Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: GT: Toronto vs. Denver, Dec. 3, 2012.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even JL3 got some good minutes in hes really trying to take Calerons job

Post Thanks / Like

What a wild game. I can't take many more of these Heart-wrenchers .. my girlfriend is starting to worry about my well being.

In related news, ESPN had a feature on the Rookies who saw action on Monday night; they had the following to say about our two rooks:
    Quote ESPN - Daily Dime wrote:
    On JV:
    Nobody spends more time on the court with his arm in the air calling for the ball in the block than Jonas Valanciunas. On most possessions, the 20-year-old Lithuanian has earned it. He uses every part of his torso, tuchus and base to carve out space for himself on the block. The most entertaining sideshow in the Raptors-Nuggets game was the endless game of rugby going on down low between Valanciunas and Kenneth Faried when the Raps had possession. One look at the wily shot-fake, nimble baseline drive and furious reverse dunk in the second quarter against Faried could sell the most ardent Valanciunas-skeptics on his frightening size-skill talents.

On Ross
    • The Raptors need some defensive-minded wings in the rotation, and Terrence Ross represents the team's best hope in both the near and long term. He has quick instincts and Tony Allen size without the brute strength. On Monday night, Ross spent most of his time on Corey Brewer, then was part of Toronto's Hack-a-Vale strategy in the third quarter. The most promising moment for Ross came when he attacked JaVale McGee with an assertive baseline drive, then drew the foul en route to the basket. Not a big deal, except the whistle sent Ross to the line for his first pair of free throws of the season (he had a single unsuccessful attempt against Boston as part of an and-1). He followed that by stepping rhythmically into a pretty catch-and shoot jumper in transition.(ADD: This 3 actually really got the final big run going, if I'm not mistaken.)
    Source
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Dec 4th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    That was me. Never turn off a Raps-Nugs game in Denver - you never know what is going to happen.

Anyway, good comeback effort. Second unit was awful in the first half led by Calderon who was atrocious. That stretch was where the game was decided.
    I've learned my lesson.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't know why Dwane casey doesn't just make these guys grind it out every game. We'd win so many more games if we just played slow and controlled the boards and play lockdown paint defense.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dwane really got into the game in the 4th; jumping up and down, waving his arms and yelling at his players left and right. Maybe if he keeps up that intensity, the team will perform

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    Dwane really got into the game in the 4th; jumping up and down, waving his arms and yelling at his players left and right. Maybe if he keeps up that intensity, the team will perform
    He does that nearly every game though....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    He does that nearly every game though....
    He does it once in a while, but usually yelling at the refs. Last night he was standing for nearly the whole 4th quarter and yelling to his team almost every time down the floor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    He does it once in a while, but usually yelling at the refs. Last night he was standing for nearly the whole 4th quarter and yelling to his team almost every time down the floor
    I definitely feel he needs to do more than that to get get a win.. Point blank, he's just getting out-coached...

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely feel he needs to do more than that to get get a win.. Point blank, he's just getting out-coached...
    Definitely. Whatever he did in Denver really got the guys going. Hopefully we'll see that kinda play more often now

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its time for a new direction player wise 3 years with the same basic core.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    I think its time for a new direction player wise 3 years with the same basic core.
    3 years isn't a lot of time for a core to grow. It's individuals that become the issues when talking about a core. 7 years of under producing is one of those...

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

3 years isn't a lot of time for a core to grow. It's individuals that become the issues when talking about a core. 7 years of under producing is one of those...
    we are and were never even close to even knocking on the door of playoffs let alone championship these guys are not going to get it done

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

what 3 years with what core?
    Bargnani
    Derozan
    Calderon
    Bosh
    Hedo

Was 3 years ago

Derozan
    Lowry
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Ed Davis
    Terrence Ross
    Bargnani
    Calderon

is now our core.
    This team hasnt even been given 20 games to play as a core for you to judge if they can be good or not. Im leaning to no, I think Bargs and Calderon are the odd men out, and the others need to gain more experience, but I think we are much closer to our core now than 3 years ago by far. (JV, DD, Ross seem capable of being career-long raptors)
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Bargnani
    Derozan
    Calderon
    Bosh
    Hedo

Was 3 years ago

Derozan
    Lowry
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Ed Davis
    Terrence Ross
    Bargnani
    Calderon

is now our core.
    This team hasnt even been given 20 games to play as a core for you to judge if they can be good or not. Im leaning to no, I think Bargs and Calderon are the odd men out, and the others need to gain more experience, but I think we are much closer to our core now than 3 years ago by far. (JV, DD, Ross seem capable of being career-long raptors)
    +1

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So 2 years from now are we still looking for our PG? I hope Lowry stays to further develop alongside Ross, DD and JV hopefully Ed too.

Post Thanks / Like

Lowry hasn't been great recently but i think that's more cause of his injury/needs to get into better shape than anything. people crying for him to go are insane.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani
    Derozan
    Calderon
    Bosh
    Hedo

Was 3 years ago

Derozan
    Lowry
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Ed Davis
    Terrence Ross
    Bargnani
    Calderon

is now our core.
    Very logical and well thought out post Enlightenment ... Better watch yourself. That'll get you in trouble around here. Haha

Kidding aside, I actually completely agree. Not to mention that bringing in a new Point Guard for these guys after how many years of playing with Jose "here, you have the ball" Calderon, is going to take some time.

And while I wouldn't be against making a move this early in the season, it very rarely happens. If by the end of December, we've only won another few games, then perhaps I'll jump on the #ChickenLittleSkyisfalling. Until then, I hold out hope that this first month was just some brutal growing pains.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani
    Derozan
    Calderon
    Bosh
    Hedo

Was 3 years ago

Derozan
    Lowry
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Ed Davis
    Terrence Ross
    Bargnani
    Calderon

is now our core.
    As others have said, great post.

As much as I like Calderon, I wouldn't include him in our current core. Even if he's retained beyond this year as a veteran backup, I still wouldn't consider him part of a core (which to me is the young nucleus of players you intend to build around over the next 3-5+ years).

I would add Amir to the current core, but don't think there's room for both him and Davis long-term (regardless what happens to Bargnani). I also think Fields could be added to the current core, if he comes back from injury and is able to regain his rookie year form.

The sad thing is that half our current roster is NOT part of our future core, which means that there will continue to be significant roster turnover (without even trading any PFs) - Calderon, Kleiza, Gray, Pietrus, Anderson, Lucas, Acy. That right there speaks volumes about the serious need for an influx of legit talent into the Raptors' starting lineup!

CURRENT CORE (in no particular order, with age in bracket)
    - Valanciunas (20)
    - Lowry (26)
    - DeRozan (23)
    - Ross (21)
    - Bargnani (27)
    - Davis (23)
    - Amir (25)
    - Fields (24)
    --> avergage age of top-8 core players = 23.6
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Dec 5th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread Information