Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lakers failing experiment - trades might be coming... with Toronto??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    It shouldn't take them too long to fix this problem. If it does, I'd simply blame it on bad management. The problem I see is that D'Antoni inherited a team that was not built to suit his coaching style. To make things worse Steve Nash(his floor General back in Phoenix) is not available. It's going to take a small deal to fix this. A simple Pau for Amare who exelled in the Phoenix system under D'Antoni, could work wonders IMO.
    Lakers would have to be tweeking on bathsalts to do that trade...Amare's knees & his contract insurance are poison!

Comment

Gasol for Bargnani and Calderon
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        Lakers would have to be tweeking on bathsalts to do that trade...Amare's knees & his contract insurance are poison!
        No to mention that they'd probably use Howard in the exact same role as they used Amarè. While Howard won't pop as well, he'll be even more dominant as the roll man.

As for what we'd offer, my ideal version would be to send Amir and Kleiza instead of Jose, so that it doesn't hurt us financially at all, going forward. But then again, that's probably precisely why they'd want Jose anyhow.

In that case, I'd include Amir (or Kleiza) and take back one of their backup PGs. Yes, that backup will suck balls compared to Jose, but that also means we'll never have to see a two PG lineup out there.
        Last edited by LC009; Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

BadDinosaur wrote: View Post

The idea to blow it all up and REBUILD, since this experiment doesn't seem to work and especially since Howard is not guaranteed to stay, must be especially enticing.
          Are you out of your mind? With Kobe wanting to win another title before he ends his career and the fan base in LA, that will never ever happen. Too much money there with the TV deals and Players and merchandising to blow it all up to start over. Plus they will never get rid of Pau until they know for sure that Howard will sign with them long time. Don't know if Howard will be able to deal with all the pressure of being the face of the franchise once Kobe retires. Just my 2cents

Comment

I am very happy the lakers suck. Serves all those bandwagons fans right.

Anyways, this is wishful thinking, even if they aren't gelling, none of the players on the raptors are the same caliber as the lakers players.

Comment

Look people, it's safe to assume they brought in D'Antoni to try and run the Steve Nash offense. Problem is Nash is 38 and he might do his thing this year, but he will be falling apart due to his age very soon. Maybe he can handle this season, but I'm not sure if he's got another year in him to RUN the offense with starter minutes. He might be effective off the bench for a couple more... but you see, it means pretty much they are all invested to win the championship THIS year. So D'Antoni makes sense as long as Steve Nash is the starting point and plays enough minutes and that comes with a limit time wise. Otherwise Mike D'Antoni is not the man they need.

Again Howard might not re-sign after this year and the rest will get one year older and slower. If they lose Dwight after this year, they HAVE to rebuild around Kobe. As Matt pointed out, Kobe has a no-trade clause in his contract (I missed out on that). So they will have to keep Kobe, unless Kobe himself and the franchise decide to change that...

So it all comes down to the Lakers chemistry. When built through big trades, all great teams either develop chemistry immediately (Boston) or it takes lots of time (Miami). It looks like Lakers need time, which they don't have for reasons mentioned above. This year I just don't see them beating Spurs (add Thunder, Grizzlies, maybe Clippers) in a playoff series, when Lakers are still developing chemistry.

About the Steve Nash offense. For it to work, Kobe needs to start playing way more off ball and spot up much more. I'm sorry if I don't see that happening. Pau Gasol wants to post up and for a good reason. He gets tired quickly when he needs to run up and down the court. He likes the half court game much better (watch some Laker games from past and present - you will see him always coming back late on D when pace is fast). Dwight might become a problem when opposing teams start to go for the hack-a-Dwight strategy during playoffs...

I really have difficulty seeing where the chemistry can come from. Starting with the coach who's only good for Nash. Gasol and Kobe being at their best in half-court situations. Their savior in all this mess could be Dwight, but with his atrocious FT-shooting he might also be their downfall.

My original post was about the trading, should Lakers still suck come trading deadline. This post is more about why I think they might suck. I might be wrong on all accounts and they may develop amazing chemistry once Nash gets back. All of this is for consideration only. I think it's the point of a forum.

Comment

It's all funny for Raps fans though, because Bargs is a natural option for LA now that they're in the D'Antoni System. It would give them Howard and 4 shooters (ok, Artest is only a shooter on his good days). Now, there are certainly other options, but the thing about trades is there have to be 2 willing partners or more. I've heard some Josh Smith rumors, but fact is with his expiring contract, he's not going anywhere til at least the trade deadline, and then only if Atlanta's season is really down the crapper, like bottom 5 in the league. Otherwise, he'll play out hte season, become a FA, probably re-sign in Atlanta, and the Lakers won't be able to get him. Another name I've heard is Ryan Anderson. I don't think this makes much sense either though since NOH must think him an important piece. They wouldn't be a winning team with Pau, they're that bad. Unless LA takes Eric Gordon's bad knees and worse contract as well, LA isn't getting Anderson. They also won't want another typical big, like Boozer or something, that would just have similar problems.
                So unless LA really doesn't like Bargs, he may be one of the better offers out there for Gasol. Obviously there'd have to be other pieces involved, but maybe not that many. It's hard to imagine a team offering a surefire high pick for Gasol, so they'd probably only get picks from average-good teams, or future picks. It's hard to see LA trading for an unproven asset as well, so while bad teams may want Gasol, they may not have anything to really offer a team that wants to contend.

Comment

I am basking in this laker struggle to the season.

This team can't be assessed until they have Nash playing in the lineup. Plus we don't really need anyone they're trading away anyways.
                  in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

we need Gasol

Comment

Breaking News Gasol for Bargnani one deal that needs to happen

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_121203.html

Comment

Soo fucking true. BC better get it done or else!

Comment

It's not really breaking news since nothing has happened yet. It's just a column written by some guy that's affiliated with the Bulls.

I would love to have Gasol here. Bargnani and Calderon? Pfft, I would do that deal in a millisecond.

Just imagine how many easy baskets JV will be getting from those sexy interior passes.

Comment

just to add some fuel to the fire.

Steve Blake will be out 6 to 8 weeks with abdominal surgery

Comment

gasol would be almost 22 million dollar contract

yep, sounds like he's raptors material!

Comment

hahahaha
                                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Working...
                                X