Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Hollinger's Power Rankings

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Hollinger's Power Rankings

    Raps are 9th.

    Presented entirely without comment:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/pow...ngs/_/sort/sos

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm sorry, I don't understand what this is?

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Me neither. How are we 9th and Pelicans 3rd?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I believe Hollinger's rankings take +/- point differential, schedule and strength of opponents into account. So the fact that the Raptors have lost sooooo many close games (2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, 1 by 3 points and 2 overtime losses) to mostly really good teams (playoff teams last year and projected to be playoff teams this year) makes the Raptors a lot better than their record otherwise suggests.

    I think his rankings reflect the same sort of optimism that so few of us RR Raptors fans seem to have these days. Contrary to popular belief in many threads, the sky isn't falling... yet.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The rankings here don't reflect the actual ratings he gives them. Looks like ranking order is actually by strength of sched for some reason.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    The rankings here don't reflect the actual ratings he gives them. Looks like ranking order is actually by strength of sched for some reason.
    I think there's a link that will take you to the explanation and logic/rationale behind his system. He tries to show ratings that are more reflective of where teams will end up, than just where they are today. So, if you played lots of good/playoff teams in the first half of the season and picked up more losses than wins, the theory is that you'll pickup more wins than losses in the second half, since you'll play more games against bad/lottery teams.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, I realize that, but the link provided sorts by Strength of Schedule. (I thought at first it was an error in the page, but it's just that the link isn't to the actual ranking order.)

    Here's the correct link:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

    Raptors are 23rd, right about where they belong.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Raptors are 23rd, right about where they belong.
    Which is fair, considering they've had a really hard schedule and have the league's 2nd worse record at the moment. Anything much higher would be a little crazy and anything lower wouldn't seem to reflect how competitive we've been in most games.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter c_bcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I believe Hollinger's rankings take +/- point differential, schedule and strength of opponents into account. So the fact that the Raptors have lost sooooo many close games (2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, 1 by 3 points and 2 overtime losses) to mostly really good teams (playoff teams last year and projected to be playoff teams this year) makes the Raptors a lot better than their record otherwise suggests.

    I think his rankings reflect the same sort of optimism that so few of us RR Raptors fans seem to have these days. Contrary to popular belief in many threads, the sky isn't falling... yet.
    Aaaaaand, boom goes the dynamite. Its nice to have empirical evidence to support these sentiments. I will repeat my comment from another forum. This is a good team with a bad record. We'll be just fine...hopefully

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    Aaaaaand, boom goes the dynamite. Its nice to have empirical evidence to support these sentiments. I will repeat my comment from another forum. This is a good team with a bad record. We'll be just fine...hopefully
    Aaaaaaand, boom here comes reality.

    That is 9th based on strength of schedule. Do you really think the Raptors are better than the Thunder?

    Good teams win more often than they lose regardless of opponent. Period.

    I will repeat a comment from numerous forums: this is a bad team tied for the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Numerous people, myself included, have been saying, "We'll be just fine.... hopefully" for 5 years now. I think the Raptors will be fine..... eventually, but not without meaningful change. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If that is true then a lot of Raptor fans and its management are freaking insane.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Aaaaaaand, boom here comes reality.

    That is 9th based on strength of schedule. Do you really think the Raptors are better than the Thunder?

    Good teams win more often than they lose regardless of opponent. Period.

    I will repeat a comment from numerous forums: this is a bad team tied for the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Numerous people, myself included, have been saying, "We'll be just fine.... hopefully" for 5 years now. I think the Raptors will be fine..... eventually, but not without meaningful change. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If that is true then a lot of Raptor fans and its management are freaking insane.
    orrrr after Hollinger's demar derozan and raptors sucks comments, demar and kendrick lamar might have given a conference call from Compton asking him whats up?

    n here is his answer with the ranking

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I believe Hollinger's rankings take +/- point differential, schedule and strength of opponents into account. So the fact that the Raptors have lost sooooo many close games (2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, 1 by 3 points and 2 overtime losses) to mostly really good teams (playoff teams last year and projected to be playoff teams this year) makes the Raptors a lot better than their record otherwise suggests.

    I think his rankings reflect the same sort of optimism that so few of us RR Raptors fans seem to have these days. Contrary to popular belief in many threads, the sky isn't falling... yet.
    I hope you are right.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I had to side with either CRF:

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I believe Hollinger's rankings take +/- point differential, schedule and strength of opponents into account. So the fact that the Raptors have lost sooooo many close games (2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, 1 by 3 points and 2 overtime losses) to mostly really good teams (playoff teams last year and projected to be playoff teams this year) makes the Raptors a lot better than their record otherwise suggests.

    I think his rankings reflect the same sort of optimism that so few of us RR Raptors fans seem to have these days. Contrary to popular belief in many threads, the sky isn't falling... yet.
    Orr Matt:

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Aaaaaaand, boom here comes reality.

    That is 9th based on strength of schedule. Do you really think the Raptors are better than the Thunder?

    Good teams win more often than they lose regardless of opponent. Period.

    I will repeat a comment from numerous forums: this is a bad team tied for the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Numerous people, myself included, have been saying, "We'll be just fine.... hopefully" for 5 years now. I think the Raptors will be fine..... eventually, but not without meaningful change. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If that is true then a lot of Raptor fans and its management are freaking insane.
    ..On this particular subject, I definitely side with CRF.

    Good Team, Bad Record.
    In Masai we Trust.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    If I had to side with either CRF:



    Orr Matt:



    ..On this particular subject, I definitely side with CRF.

    Good Team, Bad Record.
    Fair enough.

    But when you look at his actual rankings, the Raptors are 23rd.

    Bad Team, Badder Record.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Fair enough.

    But when you look at his actual rankings, the Raptors are 23rd.

    Bad Team, Badder Record.
    23rd with their record is pretty impressive IMO

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well 23rd isn't as bad as what our record indicates. But being 23rd means we miss the playoffs and we give OKC the 8th pick next year = negative on every level.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    23rd with their record is pretty impressive IMO
    There is always a silver lining
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lark,

    Raptors are not 9th. Wish you would edit your original post. They are listed 9th due to the strength of schedule (out of their control - and irrespective of their success/failure).




    I admit this team is better then their record, but there is no silver lining here, you can easily sort their rating which puts them 23rd.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I believe Hollinger's rankings take +/- point differential, schedule and strength of opponents into account. So the fact that the Raptors have lost sooooo many close games (2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, 1 by 3 points and 2 overtime losses) to mostly really good teams (playoff teams last year and projected to be playoff teams this year) makes the Raptors a lot better than their record otherwise suggests.

    I think his rankings reflect the same sort of optimism that so few of us RR Raptors fans seem to have these days. Contrary to popular belief in many threads, the sky isn't falling... yet.
    Exactly.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Aaaaaaand, boom here comes reality.

    That is 9th based on strength of schedule. Do you really think the Raptors are better than the Thunder?

    Good teams win more often than they lose regardless of opponent. Period.

    I will repeat a comment from numerous forums: this is a bad team tied for the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Numerous people, myself included, have been saying, "We'll be just fine.... hopefully" for 5 years now. I think the Raptors will be fine..... eventually, but not without meaningful change. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If that is true then a lot of Raptor fans and its management are freaking insane.
    So what you're saying matt is that all the people for the past 5 years calling for bargs to he traded are actually insane and you've fallen through the rabbit hole? Haha

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •