How good can the Raptors be this year? - Beyond the Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good can the Raptors be this year? - Beyond the Numbers

Every article and blog post you read this year on the Raptors’ performance (especially in the last 20 games) will lead us to believe that this team is something special. Bosh is having a banner year, Bargnani is a year or two away from being an All-Star, Calderon and Jack are giving us Chris Paul production from the point and Torkoglu is finally coming around to proving he is worth the contract he signed in the summer time.
    Other encouraging signs are improved defense, better communication on the floor by players that have played less than a season together. Some of us are asking if we were too quick on judging Colangelo on his moves this summer and condemning the coach for a poor start…..
    I guess Toronto hoop fans have been waiting on any kind of success for so long and have lived with sub-par and mediocre performances from this team throughout the last 6 years (yes even the 2006-07 version of Raptors kept me asking for more after the loss to the Nets in the first round of the playoffs) that when this team starts performing above par everyone gets exited.
    Is 26-23 record something to be excited about? Is Chris Bosh banner year on a contract year something to be excited about? Is Jay Triano’s .447 winning % with 0 playoff experience and wins something to be excited about?
    What we all want is for the Raptors to have some continued success. Not just this year but for years to come. All successful franchises that have had winning seasons and long playoff runs have been together for a long time.

This is not the year to be excited about the Raptors… Another early exit in the playoffs is not considered success. Chris Bosh might or might not resign with the team. Either way I do not see him as the franchise player that is worth 20M+/year. He is an All-Star, yes. He is having a monster year, yes. He is carrying the team, yes. Where was this effort the previous two seasons? Is the effort going to be there the next three seasons?
    Even though the Raptors are playing great basketball the past 20 games there is something missing at this point. This team does not inspire confidence, especially after last night’s loss to the Pacers by 100 points (I like to exaggerate sometimes).
    Am I asking too much at this point? Probably yes. I just cannot stand mediocrity anymore…..

Raps are as promised by Colangelo.

A team with a shot at 50 wins, likely less. A shot at the 4/5 seed, unless Boston's injuries let Toronto take the Division again with 47 wins?

They need another high quality veteran to be better. (Thus all the trade talk)

I don't think Colangelo can take the mediocrity anymore either! (hoping)
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

How good can the Raptors be? They can make it to the second round depending on who they match up against. If they're matched up against Atlanta or Boston, they don't stand a chance. But call me crazy, I think they have a shot against Cleveland and Orlando. Toronto's bigs and bench are better than the Cavs. The only thing they can't stop is King James. As shown in years past, he can win a series by himself. As for the Magic, if Orlando is right and healthy, they should win the East no problem, but the Raps match up pretty nice with them.

Comment

How good can this roster be, this year? 1st round playoff exit, without too much fuss, unless they get to play Boston and Pierce's foot is actually broken. Even then, Perkins will eat our bigs alive.

Comment

Really the only thing this team doesn't have compared to the other elite teams in the east is experience playing togeather. The chemistry is still growing and players are still getting accustomed to their role in team, ie. jose and amir togeather off the bench. You still have young guys like sonny, amir and demar with a tremendous upside. Bosh hasn't even hit his prime, and Bargnani hopefully isn't close to his either.

With or without a trade we still have to see what reggie can bring to the team and wait for turk to start playing decent on the regular. The only person I would feel comfortable dumping right now is POB. Having depth at point guard is nothing but a good thing. People talking about trading Calderon are ridiculous. They don't remember last year i guess. The key to being a good team is having a solid bench, which is something we haven't had in a long time.

Triano has no real playoff experience, but everyone had to start somewhere. I doubt any coach in the NBA has had their offensive and defences sets perfectly adjusted within 1 year. He is getting better, there is better rotation and players are starting to come around to it. I think that this team will make some noise this year, even if they don't make it to the second round this year they aren't going to bend over and take it like they have in years past.

Comment

Working...
          X