Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calderon better as a starter for Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calderon better as a starter for Raptors?

I remember when Lowry got injured Jose was putting up monster #'s 10+ assist double double machine a triple double to boot and the team was playing really comeptitve basketball. Since Lowry came back the team assists have decreased substancially and seems like the team is playing a more selfish brand of basketball. I beleive Jose is more effective as a starter as it takes him a while to loosen up and doesn't get quite the same motivation backing up. Again, does this mean Lowry shoud be backup well at this point it doesn't really matter since they both split minutes anyway. What I am basically trying to say is that Jose needs major minutes to be effective 30+ and otherwise his value isan't put to full effect.

Also do you think that Jose team first brand of basketball is more useful with to our team that Lowry's score first mentality?

I was hoping Lowry would be a better pure PG - and he seemed to be at the start of the season - but he's certainly been playing far too much 'hero ball' for my liking lately. I much prefer a pass-first PG who gets his teammates involved and gets them going, making the 5-man unit better than the sum of the parts. I'm not ready to giveup on Lowry, but it scares me how he can look a lot like Ford, Jack and Bayless (much better than all 3 of course) when he gets in selfish mode.

Even if he does prove to be a disappointment, he'd still be a great trade asset for BC to use down the road. For the record, I don't think Calderon should be starting (as much as I like him). He's old, horrible defensively and not part of the long-term core of this team, so the Raptors would be far better served giving playing time to Lowry in hopes of him developing chemistry/trust in his teammates so that he can feel more comfortable passing more often.

Comment

ouch to think we have our hopes up for a guy who reminds us of those 3 is kind of depressing. I think jose is better than ford,jack and bayless. Remeber Nash performed at an mvp level with a lot more mielage than jose at this point in his career at roughly the same age. I think Jose is capable of leading this team I just don't think he will have the opportunity since we brought Lowry in to be our starting pg. I know the sample size was small this season but who can for get the 20 assist game the triple double and the fire Jose played with given the starting role.

Comment

I think letting Jose start would only offend Lowry imo.

Comment

Lowry is a better player. Maybe not a better PG but more talented over all, and that is what this team needs. So yes, Lowry should be starting.

However if you want a pure point guard, they are hard to find. The upper echelon ones are Paul, Rondo and Nash. After that you probably get guys like Calderon, Miller, and Vasquez. Although Holiday has been doing really well this year and should get votes for the ASG.

What my point is that, if you want a good PG then you're going to be getting one that looks to score as well. That's not a bad thing, but the issue with our team is that we don't have other play makers either which puts the spotlight more on Lowry.

If only DeMar/JV/Bargnani learned to pass more, then we wouldn't even question having Jose in our starting lineup. JV has an excuse in that he's a rookie. And our SF has been always terrible.

Comment

I think dribbles is fine coming off the bench we know what he can and cant do after 8 years.....w.e he brings on the offense end he gives it up on the defensive end .......and the last we need is to offend Lowry who we all know is a much more talented player than dribbles.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Lowry is a better player. Maybe not a better PG but more talented over all, and that is what this team needs. So yes, Lowry should be starting.

However if you want a pure point guard, they are hard to find. The upper echelon ones are Paul, Rondo and Nash. After that you probably get guys like Calderon, Miller, and Vasquez. Although Holiday has been doing really well this year and should get votes for the ASG.

What my point is that, if you want a good PG then you're going to be getting one that looks to score as well. That's not a bad thing, but the issue with our team is that we don't have other play makers either which puts the spotlight more on Lowry.

If only DeMar/JV/Bargnani learned to pass more, then we wouldn't even question having Jose in our starting lineup. JV has an excuse in that he's a rookie. And our SF has been always terrible.
              Your dose of reality relating to the Raptors' starting lineup hurts... like only the truth can!

PG: score-first player who's scoring is inefficient (and that's when he's not in 'hero ball' mode)

SG: inefficient scorer with no outside shot and poor defense

SF: ongoing open "competition" between out-of-work castoffs and D-leaguers

PF: inefficient scorer who doesn't rebound and provides poor help defense

C: rookie

And we collectively thought the Raptors would be strong contenders for the playoffs this season?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Your dose of reality relating to the Raptors' starting lineup hurts... like only the truth can!

PG: score-first player who's scoring is inefficient (and that's when he's not in 'hero ball' mode)

SG: inefficient scorer with no outside shot and poor defense

SF: ongoing open "competition" between out-of-work castoffs and D-leaguers

PF: inefficient scorer who doesn't rebound and provides poor help defense

And we collectively thought the Raptors would be strong contenders for the playoffs this season?
                I think this was the hope:

PG: defense minded, tough as nails baller, who has mighty big testicles in the crunch.

SG: a player who is improving his game and would benefit from having another scorer on the floor with him.

SF: the glue guy who would return to form on his shooting stroke only to have his elbow damaged by silicon sack over usage.

PF: a healthy legend (read: enigma) returns to previous short term form.

Team: tough, grind it out, protect the paint, clean the glass, out work/out hustle, pound the rock.

Sadly, we collectively thought did think this team was a contender for the playoffs. Still a lot of people refusing to pass the pipe though - lol.

Comment

calderon is better as a starter but the raptors are not better with calderon as a starter

Comment

Our future is clearly in Kyle Lowrys hands, no need to bench him.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

In response to your title.

Nope.

Not even a little bit.

That is all. Please close and burn this thread.
                      i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

Isn't it weird that the people that want calderon to start don't want to trade bargnani either? Just saying.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                          calderon is better as a starter but the raptors are not better with calderon as a starter
                          Well put.

Comment

Lowry is no doubt so much better than those 3 mentioned, it'd probably take days for them to catch up to Lowry, running, while he's standing still.

Now, I think it's just the fact, he's trying to force the situation a bit. They may also be a factor, for with injuries, the team could be asking him to carry more of a load for the team, while he already was handling quite a bit being our best player.

Calderon statistically wise, may be better in terms of point guard play, but this team lacks talent that the best teams in the league do, and benching Lowry would not solute the issue.

I believe benching Bargnani is, for he does nothing positive for this team.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
                              I remember when Lowry got injured Jose was putting up monster #'s 10+ assist double double machine a triple double to boot and the team was playing really comeptitve basketball. Since Lowry came back the team assists have decreased substancially and seems like the team is playing a more selfish brand of basketball. I beleive Jose is more effective as a starter as it takes him a while to loosen up and doesn't get quite the same motivation backing up. Again, does this mean Lowry shoud be backup well at this point it doesn't really matter since they both split minutes anyway. What I am basically trying to say is that Jose needs major minutes to be effective 30+ and otherwise his value isan't put to full effect.

Also do you think that Jose team first brand of basketball is more useful with to our team that Lowry's score first mentality?
                              I think the problem is Casey is putting Lowry in a position to play hero-ball. He's giving Calderon the PG reigns and Lowry the 2 guard spot. And we all know the 2 spot is where the scoring mostly comes from. Besides, nobody on the team is willing to put forth effort to grind for points. Bargnani is waiting behind the arc, Demar is camping on the perimeter. Somebody needs to muscle his way in or manufacture points. And Lowry is doing just that. The other problem is nobody crashes the board when he misses. How many times have we seen the past couple of games close to the end Lowry is getting his own rebound? Nobody's putting effort, so Lowry is. Jose is too scared to go in, he might get scratched.

Comment

Working...
                              X