Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With playoffs nearly out of the question, what should be focus for remainder of year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other

The focus for the rest o the season should be to develop the youngsters while putting together a package of Jose, Bargs and Amir for an impact type player.

Comment

Actually, I don't think Jose Bargs and Amir will get you an impact player so I would settle for a physical PF like Milsap or Jefferson.

Comment

I chose trying to go back to the culture of last season, to do that, Coach Casey has a couple things to do:

1. Hold guys accountable: He's had quite the short leash (in terms of last season), on putting guys on their asses if they aren't going to perform at the effort they should be. Those guys included Calderon, Derozan, Bargnani. Our main guys last season. Now, it's not nearly the same. Coach Casey has Bargnani through "hell or high water", which quite frankly may be a good or bad message. Yes, players gain the confidence of their coaches, but how long can you tolerate a player going 2-19, and playing below average defense (as usual)? He's got to start going back to the "hot hand". Also, he's been inconsistent, one day he'll say "we kept Amir over Jonas, because Amir was the hot hand," or he'll go to say "Bargnani is our guy, no matter what the circumstances."

2. Go back to playing 'grind-it-out' basketball, and protecting the paint: Coach Casey came into the season, with no doubt a better, more capable team on both ends of the floor, although specifically, upgraded offensively. The one thing I believe he did wrong throughout this entire process of "accelerated rebuild", is ASSUMING the team has already inherited the defensive, 'pound-the-rock' culture. I felt he didn't do a great job of that, because of the fact you had key players last season (Bayless, James Johnson, Barbosa, Forbes, etc.) all gone. You built a culture on a team that, quite frankly had no future with the organization, now left with below average defenders, or solid AT BEST. (Derozan {Solid defender}, Bargnani, Calderon). Not to mention, trying to create a team that will play up-tempo, which they haven't been successful in at ALL (looking back at Triano's years), and how successful has a run-and-gun offense been without coaches named George Karl, Mike D'antoni, or players named Steve Nash?...

3. Be CONSISTENT: I feel he's gone frantic and crazy all over the place, with the rotations so far this season. A 2-point-guard lineup, playing 12 guys, not playing your key guys at the end of games, keeping an ineffective rotation out for an extended period of time. All of these things have hurt the team. The best teams in the league have depth, but the best teams in the league are disciplined in their rotations, and minutes passed out to their guys. Jonas Valanciunas MUST be playing in the 4th quarter - unless of course he has fouled out, or having a poor performance - Bargnani, Calderon, Derozan must be sitting if they are not producing or giving the effort on either end. Create a 9-man rotation, that you believe is most effective for a team to be successful in a game. Try to mix-and-match lineups so they aren't totally liable offensively, or defensively. A lot of this goes back to holding players accountable.

Just a couple of opinions of mine, and I know for a fact, that I'm not the only who's observed some different coaching from Casey & co. from last season, to present. It's time for a shake-up as well, with guys hurting the overall environment of the team, it's best bet to try and get young assets, and guys who will play hard every night on this team, instead of trying to do things faster, and having loyalty on a guy, who quite honestly is doing much for you.

#FireBC #TradeBargnani #FreeEdDavis
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

we are in such a f-up situation how do we even know if bc is as bad as he looks, i was looking up how much money he was allowed to spend for the suns compared to what hes allowed to with the raps, and just as i thought in his tenure in toronto shows he has been trying to make a winning team while spending alot less money(and im sure this was not his decision to make) ill say this thou im in sales myself and if my boss told me i had to perform at the same rate of sales while cutting my budget by millions im not sure what i would do...... thank god we have new owners..... should only take a couple years to right the ship..... in this reseach i happened to notice some thing, steve nash has been grossly underpaid for the last ten years wow look it up.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I'll try.

But unless the Raps win over 60% of their remaining games, they aren't making the playoffs.

The final 64 games can't go to waste! I actually thought that was kind of optimistic

Yea, we all understand they aren't making the playoffs, but making so many threads about it isn't the solution.

Gotta ride with it and hope for a crappy pick to OKC and some FO changes.
            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

what was the goal for this year? lose to the better teams, beat the worse teams, split the middle teams. wind up close to .500 and fight for a playoff spot while creating a team out of guys who had just met. Lose to better teams? brooklyn, boston, dallas, okc, utah, denver, san antonio etc.....check. Fight against the middle teams? Split with indy, lost both to philly, beat minny....check. Beat the worse teams? beat suns & magic, lost to charlotte and detroit by a total of 2 pts. So far all is going to plan. Well, we did lose to half the teams we were supposed to beat but if you're going to say the evaluation of a season in progress can be judged by two one point controversial losses...go ahead. I won't. We may be on our way to a lost season, we just haven't played enough bad teams to make me see that yet. Think of the Denver game as a metaphor for the season. Don't go to bed at halftime. i guess that puts me part option 1 and part option 5.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                Think of the Denver game as a metaphor for the season. Don't go to bed at halftime.
                Good point. +1
                TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                  Yea, we all understand they aren't making the playoffs, but making so many threads about it isn't the solution.

Gotta ride with it and hope for a crappy pick to OKC and some FO changes.
                  There was an opportunity to select make the playoffs or 'other' and make it what you want. Anyone is free to post whatever they want - negative or positive.

I thought the thread was a good idea. Guess not. Sorry for attempting meaningful conversation on what looks like a lost season at the moment.

Comment

calderon,bargnani, and derozan need to go. We have 4 capable starers in lowry,ross,jv and ed.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I voted 'Other'.

I think the focus of the rest of this year should be what I felt the focus of this entire season (and last season) should have been; develop the young players (either to be future Raptors or to drive up trade value), determine which players are going to be part of the long-term core and then use every asset available (ie: players who won't be part of that long-term core & 4 x 2nd round picks: TOR-13, TOR-14, SAC-14, TOR-15) to improve the team with the future in mind.

I don't consider this to be tanking, because it will likely result in the team's 2013 1st round pick being traded to OKC (via Houston), to finalize the Lowry deal. Tanking is typically to improve your standing for the upcoming draft. Plus, by giving more playing time to players like Ross & Davis and less to players like Anderson & Gray & Pietrus, this team could actually wind up being better than they have been! haha
                      I think we are on same page (perhaps outside of "terminology". Ive been screaming on these boards for T Ross to get more time from day one. It was SOOOO clear that AA, D Mac (even LF and MP) arent half as talented as T Ross .. so lets play him and see what hes got. Casey is (finally) starting to a little bit.

Same goes for JV. Lets give him some looks in the post, see what he can do. When weve done this, hes actually been pretty damn good. No Aaron Gray. No AA. MP only in small spurts. No JC for 30+ minutes

To me, this goes one of two ways. 1) We lose even more (is this possible??) - and actually have a legit shot at a top 3 pick or 2) we realize that our young guys are actually our best players and we make a bit of a run, setting up the nucleus for next year.

One other note .. people seem to be morally offended by giving OKC the 4th pick vs the 14th pick. From our perspective - the outcome is identical. We lose the pick and get our pick for next year. As a result, wouldnt you rather be in the bottom five with a legit shot at a top 3 pick? I know its not a great draft .. but a top 3 pick is still a top 3 pick. And .. I sure as hell hope we arent in contention for another top 3 pick next year. Ya, the draft is better .. but holy shit, that will mean a lot of bad ball over the next 2 years ..

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                        calderon,bargnani, and derozan need to go. We have 4 capable starers in lowry,ross,jv and ed.
                        And DeRozan? have you been watching his play lately? lets place blame where its deserved you may not like DeRozan but hes playing real solid lately. I guess people are just dammed if they don't dammed if they do right? "***"

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          And DeRozan? have you been watching his play lately? lets place blame where its deserved you may not like DeRozan but hes playing real solid lately. I guess people are just dammed if they don't dammed if they do right? "***"
                          He has been playing solid lately (for DeRozan's standards), but he's still a below average shooter, ball-handler and defender.

If a SG is to be labelled as part of our "core" going forward (who isn't a lights-out scorer), I would ideally like someone who contributes more across the board. Otherwise, I see DeRozan as an expendable piece.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I would agree with giving the young guys more minutes, but that's not our coaches m.o. Casey loves his vets, and will give his vets more playing time. Since that appears to be inevitable I would prefer for him to go back to the way they played last season. It also seemed to inspire Bargnani more and that alone might net us some wins to help us move down the draft ladder so that OKC gets a crappier pick.
                            This is the definition of the problem!! Its not our coaches m.o.? What the hell should any raptors fan care about our coaches m.o.? If "his" way of "positive experiences" for the young guys was getting us wins, then I might have a little more sympathy for it. But it has failed miserably. Its time for DC to adapt to the situation that is in front of him or get the hell outa here.

TRoss, Ed Davis and JV should be gettnig major minutes. It doesnt mean we shouldnt hold them accountable when they arent working hard or playing well .. but it does mean we should be giving them every opportunity to succeed (or fail as the case may be).

Casey's old school "vets" mentaility is garbage. Its totally fine if you are coaching the Knicks this year or Dallas when he was there .. but makes absolutely no sense for the raps.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              He has been playing solid lately (for DeRozan's standards), but he's still a below average shooter, ball-handler and defender.

If a SG is to be labelled as part of our "core" going forward (who isn't a lights-out scorer), I would ideally like someone who contributes more across the board. Otherwise, I see DeRozan as an expendable piece.
                              I don't understand... I believe his ball-handling, defense, and shooting OVERALL has improved this season. Not to mention he's been rebounding the ball at a good rate, expanded his game to finding the open man, getting out defensively in the passing lanes. Derozan standards? Is that some sort of rating for a player you think is poor? I definitely feel he is one of the better wing players this season, and key word, is he's been CONSISTENT. Much more consistent than last year by far.

He's been contributing pretty damn well across the board this season. I don't think picking one-by-one their weaknesses would make any player look appealing... You can basically do it to every, single player on this roster. Key things for Derozan this season has been consistency, improving daily, aggressive, and he sure as hell hasn't been one-dimensional all season.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I like his rebounding (so far), and his passing out of traffic, but he's still nowhere near an elite shooting guard. Is he a better ball-handler than Dominc McGuire? I can't say with certainty. How far does DeRozan's game need to develop before he reaches Joe Johnson's level of polish? His jumper (outside of 16 feet) isn't just bad, it's awful. His man defense still leaves a lot to be desired.

He's a decent piece, but not someone I feel like we need to "build" around. Consistency is great, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all.

As for picking apart the rest of the roster, you're right....this roster is a very weak one. Very few players are worthy of building around. Lowry and Jonas maybe, but that's it.

Comment

Working...
                                X