Clear All

• Future Raptors VS 2000 Portland Trailblazers

Current Starting Raptors Roster VS 2000 Portland Trailblazers
    Lowry D.Stoudamire
    DeRozan Jim Jackson
    Pietrus Scottie Pippen
    Bargs Rasheed Wallace
    Val Avydas Sabonis

As the stats, on every level, the Raps lose the battle except for maybe DeRozan. So if we have to build the roster like the 2000 Portland Trailblazers, I say we need to make a few changes.

1) Lowry is a keeper, although he's not Mighty Mouse but he can definitely become one and become the cornerstone of all PG in the Raptors franchise

2) DeRozan is a keeper, a much better all around player than Jim Jackson but his shooting touch needs improvement but don't worry, we have Terrence Ross as the primary backup unless he's traded

3) Pietrus is not our answer, although a key veteran who played in a few playoffs in his career, he's not Scottie Pippen, we need a huge boost at the SF position, dare I say Andrew Wiggins, if not, if we are lucky to land in the top 3, draft either McAdoo or Poythress or bottom 15, Otto Potter or Adonis Thomas (defensive SF)

4) Bargs will never be a Rasheed Wallace, so this position needs an upgrade nor will Ed Davis ever reach the toenail of R.Wallace's career stats. Bargs will do well probably as a primary backup or traded so we can let Ed Davis develop his career.

5) Valaciunas will become better than Sabonis, although not as physically ready as Sabonis but on the offensive end, a faster version of Sabonis wouldn't hurt, this will take another 2-3 years.

So in 2014-15 Season is the time we get to see the Raptors to make some real noise in our conferences, by that time, the Lebron James, Wade, Bosh, Durant, Howard will be at their prime and god forbid we regress to another rebuilding stage or move the the team to the States.

Dream 2014-15 Raptors
    Lowry/Drafted PG/Veteran PG (possibly Kirk Hinrich or Maurice Williams if they are still around)
    DeRozan/T.Ross/
    A.Wiggins/L.Fields/
    veteran PF/Ed Davis
    Valanciunas/veteran C

lets not get unlucky like oden

Comment

The 2000 blazers would kick toronto's assin a smoke-off or in collective years of jail time as well.

Comment

i will cry like a woman if bigv ends up better than sabonis. we will have multiple championships until the lakers steal him

Comment

you lost me at no5
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Tenforthewin with a classic!
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

First off, Sabonis is a Hall of Fame center. So let's not get carried away with "JV will be a better player than Sabonis" comment.

Second, we're not getting Wiggins. I still think this team will win 35+ this year. And next year is the year they make a serious run for a playoff spot.

Third, the 2000 Blazers would smoke the living hell out of this current Raptors team.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

JV could be a better player than the Sabonis that played in the NBA, what JV will lack in skill, he will compensate in hustle and athleticism. People see all of Sabonis' skill, passing/ shooting ability, IQ and they tend to forget how his injuries bothered him and diminished his athleticism, and that unfortunately sometimes made him a liability on defense and left us guesing jus how good would he ever have been minus the injuries. So if JV can reach his potential he can be a better all around plauer than the post injury Sabonis

Comment

And Rasheed Wallace was a really good defender, much better than Bargs, offensively the comparison somewhat works, still Rasheed was a much more eficient scorer

Comment

I think he means better than Sabonis in the context of the 2000 Blazers, not prime...
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                      I think he means better than Sabonis in the context of the 2000 Blazers, not prime...
                      The 2000 Sabonis averaged 10pts 5.4rebs 1.5asists and about a block a game so its probably safe to say JV will be better than the 2000 Sabonis version

Comment

That may be true but Sabonis in his prime was one helluva player!
                        Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

Oh dude *facepalm*

That's what I call delusional wishful thinking... 'Developing Sabonis' offensive game in 2-3 years.' This is where I stopped reading. I think it's safe to say that it's never gonna happen. Sabonis had a complete offensive game - post up game, 2pt jumper, 3pt jumper, hookshots, great court vision, everything...

While I love Jonas, he's never gonna have a 3pt shot / good court vision, nor he should have. He might develop some post up moves down the road. He has decent athleticism and great length/hustle with a soft touch. Add TALENT to that equation and you get an all-star (probably not HOF) center.

Sabonis though, was in a different league.
                          Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Mon Dec 3, 2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X