View Poll Results: With missing the playoffs a near certainly, what should be focus of rest of season?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way, man! We are totally going to make the playoffs!

    3 6.52%
  • Tank! Tank! Tank some more!

    5 10.87%
  • Focus on addition by subtraction (#tradeBagnani)

    17 36.96%
  • Bring back the culture change!

    15 32.61%
  • Other (post in comments)

    6 13.04%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: With playoffs nearly out of the question, what should be focus for remainder of year?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default With playoffs nearly out of the question, what should be focus for remainder of year?

    **Hat tip to moutio for inspiring thread**

    With the playoffs a near certainly to be missed, what do you think the focus for the remainder of the season should be?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But Doug Smith says to wait another 40 games before we jump to any conclusions

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote koncept wrote: View Post
    But Doug Smith says to wait another 40 games before we jump to any conclusions
    lol, please tell me you're exaggerating...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote koncept wrote: View Post
    But Doug Smith says to wait another 40 games before we jump to any conclusions



    .
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie IamNotAmirJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Haaa - when we're 4 and 54 he'll write that we're right on course, what's all the panic about???

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote IamNotAmirJohnson wrote: View Post
    Haaa - when we're 4 and 54 he'll write that we're right on course, what's all the panic about???
    I hope your not they bash him on here like its his fault we overpaid for his inconstancy, i guess in our fan base minds he should of told his agent and gm they are offering him to much. bahahah just like the general public does when they get pay raises(i think our company would profit more if i took less money). anyways cant blame the players as long as there giving effort which im sure you all know is hard to do on a terrible team

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Other

    The focus for the rest o the season should be to develop the youngsters while putting together a package of Jose, Bargs and Amir for an impact type player.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Play to the best of their ability with my vote go back to our culture change, continue developing Ross and JV so they are a lot more comfortable next season.

    I would love to see Ed start and have Bargnani play off the bench but I doubt that will ever happen...

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Matt, I didn't see psychedelic drugs anywhere on your list...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Matt, I didn't see psychedelic drugs anywhere on your list...
    "Other (post in comments)"

    I think you just selected other, Nilanka!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    "Other (post in comments)"

    I think you just selected other, Nilanka!
    lol, touché.

    Cocaine's a helluva drug....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would love to see Bargnani traded, but even if that happens the team needs to play like they did last year. I want a slow grind to a finish with a top 10 defensive effort to show for it. That is what I enjoyed most about last year even though we lost a lot of games.

    Casey - please just give us 5 games of hard nosed defense in a row. Who gives a damn if we lose, just stop the other team from getting such easy baskets!

  13. #13
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I voted 'Other'.

    I think the focus of the rest of this year should be what I felt the focus of this entire season (and last season) should have been; develop the young players (either to be future Raptors or to drive up trade value), determine which players are going to be part of the long-term core and then use every asset available (ie: players who won't be part of that long-term core & 4 x 2nd round picks: TOR-13, TOR-14, SAC-14, TOR-15) to improve the team with the future in mind.

    I don't consider this to be tanking, because it will likely result in the team's 2013 1st round pick being traded to OKC (via Houston), to finalize the Lowry deal. Tanking is typically to improve your standing for the upcoming draft. Plus, by giving more playing time to players like Ross & Davis and less to players like Anderson & Gray & Pietrus, this team could actually wind up being better than they have been! haha

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I voted 'Other'.

    I think the focus of the rest of this year should be what I felt the focus of this entire season (and last season) should have been; develop the young players (either to be future Raptors or to drive up trade value), determine which players are going to be part of the long-term core and then use every asset available (ie: players who won't be part of that long-term core & 4 x 2nd round picks: TOR-13, TOR-14, SAC-14, TOR-15) to improve the team with the future in mind.

    I don't consider this to be tanking, because it will likely result in the team's 2013 1st round pick being traded to OKC (via Houston), to finalize the Lowry deal. Tanking is typically to improve your standing for the upcoming draft. Plus, by giving more playing time to players like Ross & Davis and less to players like Anderson & Gray & Pietrus, this team could actually wind up being better than they have been! haha
    I would agree with giving the young guys more minutes, but that's not our coaches m.o. Casey loves his vets, and will give his vets more playing time. Since that appears to be inevitable I would prefer for him to go back to the way they played last season. It also seemed to inspire Bargnani more and that alone might net us some wins to help us move down the draft ladder so that OKC gets a crappier pick.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I would agree with giving the young guys more minutes, but that's not our coaches m.o. Casey loves his vets, and will give his vets more playing time. Since that appears to be inevitable I would prefer for him to go back to the way they played last season. It also seemed to inspire Bargnani more and that alone might net us some wins to help us move down the draft ladder so that OKC gets a crappier pick.
    Further evidence that BC moved from rebuilding to building to competing for playoffs way too quickly. He might have been better bringing in a coach to replace Triano who was known for being able to develop and get the most out of young players, which would have been a better fit for a properly rebuilding franchise.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Further evidence that BC moved from rebuilding to building to competing for playoffs way too quickly. He might have been better bringing in a coach to replace Triano who was known for being able to develop and get the most out of young players, which would have been a better fit for a properly rebuilding franchise.
    Oh yeah, and I don't agree with this. Casey's coaching is not the problem. Speaking from nearly 10 years of experience, as a coach, all you can do is tell your players where to be and try to put them in the right position. The rest is all effort and concentration. Even though some of his rotations have been questionable, I think that there is clearly a lack of consistent focus from the players

    our problem I think is between the players. I think that there is beef. Andrea thinks he should be shooting, derozan thinks he should be shooting and so does lowry. There is no chemistry there and I think that needs to be solved.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    Oh yeah, and I don't agree with this. Casey's coaching is not the problem. Speaking from nearly 10 years of experience, as a coach, all you can do is tell your players where to be and try to put them in the right position. The rest is all effort and concentration. Even though some of his rotations have been questionable, I think that there is clearly a lack of consistent focus from the players

    our problem I think is between the players. I think that there is beef. Andrea thinks he should be shooting, derozan thinks he should be shooting and so does lowry. There is no chemistry there and I think that needs to be solved.
    I wasn't blaming the coaching at all. I was just floating the question that if we were/are a team in rebuilding/building mode, wouldn't it have been more beneficial for the long-term to have brought in a coach who was proven to be successful in developing young players? If Casey has a preference for veteran players, that would seem to be a poor idealogical fit with a rebuilding/building team that is all about growing a young core for the future.

    And if it was a poor fit, the blame would fall on BC, not Casey.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I would agree with giving the young guys more minutes, but that's not our coaches m.o. Casey loves his vets, and will give his vets more playing time. Since that appears to be inevitable I would prefer for him to go back to the way they played last season. It also seemed to inspire Bargnani more and that alone might net us some wins to help us move down the draft ladder so that OKC gets a crappier pick.
    This is the definition of the problem!! Its not our coaches m.o.? What the hell should any raptors fan care about our coaches m.o.? If "his" way of "positive experiences" for the young guys was getting us wins, then I might have a little more sympathy for it. But it has failed miserably. Its time for DC to adapt to the situation that is in front of him or get the hell outa here.

    TRoss, Ed Davis and JV should be gettnig major minutes. It doesnt mean we shouldnt hold them accountable when they arent working hard or playing well .. but it does mean we should be giving them every opportunity to succeed (or fail as the case may be).

    Casey's old school "vets" mentaility is garbage. Its totally fine if you are coaching the Knicks this year or Dallas when he was there .. but makes absolutely no sense for the raps.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I voted 'Other'.

    I think the focus of the rest of this year should be what I felt the focus of this entire season (and last season) should have been; develop the young players (either to be future Raptors or to drive up trade value), determine which players are going to be part of the long-term core and then use every asset available (ie: players who won't be part of that long-term core & 4 x 2nd round picks: TOR-13, TOR-14, SAC-14, TOR-15) to improve the team with the future in mind.

    I don't consider this to be tanking, because it will likely result in the team's 2013 1st round pick being traded to OKC (via Houston), to finalize the Lowry deal. Tanking is typically to improve your standing for the upcoming draft. Plus, by giving more playing time to players like Ross & Davis and less to players like Anderson & Gray & Pietrus, this team could actually wind up being better than they have been! haha
    I think we are on same page (perhaps outside of "terminology". Ive been screaming on these boards for T Ross to get more time from day one. It was SOOOO clear that AA, D Mac (even LF and MP) arent half as talented as T Ross .. so lets play him and see what hes got. Casey is (finally) starting to a little bit.

    Same goes for JV. Lets give him some looks in the post, see what he can do. When weve done this, hes actually been pretty damn good. No Aaron Gray. No AA. MP only in small spurts. No JC for 30+ minutes

    To me, this goes one of two ways. 1) We lose even more (is this possible??) - and actually have a legit shot at a top 3 pick or 2) we realize that our young guys are actually our best players and we make a bit of a run, setting up the nucleus for next year.

    One other note .. people seem to be morally offended by giving OKC the 4th pick vs the 14th pick. From our perspective - the outcome is identical. We lose the pick and get our pick for next year. As a result, wouldnt you rather be in the bottom five with a legit shot at a top 3 pick? I know its not a great draft .. but a top 3 pick is still a top 3 pick. And .. I sure as hell hope we arent in contention for another top 3 pick next year. Ya, the draft is better .. but holy shit, that will mean a lot of bad ball over the next 2 years ..

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I voted for other, but only because I want a combination of Option 3 and 4

    I really want Andrea gone for the purpose of committing to the defensive culture. Likewise, I want Jose gone as well but his expiring contract might prove some value. Of course, it probably would be useless anyway because we have BC as the GM.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •