Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lakers failing experiment - trades might be coming... with Toronto??

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Look people, it's safe to assume they brought in D'Antoni to try and run the Steve Nash offense. Problem is Nash is 38 and he might do his thing this year, but he will be falling apart due to his age very soon. Maybe he can handle this season, but I'm not sure if he's got another year in him to RUN the offense with starter minutes. He might be effective off the bench for a couple more... but you see, it means pretty much they are all invested to win the championship THIS year. So D'Antoni makes sense as long as Steve Nash is the starting point and plays enough minutes and that comes with a limit time wise. Otherwise Mike D'Antoni is not the man they need.

Again Howard might not re-sign after this year and the rest will get one year older and slower. If they lose Dwight after this year, they HAVE to rebuild around Kobe. As Matt pointed out, Kobe has a no-trade clause in his contract (I missed out on that). So they will have to keep Kobe, unless Kobe himself and the franchise decide to change that...

So it all comes down to the Lakers chemistry. When built through big trades, all great teams either develop chemistry immediately (Boston) or it takes lots of time (Miami). It looks like Lakers need time, which they don't have for reasons mentioned above. This year I just don't see them beating Spurs (add Thunder, Grizzlies, maybe Clippers) in a playoff series, when Lakers are still developing chemistry.

About the Steve Nash offense. For it to work, Kobe needs to start playing way more off ball and spot up much more. I'm sorry if I don't see that happening. Pau Gasol wants to post up and for a good reason. He gets tired quickly when he needs to run up and down the court. He likes the half court game much better (watch some Laker games from past and present - you will see him always coming back late on D when pace is fast). Dwight might become a problem when opposing teams start to go for the hack-a-Dwight strategy during playoffs...

I really have difficulty seeing where the chemistry can come from. Starting with the coach who's only good for Nash. Gasol and Kobe being at their best in half-court situations. Their savior in all this mess could be Dwight, but with his atrocious FT-shooting he might also be their downfall.

My original post was about the trading, should Lakers still suck come trading deadline. This post is more about why I think they might suck. I might be wrong on all accounts and they may develop amazing chemistry once Nash gets back. All of this is for consideration only. I think it's the point of a forum.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all funny for Raps fans though, because Bargs is a natural option for LA now that they're in the D'Antoni System. It would give them Howard and 4 shooters (ok, Artest is only a shooter on his good days). Now, there are certainly other options, but the thing about trades is there have to be 2 willing partners or more. I've heard some Josh Smith rumors, but fact is with his expiring contract, he's not going anywhere til at least the trade deadline, and then only if Atlanta's season is really down the crapper, like bottom 5 in the league. Otherwise, he'll play out hte season, become a FA, probably re-sign in Atlanta, and the Lakers won't be able to get him. Another name I've heard is Ryan Anderson. I don't think this makes much sense either though since NOH must think him an important piece. They wouldn't be a winning team with Pau, they're that bad. Unless LA takes Eric Gordon's bad knees and worse contract as well, LA isn't getting Anderson. They also won't want another typical big, like Boozer or something, that would just have similar problems.
    So unless LA really doesn't like Bargs, he may be one of the better offers out there for Gasol. Obviously there'd have to be other pieces involved, but maybe not that many. It's hard to imagine a team offering a surefire high pick for Gasol, so they'd probably only get picks from average-good teams, or future picks. It's hard to see LA trading for an unproven asset as well, so while bad teams may want Gasol, they may not have anything to really offer a team that wants to contend.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am basking in this laker struggle to the season.

This team can't be assessed until they have Nash playing in the lineup. Plus we don't really need anyone they're trading away anyways.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

we need Gasol
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

mcsemcp73

Default Breaking News Gasol for Bargnani one deal that needs to happen

Post Thanks / Like

Soo fucking true. BC better get it done or else!
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

It's not really breaking news since nothing has happened yet. It's just a column written by some guy that's affiliated with the Bulls.

I would love to have Gasol here. Bargnani and Calderon? Pfft, I would do that deal in a millisecond.

Just imagine how many easy baskets JV will be getting from those sexy interior passes.

Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

just to add some fuel to the fire.

Steve Blake will be out 6 to 8 weeks with abdominal surgery

Post Thanks / Like

gasol would be almost 22 million dollar contract

yep, sounds like he's raptors material!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

hahahaha

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

honestly i'm all for getting rid of bargs. but calderon is a pretty valuable PG, i'd like to see another trade than this.

Post Thanks / Like

If a deal could land the Raptors a good, young SF to become part of the long-term core of this team, then I could bring myself to accept dealing away Bargnani & Calderon. However, I don't view Gasol as an improvement over Bargnani. He's much older, making way more money, much more injury prone (ie: bad knees) and clearly on the decline. The only way I would support a Bargnani/Calderon for Gasol trade, is if it's a multi-team deal that results in Gasol going someplace other than Toronto and a young stud SF (ie: Gay, Iguodala, Josh Smith) coming to Toronto.

I just don't see Memphis trading away Gay (they have no use/room for Gasol, unless they flip Z-Bo in another trade), or Denver trading away Iguodala (they are building a good young team to really contend in the next 2-5 seasons, not in win-now mode). Rumors also swirled that said Atlanta turned down a straight-up Gasol/Smith trade, so that doesn't make much sense either (apparently they want to preserve cap space and keep Smith on roster, both to lure D12 in the offseason).

I'm just not sure what other team(s) could be brought in to give Toronto a reason to pull the trigger on a deal like this.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Dec 3rd, 2012 at 06:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    gasol would be almost 22 million dollar contract

yep, sounds like he's raptors material!
    Better than Bargnani. Atleast we would begin winning

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The visual I get with Bargnani in a Laker uniform is one with Kobe getting up in his grill on national television telling him to get some rebounds and play some defense.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We need the veteran experience. I think that Pau could only be a positive to the development of our core.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if the Raptors want to get something for Bargnani and Calderon, they need to do better than just Gasol, which would mean looking at a multi-team trade.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like Gasol he's so soft.... excessive flopping which he gets benefited from by playing in LA Lakers. Last thing we need is a soft flopping 7 footer to replace our inconsistent one.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    I think that if the Raptors want to get something for Bargnani and Calderon, they need to do better than just Gasol, which would mean looking at a multi-team trade.
    Exactly. I'd rather let Calderon expire than bring Gasol in on that deal. If he can't be motivated with that team in L.A., WTF is he gonna wanna do here? He'll just be another guy we boo the shit out of, or complain about him around these parts. PASS!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I don't view Gasol as an improvement over Bargnani.
    what
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Only way we should be involved in a Gasol trade is if Houston is involved somehow and we get some young pieces.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information