View Poll Results: With missing the playoffs a near certainly, what should be focus of rest of season?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way, man! We are totally going to make the playoffs!

3 6.52%
  • Tank! Tank! Tank some more!

5 10.87%
  • Focus on addition by subtraction (#tradeBagnani)

17 36.96%
  • Bring back the culture change!

15 32.61%
  • Other (post in comments)

6 13.04%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: With playoffs nearly out of the question, what should be focus for remainder of year?

Post Thanks / Like

Play hard and try to win games. Actually, I guess that should always be the goal for every sports team, for like ever. But, I guess, for arguments sake, the "culture change" thingy.

Raptors Republic Starter DunkinDerozan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Other,,,

Trade for a small forward who is above dleague material

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand how none of you understand that there is no such thing as a re-build, i've been reading this site for years wondering when someone will put the pieces together. no historically winning team gets anywhere with this re-build idea. ie. lakers celtics, spurs. what it takes preferable destination teams to get back to winning at a high level should not take a team more then a year or two. when you here any team talking about a re build all it means is the owners not paying for a good team, yet will still profit. Teams with cheap owners get their GMs to say this to the public, to calm down the reaction of their fan base. this allows a fan to say ya we suck but were rebuilding so ill keep cheering my team on. The reality of the current state of the raptors is that we were owned by the teachers, bottom line profit. now we are owned by two massive company's who are willing to throw advertising money into the raptors players and still reap the rewards for their all ready thriving company's. thus benefiting the raptors organisation over all. imo we will not see any of these rewards for at least 2 maybe 3 more seasons because of the state of the team our current GM has us in. Bell/rogers will put money into the raptors but not untill the time is right. bc will be gone nest year, we will tank next year and land wiggins in the draft, then we need a payroll of at least 80 million worth of players around him including and all star and a ex all star along with 2 or 3 vets who can still play +/- basketball for a good 15 - 20 min a game.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The focus this year should be to win as many games as possible and get into this culture change thing. Tanking would be silly, we don't have our pick unless we tank in the extreme and get lucky plus we already have a whole throng of young players who need to develop. So let's just try to actually win, see where we are in need of improvement and try to get better next year. We already have a lot of young talented players and so far we have been in almost every game we've played, it's now a matter of teaching our guys how to win games down the stretch and make winning plays.

I'm personnally watching Demar Derozen this year, he is scoring way more efficiently this year and as much as some people like the say he is getting no calls, he is getting to the line 5.2 times per game, which is good for 15th in the league: to put that in perspective Dwayne Wade is 14th. Coincidentally Lowry is 11th on that list which puts us in with the Lakers, the Heat, and the Thunder as the only teams with 2 or more players in the top 15.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope the team stays they same, and we keep losing close games after the season ends lets just pray we fall between 4 and 14 so we can get that monkey off our backs ( our pick to okc ) once we are approaching the trade deadline trade bargs and jose for picks but not 2013 draft we want 2014 draft picks, try to get rid of LK. next season let DD, JV and KL ED and and Ross start tank the season and i mean tank lets get less then 10 wins, then draft(2014) wiggins and trade the 2014 picks (bargs and jose) and cash and player for a FA all star on a team that has one year left on his contract and the team he is currently on is worried he will walk and they get nothing, and fill the rest with vets. This is how you construct a good team. you do not try to develop more then one young asset at a time.

Raptors Republic Rookie IamNotAmirJohnson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Haaa - when we're 4 and 54 he'll write that we're right on course, what's all the panic about???

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote IamNotAmirJohnson wrote: View Post
    Haaa - when we're 4 and 54 he'll write that we're right on course, what's all the panic about???
    I hope your not they bash him on here like its his fault we overpaid for his inconstancy, i guess in our fan base minds he should of told his agent and gm they are offering him to much. bahahah just like the general public does when they get pay raises(i think our company would profit more if i took less money). anyways cant blame the players as long as there giving effort which im sure you all know is hard to do on a terrible team

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

9th, so OKC gets a late pick

BTW Matt, what's with all of these negative threads? Loosen up a little.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    9th, so OKC gets a late pick

BTW Matt, what's with all of these negative threads? Loosen up a little.
    I'll try.

But unless the Raps win over 60% of their remaining games, they aren't making the playoffs.

The final 64 games can't go to waste! I actually thought that was kind of optimistic
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

The focus should be on cleaning house so the new GM can have as clean a slate as possible. Start with the GM and his entire crew, the scouting department and work your way down to the coaching staff. In effect, anyone in management and any coach or other staff that was there pre-Casey: automatically fired. Best scout in the world? Awesome. Colangelo hired you? Fired. Your things are in a box in the alley. Here's the buyout. Good luck!

Take Wayne Embry, give him a million bucks to be the interim GM and tell him to unload salary and players like he did in 2006. Bag of balls for Landry Fields? Done. Case of Coke Zero for Bargnani? Excellent. Done. Starbucks giftcard for Amir? Perfect, done. Kleiza? Waived. Bought out. Whatever. Buy them all out. Start over. Do what you shoudl have done 3 years ago if you'd have had real owners.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Other

The focus for the rest o the season should be to develop the youngsters while putting together a package of Jose, Bargs and Amir for an impact type player.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I don't think Jose Bargs and Amir will get you an impact player so I would settle for a physical PF like Milsap or Jefferson.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I chose trying to go back to the culture of last season, to do that, Coach Casey has a couple things to do:

1. Hold guys accountable: He's had quite the short leash (in terms of last season), on putting guys on their asses if they aren't going to perform at the effort they should be. Those guys included Calderon, Derozan, Bargnani. Our main guys last season. Now, it's not nearly the same. Coach Casey has Bargnani through "hell or high water", which quite frankly may be a good or bad message. Yes, players gain the confidence of their coaches, but how long can you tolerate a player going 2-19, and playing below average defense (as usual)? He's got to start going back to the "hot hand". Also, he's been inconsistent, one day he'll say "we kept Amir over Jonas, because Amir was the hot hand," or he'll go to say "Bargnani is our guy, no matter what the circumstances."

2. Go back to playing 'grind-it-out' basketball, and protecting the paint: Coach Casey came into the season, with no doubt a better, more capable team on both ends of the floor, although specifically, upgraded offensively. The one thing I believe he did wrong throughout this entire process of "accelerated rebuild", is ASSUMING the team has already inherited the defensive, 'pound-the-rock' culture. I felt he didn't do a great job of that, because of the fact you had key players last season (Bayless, James Johnson, Barbosa, Forbes, etc.) all gone. You built a culture on a team that, quite frankly had no future with the organization, now left with below average defenders, or solid AT BEST. (Derozan {Solid defender}, Bargnani, Calderon). Not to mention, trying to create a team that will play up-tempo, which they haven't been successful in at ALL (looking back at Triano's years), and how successful has a run-and-gun offense been without coaches named George Karl, Mike D'antoni, or players named Steve Nash?...

3. Be CONSISTENT: I feel he's gone frantic and crazy all over the place, with the rotations so far this season. A 2-point-guard lineup, playing 12 guys, not playing your key guys at the end of games, keeping an ineffective rotation out for an extended period of time. All of these things have hurt the team. The best teams in the league have depth, but the best teams in the league are disciplined in their rotations, and minutes passed out to their guys. Jonas Valanciunas MUST be playing in the 4th quarter - unless of course he has fouled out, or having a poor performance - Bargnani, Calderon, Derozan must be sitting if they are not producing or giving the effort on either end. Create a 9-man rotation, that you believe is most effective for a team to be successful in a game. Try to mix-and-match lineups so they aren't totally liable offensively, or defensively. A lot of this goes back to holding players accountable.

Just a couple of opinions of mine, and I know for a fact, that I'm not the only who's observed some different coaching from Casey & co. from last season, to present. It's time for a shake-up as well, with guys hurting the overall environment of the team, it's best bet to try and get young assets, and guys who will play hard every night on this team, instead of trying to do things faster, and having loyalty on a guy, who quite honestly is doing much for you.

#FireBC #TradeBargnani #FreeEdDavis

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

we are in such a f-up situation how do we even know if bc is as bad as he looks, i was looking up how much money he was allowed to spend for the suns compared to what hes allowed to with the raps, and just as i thought in his tenure in toronto shows he has been trying to make a winning team while spending alot less money(and im sure this was not his decision to make) ill say this thou im in sales myself and if my boss told me i had to perform at the same rate of sales while cutting my budget by millions im not sure what i would do...... thank god we have new owners..... should only take a couple years to right the ship..... in this reseach i happened to notice some thing, steve nash has been grossly underpaid for the last ten years wow look it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'll try.

But unless the Raps win over 60% of their remaining games, they aren't making the playoffs.

The final 64 games can't go to waste! I actually thought that was kind of optimistic

Yea, we all understand they aren't making the playoffs, but making so many threads about it isn't the solution.

Gotta ride with it and hope for a crappy pick to OKC and some FO changes.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

what was the goal for this year? lose to the better teams, beat the worse teams, split the middle teams. wind up close to .500 and fight for a playoff spot while creating a team out of guys who had just met. Lose to better teams? brooklyn, boston, dallas, okc, utah, denver, san antonio etc.....check. Fight against the middle teams? Split with indy, lost both to philly, beat minny....check. Beat the worse teams? beat suns & magic, lost to charlotte and detroit by a total of 2 pts. So far all is going to plan. Well, we did lose to half the teams we were supposed to beat but if you're going to say the evaluation of a season in progress can be judged by two one point controversial losses...go ahead. I won't. We may be on our way to a lost season, we just haven't played enough bad teams to make me see that yet. Think of the Denver game as a metaphor for the season. Don't go to bed at halftime. i guess that puts me part option 1 and part option 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Think of the Denver game as a metaphor for the season. Don't go to bed at halftime.
    Good point. +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    Yea, we all understand they aren't making the playoffs, but making so many threads about it isn't the solution.

Gotta ride with it and hope for a crappy pick to OKC and some FO changes.
    There was an opportunity to select make the playoffs or 'other' and make it what you want. Anyone is free to post whatever they want - negative or positive.

I thought the thread was a good idea. Guess not. Sorry for attempting meaningful conversation on what looks like a lost season at the moment.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

calderon,bargnani, and derozan need to go. We have 4 capable starers in lowry,ross,jv and ed.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I voted 'Other'.

I think the focus of the rest of this year should be what I felt the focus of this entire season (and last season) should have been; develop the young players (either to be future Raptors or to drive up trade value), determine which players are going to be part of the long-term core and then use every asset available (ie: players who won't be part of that long-term core & 4 x 2nd round picks: TOR-13, TOR-14, SAC-14, TOR-15) to improve the team with the future in mind.

I don't consider this to be tanking, because it will likely result in the team's 2013 1st round pick being traded to OKC (via Houston), to finalize the Lowry deal. Tanking is typically to improve your standing for the upcoming draft. Plus, by giving more playing time to players like Ross & Davis and less to players like Anderson & Gray & Pietrus, this team could actually wind up being better than they have been! haha
    I think we are on same page (perhaps outside of "terminology". Ive been screaming on these boards for T Ross to get more time from day one. It was SOOOO clear that AA, D Mac (even LF and MP) arent half as talented as T Ross .. so lets play him and see what hes got. Casey is (finally) starting to a little bit.

Same goes for JV. Lets give him some looks in the post, see what he can do. When weve done this, hes actually been pretty damn good. No Aaron Gray. No AA. MP only in small spurts. No JC for 30+ minutes

To me, this goes one of two ways. 1) We lose even more (is this possible??) - and actually have a legit shot at a top 3 pick or 2) we realize that our young guys are actually our best players and we make a bit of a run, setting up the nucleus for next year.

One other note .. people seem to be morally offended by giving OKC the 4th pick vs the 14th pick. From our perspective - the outcome is identical. We lose the pick and get our pick for next year. As a result, wouldnt you rather be in the bottom five with a legit shot at a top 3 pick? I know its not a great draft .. but a top 3 pick is still a top 3 pick. And .. I sure as hell hope we arent in contention for another top 3 pick next year. Ya, the draft is better .. but holy shit, that will mean a lot of bad ball over the next 2 years ..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information