsPR twitter account?
      TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
        You can only amnesty during a short window in the offseason, so we won't get the chance until July, at which point he will have already opted into his final year (presumably), and the Raptors will pay for it. However, my understanding is that had they amnestied him last summer, the Raptors would only be on the hook for the current year, since the option year doesn't count as guaranteed salary at that point.
        thank you. should have done it last year.

Comment

http://youtu.be/8HBe8lDqGr8

You know I was liking this signing already, but based on the video above I'm now LOVING it. Regardless of whether he adds anything on the court, if at the very least he can bring that attitude and have it rub off on our young raps, then this signing will have been a success.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post

LOL. this guy sounds like he smokes more weed than ed davis and james johnson combined.
            I had a dream last night I saw Amir Johnson smoking weed at a party. Ed Davis was next to him not looking impressed.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post

LOL. this guy sounds like he smokes more weed than ed davis and james johnson combined.
              Ed Davis doesn't smoke weed bro. Don't be putting false accusations on my man Eddy D

Comment

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/29...o-join-raptors

Comment

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...lease-mcguire/

Looks like it's confirmed: 2 Canada sources, Real GM and USA Today...

Comment

As useless as I think Pietrus is for the long-run, I think having him in the starting lineup could actually benefit Lowry, DeRozan and Bargnani, assuming he can consistently knock down open 3's (or at least be enough of a threat to do so).

Bargnani - having another player to spread the floor should (are you listening DC?) allow him to play inside more often, posting up more than we've seen him do lately, which should enable his offensive efficiency to improve.

Lowry & DeRozan - having a constant 3pt threat (and Bargnani as a 2nd threat) on the floor should open up more driving lanes for both players to penetrate off the dribble and get to the basket (and/or the free throw line); the defense will actually have to account for Pietrus, something they didn't have to worry about with McGuire in the lineup.

I think Pietrus can potentially come in and give the starting lineup everything that we expected Fields to: above average perimeter defense, good 3pt shooting as a #4/5 option on offense, decent peripheral stats (ie: rebounding & assists), while bringing more of a veteran presence than Fields could offer as a 3rd year player.

Comment

Think I might've had the link wrong the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBe8lDqGr8&sns=em

Comment

Optifan, both links work

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          As useless as I think Pietrus is for the long-run, I think having him in the starting lineup could actually benefit Lowry, DeRozan and Bargnani, assuming he can consistently knock down open 3's (or at least be enough of a threat to do so).

Bargnani - having another player to spread the floor should (are you listening DC?) allow him to play inside more often, posting up more than we've seen him do lately, which should enable his offensive efficiency to improve.

Lowry & DeRozan - having a constant 3pt threat (and Bargnani as a 2nd threat) on the floor should open up more driving lanes for both players to penetrate off the dribble and get to the basket (and/or the free throw line); the defense will actually have to account for Pietrus, something they didn't have to worry about with McGuire in the lineup.

I think Pietrus can potentially come in and give the starting lineup everything that we expected Fields to: above average perimeter defense, good 3pt shooting as a #4/5 option on offense, decent peripheral stats (ie: rebounding & assists), while bringing more of a veteran presence than Fields could offer as a 3rd year player.
                          +1. Good move, but only for now. Depending on how he may perform for the year, I wouldn't mind having him on the roster for a bit longer. Has some serious veteran experience, and unlike Butler, Carter, Magloire, etc. He is a guy that can actually play and give a good contribution, without being a liability.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I'll hold off judgement until I see him play, but I think it's a solid signing.
                            Inexpensive and if he can chuck in a couple 3's and play even average defense, it's a good deal.
                            Biggest Raptors fan from the Land Down Under

@alexhaggispinch

Toronto Raptors
                            Sydney Swans, Melbourne Storm
                            Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars, LA Angels of Anaheim

Comment

Pietrus is not really going to add anything. Yes, he's better than McGuire, but the dude is constantly injured. Meh on this signing. I would much rather see the sign some someone younger. There's gotta be some decent dude in the D-League worth a look right?

I'm kinda surprised Pietrus didn't wait for a contender to make an offer.

Comment

He's even younger than Jose (by 4 months) but looks a lot more experienced because he played in some really good franchises . If he's not Butler 2.0 then it's bad news for Anderson...
                                (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

Working...
                                X