Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lakers failing experiment - trades might be coming... with Toronto??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If I were making decisions in Toronto right now, I'd be trying to do everything possible to facilitate any trade between Houston and LA for Gasol. To make any trade for Gasol, Houston would have to send out about $11.6M in salary. Houston has interesting young pieces and expiring contracts. Some of those expiring contracts and young pieces should be sent to Toronto.
    this is also funny, because even though I'd prefer we get Gasol instead of facilitate a trade, either way it shows that we're in a position to shake things up, which we should (especially if our performance does not improve by a lot), since this roster is still largely young, but still could stand to cement the transition away from the old team. Houston would seriously have a hard time getting Gasol straight up, because they don't have a lot of proven assets that LA could rely on. Anyway, Toronto should be active, as even though there might still be hope for a competitive season, it's clear this roster still lacks talent and/or veteran leadership.

Comment

I do like that SA trade. But would SA go for it? There would have to be some picks going their way.
      in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Bargnani + Kleiza for Pau works on trade machine

Comment

Why would anyone trade both Calderon and Bargnani for Gasol.
          Great trade for LA .... not so much for TO.

Comment

I would trade Bargnani for a bag of balls, just to get out from under his contract and get the rest of our bigs more minutes on the court. If the Lakers would do it, I would pull the trigger on Gasol (plus maybe duhon?) for Calderon and Bargnani in an instant.

Comment

There is ZERO reason to trade bargnani "just to get out from under his contract". We can do that as we like with the Amnesty clause (at least for cap purposes). Therefore if we're going to trade Barg we won't be taking back any bad contracts or bad players.

Comment

You guys do know Bargnani is better than Pau right? why would we want Pau? ....

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  You guys do know Bargnani is better than Pau right? why would we want Pau? ....
                  Better fit for the team moving forward.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                    crzy how gasol helped enhance the lacy of the most overrated player in history and now they want him out of town #freepaugasol
                    BINGO. Kobe owes one of his finals MVPs to Pau.

Comment

http://www.nba.com/lakers/stats/2009...als_stats.html

Worst finals MVP ever??

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                        gasol would be almost 22 million dollar contract

yep, sounds like he's raptors material!
                        Well, better than a combined 20million for players who cant rebound, cant defend and cant inbound.

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                          honestly i'm all for getting rid of bargs. but calderon is a pretty valuable PG, i'd like to see another trade than this.
                          Calderon is the Lebron James of the Raptors, and not in a good way.

Jose plays good the first 3 quarters and totally loses his mojo in the 4th. Bad inbounds, bad passes, bad defense.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            If a deal could land the Raptors a good, young SF to become part of the long-term core of this team, then I could bring myself to accept dealing away Bargnani & Calderon. However, I don't view Gasol as an improvement over Bargnani. He's much older, making way more money, much more injury prone (ie: bad knees) and clearly on the decline. The only way I would support a Bargnani/Calderon for Gasol trade, is if it's a multi-team deal that results in Gasol going someplace other than Toronto and a young stud SF (ie: Gay, Iguodala, Josh Smith) coming to Toronto.

I just don't see Memphis trading away Gay (they have no use/room for Gasol, unless they flip Z-Bo in another trade), or Denver trading away Iguodala (they are building a good young team to really contend in the next 2-5 seasons, not in win-now mode). Rumors also swirled that said Atlanta turned down a straight-up Gasol/Smith trade, so that doesn't make much sense either (apparently they want to preserve cap space and keep Smith on roster, both to lure D12 in the offseason).

I'm just not sure what other team(s) could be brought in to give Toronto a reason to pull the trigger on a deal like this.
                            I think thats the most obvious need for the Raps right now, and even the 29 other GMs in the league know that the Raps are desperate for a legit SF. Im fairly sure BC has been working the phones to get a Gay/Iguodala/Granger calibre SF here but of course, if gas is scarce, gas stations are going to hike the price up.

I think BC should do this trade. Get the team to win a couple of games to mask the need, downplay the need then try to work a trade for an SF. IMO, Gasol is a definite improvement over Bargnani. If JV was already playing to his potential, then Bargnani would be the perfect compliment to him, but right now, they still need that interior presence that Gasol can definitely provide.

With Calderon, he is playing good and helping the team, but i think he's making it hard for Lowry to play his actual game. Not by fault of his own, but because Casey feels the need to give Calderon heavy minutes since he is orchestrating the offense well. Id rather put the ball in Lowry's hands and get him to work the offense.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                              There is ZERO reason to trade bargnani "just to get out from under his contract". We can do that as we like with the Amnesty clause (at least for cap purposes). Therefore if we're going to trade Barg we won't be taking back any bad contracts or bad players.
                              I for one am not in favor of trading Bargnani to get away from his contract, im in favor of trading bargnani to get away from him, period. If there's a better deal that Colangelo can get for Bargnani than Gasol, then go for it. But if that is one of the very few, I'd take it. Contract wise, Gasol will be an expiring next year, which could be a good trade bait. Even at 32, Gasol is no lame duck. On a team like the Raps, easy 20-10. Would be a good mentor for JV, and not locker cancer.

I dont get the reasoning behind "reasonable contract" when it comes to Bargnani, even if he's paid $20 per hour, if his play is not resulting in wins, why deliriously hang on to a "reasonable contract"?

Comment

thegloveinrapsuniform wrote: View Post
                                i for one am not in favor of trading bargnani to get away from his contract, im in favor of trading bargnani to get away from him, period. If there's a better deal that colangelo can get for bargnani than gasol, then go for it. But if that is one of the very few, i'd take it. Contract wise, gasol will be an expiring next year, which could be a good trade bait. Even at 32, gasol is no lame duck. On a team like the raps, easy 20-10. Would be a good mentor for jv, and not locker cancer.

I dont get the reasoning behind "reasonable contract" when it comes to bargnani, even if he's paid $20 per hour, if his play is not resulting in wins, why deliriously hang on to a "reasonable contract"?
                                plus one.

Comment

Working...
                                X