X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Comment

Speaking of guys nose deep in raptors brass' assholes - Leo is absolutely enraging. He literally just went on a 5 minute diatribe about how the thin air really affects the raps yet doesn't mention the fact the team is playing like shit, especially Bargs who appears to just stand around on defense. I want to punch everything.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm pretty sick of Doug Smith making excuses for everything and acting like this team is always headed in the right direction. I used to read it to give me some reassurance on this team, but it's just a load of excuses that he passes on from the top to downplay everything. For once I'd like to see him have some actual input on this team.
            Last edited by koncept; Tue Dec 4, 2012, 04:41 AM.
            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

If you're looking for Doug Smith to rant about the team and validate your opinions every day, the sense of entitlement has reached an all time high. He provides his take on things, the way he sees fit, and repeatedly reminds people of how he views the sport, and why, to shed light on what he writes about. If you can't appreciate that take, because it doesn't match yours or the angst you feel, don't read it and stay in this sand box where you can find many to validate you.

Comment

I have not read his crap for a few years now... the only passion I see from Dougie is when he sprinkles his blog with CFL comments and national soccer, its obvious that he would rather be doing other things. Basketball and the fans of Toronto are the bane of his existence, in Dougies's mind its just a matter of time before someone notices how his talent is wasted on the raptors and promotes him to the leafs.

In the meantime, his epic knowledge must guide the poorly basketball cultured fans of Toronto. I mean where would we be without Doug Smith and his wisdom? (I feel he writes his pieces with a lot of scorn for the fans of this team, as if he is our avatar and must set us straight - think he needs to retire and write something he enjoys)
                Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

#firedougsmith

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    If you're looking for Doug Smith to rant about the team and validate your opinions every day, the sense of entitlement has reached an all time high. He provides his take on things, the way he sees fit, and repeatedly reminds people of how he views the sport, and why, to shed light on what he writes about. If you can't appreciate that take, because it doesn't match yours or the angst you feel, don't read it and stay in this sand box where you can find many to validate you.
                    Actually, this has nothing to do with me.

The Raptors have been awful for 5 years and show no signs of improvement after all the talk of improvement and acceleration heard over the summer.

It seems numerous reporters (Koreen, Chisholm, Kelly, Cox, CBC guy, Grange) are all noticing this team is in fact bad and has been for quite some time. I have certainly ranted in this post on Smith but my points on the state of the Raptors are very logical and backed by the most important statistic of all: wins and losses over the last 5 years. Smith should get a job with Raptors PR.

p.s. nice of you to bring the sandbox in from the main page. I noticed you left remnants of waste that is often found on the main page. Please take the sandbox back to the main page on your way out.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                      Maybe you should leave this sandbox then, you stupid twat.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                        Maybe you should leave this sandbox then, you stupid twat.
                        Just relax and easy on the name calling. His opinion is as valid as yours.

Comment

Personally speaking, I quite enjoy Doug Smith. I don't read him with the expectation of insightful analysis, but rather I just enjoy his 'everyman' style of writing. I don't get all the anger directed at him or any other writer.

It would be like a woman reading those drugstore romance novels and then starting a #firetheauthor campaign because of shallow characters and ill conceived plots. Or somebody watching reality tv and starting a #cancelthisrealityshow campaign because of the lack of cutting edge investigative journalism worthy of a pulitzer prize.

You have to know the writer, know their audience and know their style/approach. It's all about tempering expectations going in.

Comment

Wouldn't you agree that the expectations of a fiction writer should be different than that of a news writer?

With the latter constantly telling us that "everything is ok", after 5 years of losing, his "opinion" seems less like news, and more like bold-faced lying.

News reporters shouldn't be lying to the public. I'm sure that's where the annoyance/anger stems from....
                            Last edited by Nilanka; Tue Dec 4, 2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I think lawn bowling would be a very good activity for Doug.

Would love to see the stars blog in the hands of a younger writer with a pulse and more passion for the team and market. Doug can be quite the dick to contrary opinion himself, so have no tears for the doughnut bandit.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Wouldn't you agree that the expectations of a fiction writer should be different than that of a news writer?

With the latter constantly telling us that "everything is ok", after 5 years of losing, his "opinion" seems less like news, and more like bold-faced lying.

News reporters shouldn't be lying to the public. I'm sure that's where the annoyance/anger stems from....
                                His stories always seem to be more opinion pieces to me, as opposed to a purely factual, unbiased report style. I do think that he actually feels/believes what he is saying to be true. It's not like everybody on RR is ever fully agreed on anything Raptors related, so I'm not sure there's a consensus to say that his opinion amounts to lying.

Yes he's overly optimistic and more forgiving than most. However, I could also say that a lot of passionate RR posters are extreme the other way, when compared to the average Raptors fan. That's the problem with opinions; there's no "right" or "wrong". Hell, even my opinion about opinions is bound to be called out by some for being wrong! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X