Once again, Dougie Smith bows down to Raps and says, "Yessir."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch game with sound off.

Read only direct quotes, and watch post game interviews.

I like the game enough that I can make sense of it just as well as a reporter.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      Yeah, but again, if you watched the Jays much toward the end of the season, Zaun, a Rogers employee, was giving it to the team. Calling out the owners, the GM, coaches, players, the minor leauge development of players, etc. Now, Zaun is a bit of a goof but he was giving his honest take on things, right or wrong. I don't like Zaun but I respected that he was saying what a lot of fans were thinking.

I simply can't imagine Leo or Jack doing the same and I think that speaks somewhat poorly of them.
      It could also be a matter of MLSE wanting the talk to remain positive and upbeat, in order to grow the NBA market in Canada. I'm not saying it's an excuse, but rather that it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I think Raptor fans should just ignore Doug Smith and he should just keep quiet. Thanks for all those hot tips and rumours Doug! Thanks for breaking all those stories, Doug! Thanks for asking the tough questions that need to be asked, Doug! Thanks for.... oh wait a minute, you don't do any of that.... Thanks for nothing, Doug!
        Instead of going on on a rant, have you thought of simply following your own advice and just ignore him?

But nooooooooo, there was this uncontrollable urge to tell Raptor fans how they should feel about Doug Smith's writing!

But, in serious tone, if venting allows you to calm down in real life, please do not hesitate! Finding balance is hard enough and this is a safe outlet.

Comment

Basketball is a team game. This is what I see:

The Raptors are failing to deliver on the culture change and the accountability statements from the start of the year.

DD, JV, and Ross are definitely positives on the season. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact the Raps are the 2nd worst team in the league.
          With so many new players, 2 rookies in the rotation, and injuries (especially the 2 on-going to our weakest position), I don't think the team success we see now is what we'll be seeing by the end of the season. This team wasn't going to be a finals contender this year. The GOAL of contending for playoffs wasn't some guarantee, simply a target, and despite the current record, we won't know if that's out of reach for some time yet. Stranger things have happened in the world of sport.

As for judging the team culture change and improvements, as they stand now, sure it looks rough now, but a reminder: even teams with several superstar future HOFers, like Miami a couple of years ago, and LAL now, have a tough time gelling with a radically different line-up. Hell, Lakers just lost to freaking Orlando, and scored a pathetic 77 points in a loss to Indiana. Do you think those games are going to represent that team by the end of the season? Patience is a crucial factor when trying to fit new pieces together.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
            With so many new players, 2 rookies in the rotation, and injuries (especially the 2 on-going to our weakest position), I don't think the team success we see now is what we'll be seeing by the end of the season. This team wasn't going to be a finals contender this year. The GOAL of contending for playoffs wasn't some guarantee, simply a target, and despite the current record, we won't know if that's out of reach for some time yet. Stranger things have happened in the world of sport.

As for judging the team culture change and improvements, as they stand now, sure it looks rough now, but a reminder: even teams with several superstar future HOFers, like Miami a couple of years ago, and LAL now, have a tough time gelling with a radically different line-up. Hell, Lakers just lost to freaking Orlando, and scored a pathetic 77 points in a loss to Indiana. Do you think those games are going to represent that team by the end of the season? Patience is a crucial factor when trying to fit new pieces together.
            After 7 years of Bargnani, patience has run out.

The Raptors are relying on him to be the #1 guy when he is not capable of that. Everything the Raptors have done for the last 3+ seasons has been about finding players to fit around Bargnani. Maybe, no definitely, it is time to go in separate directions.

Despite my doom and gloom, I don't think the Raptors are that far away from becoming a team like Denver or Utah - solid TEAMS lacking a superstar.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
              Instead of going on on a rant, have you thought of simply following your own advice and just ignore him?

But nooooooooo, there was this uncontrollable urge to tell Raptor fans how they should feel about Doug Smith's writing!

But, in serious tone, if venting allows you to calm down in real life, please do not hesitate! Finding balance is hard enough and this is a safe outlet.
              Yeah, I usually do ignore him. I accidentally clicked on his link from The Star sports section. My blood pressure went sky high.

I probably should have tied the second post I made in this thread in to the first one:

Just one point that might not have come through in my rant above:

At some point in time results matter.

7 years of Bargnani and it is time for results to matter.

7 years of Colangelo (and this will be 5 years missing out on the playoffs) and it is time for results to matter.

Last year there was a sense of pride in what was happening and the comments from opposing coaches and players. This year? Serious regression and back to league doormat.
              Also, not sure where I told fans how they should feel. The original post was asking questions of how those who are fed up should feel and the last paragraph ended with "I think....".

But yes, venting is important. I have RR and are you still doing the dog collar thing?

Comment

So let me get this straight.

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the possibility of this being the 5th season without a playoff appearance?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about being tied for 2nd last in the league through 17 games?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the endless and unfulfilled hyperbole spewed by Colangelo year in and year out? (flexibility, young guns, rebuild, build, acceleration, etc. etc.)

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the regression shown by the team this season?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the 7 years of misery with Bargnani and the revelation he is what he is - nothing more, nothing less?

I think Raptor fans should just ignore Doug Smith and he should just keep quiet. Thanks for all those hot tips and rumours Doug! Thanks for breaking all those stories, Doug! Thanks for asking the tough questions that need to be asked, Doug! Thanks for.... oh wait a minute, you don't do any of that.... Thanks for nothing, Doug!
                Doug is not a credible source of information.

Comment

So let me get this straight.

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the possibility of this being the 5th season without a playoff appearance?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about being tied for 2nd last in the league through 17 games?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the endless and unfulfilled hyperbole spewed by Colangelo year in and year out? (flexibility, young guns, rebuild, build, acceleration, etc. etc.)

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the regression shown by the team this season?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the 7 years of misery with Bargnani and the revelation he is what he is - nothing more, nothing less?

I think we shouldn't jus sit quiet, but it's he way we choose to say what changes need to be made. And from there it gets carried away, sometimes, by the fans. I see it, almost everyday.
                  The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                  Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                  www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                  http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

But yes, venting is important. I have RR and are you still doing the dog collar thing?
                    Yes; my patience and perseverance were well rewarded.

Comment

Not a fan of Doug Smith over the years. I have watched this team from the opening tip of the franchise, I can judge this team however I like Mr Smith. I think BC and company should feel the heat for how this is going this year, just like every GM of every sports franchise should be held accountable for the performance of the team they assembled. I haven't seen BC much since this went south. He would hang out by the entrance to the locker room early but is now probably in a bunker somewhere.

After 7 years of Bargs my patience has run dry. This kid doesn't get it full stop. I finally gave up on him after some reporter in a scrum asked him if his chemistry with JV was getting better and he said that he didn't need chemistry with JV because JV is not a PG. /facepalm.

Comment

Working...
                      X