Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

d749 wrote: View Post
    at this point i would love jj and bayless back
    Bayless has played well in Memphis, but Johnson has been horrible. Why would you want him back?

Comment

All last year it was "bayless needs to go. Jose is a real pg."

Now bayless plays on one of the strongest teams in the league, and is playing the exact same way as last year, and it's "wish we had him instead as backup." Amazing what playing with 3 potential all-stars can do compared to 1 and a couple players who bring it every now and then.

Comment

I see a couple of Guards who will be free agents this summer that would really improve the raps, Bayless is not one of them.

Comment

i never wanted bayless gone and he would have fit the role of jose better getting minutes at the 2 plus i loved jj and those 2 are the only ones missing from the team that now sucks at defense

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Our team would have been better using Amnesty or getting anything for Calderon in the off season and retaining Jerryd Bayless as our back up for Lowry?

Lowry/Bayless/JL3 ?

Say what you want about Bayless hes a selfish chucker but he was a guy that wanted to win. I think the 2nd unit struggles at times because Lowry and Calderon play very differently running the offense, if we want to be an up tempo team you need 2 up tempo PGs.
            I had the exact same thought, but hear me out.

Coach Casey loves to run the 2-point-guard lineup, Jose and Lowry haven't exactly been effective on the court, not to mention Lucas and Calderon have been even less effective. While, last season, Calderon and Bayless was very effective. Bayless is a good defender, gives up little size at the 2 being 6'4, 200+ pounds, and a solid off-ball scorer. Not to mention, financially cheaper in the near future, guaranteed 3-year, 4$ million dollar (correct if mistaken) contract compared to an expiring $10 million contract. Expiring 10$ million would have been the better, but thinking amnestying the contract, or trading for assets might have made the team better...

I felt, had we kept Bayless over Jose, and inserted Bayless into the starting lineup and ran a 2-point-guard lineup, it would go: Lowry, Bayless, Derozan, Bargnani, Valanciunas.

I wasn't the biggest Bayless supporter, but I give credit, where credit is due. He played solid for us, a little to frantic of a player though, was best as a shooting guard. Poor mans Russel Westbrook.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

So you want two chuckers as back up PGs? Also, don't forget Bayless was injury prone and Jose had to go 48 some games until Uzoh and Dentmon.

Jose gives a good pass first balance and is a good trade chip.

Imagine Lowry with his injury, and knowing Bayless could collapse at any moment...
              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                So you want two chuckers as back up PGs? Also, don't forget Bayless was injury prone and Jose had to go 48 some games until Uzoh and Dentmon.

Jose gives a good pass first balance and is a good trade chip.

Imagine Lowry with his injury, and knowing Bayless could collapse at any moment...
                Nope, I don't want two chuckers as back-up pg's. I only made the point to the fact it would better having Bayless > Calderon in subject to the 2-guard lineup Casey loves to run. Also, Calderon could be traded, amnestied etc. And we'd have the assets/finance to acquire another pass first point guard or young guard instead of Lucas. I'm making the point as if we are in the off-season, and we still have the choice between Bayless & Calderon, and Lucas hasn't been signed yet.

Overall though, I would no doubt Calderon > Bayless any day of the week. It was just a thought of mine.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I actualy think "selfish chucker" and "guy that wanted to win" are mutually exclusive traits, especially when describing a PG.

I prefer a backup PG to provide a change of pace from the starter, rather than be an exact replica in style.

The one thing that frustrates me about Lowry is when he goes into selfish mode and tries to do too much on his own, forgetting that he's the PG and that there's 4 other players on the court with him; what I refer to as "Bayless mode". I was overjoyed when BC let Bayless walk.
                  Keep in mind this "self-ish chucker" is now the backup point guard for currently the best team in the west.

We suck right now - plain and simple......as a fan of Bayless, i'm happy for him! As a Die Hard Raptors fan i'm still waiting for the day when we can actually compete for a play-off spot.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                    Keep in mind this "self-ish chucker" is now the backup point guard for currently the best team in the west.

We suck right now - plain and simple......as a fan of Bayless, i'm happy for him! As a Die Hard Raptors fan i'm still waiting for the day when we can actually compete for a play-off spot.
                    And? Please don't try to tell me that Memphis is the success that they are because of Bayless. They've been a top tier team in the West for a number of years.

On a personal level, I couldn't care less about Bayless. As a Raptors' fan, I'm glad he's gone, as he's not the type of player/person I want on this team or influencing our other young players (same goes for JJ - both were selfish, me-first players on and off the court).

Comment

I'm not a Bayless fan, but I've lobbied for him to stay.

Mainly because his "unpredictability" brings a different flow to the game. With Calderon, you know he's either going to pass to Bargnani, or wait for Demar to curl, or wait for the pick and roll with Amir. On D, you know he's either going to clap on the jumpshot, or let his man blow by him and wait for the help D. Predictable. Plays too safe. Rondo is averaging 3.3 TOs a game, and D.Will at 3. Elite point guards take risks and gambles.

Bayless will drive, shoot, drop pass, kickout, take the three and on D, he'll chase, go for the block, put his body on the line. And in crunch time, you know he is not afraid to take that last shot. i think with proper coaching, like what he's getting now in Memphis, he can mellow down and not be too much of a risk taker.

I dont see why he is labeled as a "chucker". compared to Jose, maybe. But he averaged 9 shots in 22 mins his last season in toronto, and 8 shots in 22mins the season before. Bledsoe is averaging 9 shots in 18 mins this season and E'Twauan Moore, 9 shots in 25mins. When he started in place of Calderon, he probably averaged 12-15 shots a game per 35 mins. Seems like the average production from starting guards around the league.

Comment

Working...
                      X