Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Casey stuck in dreamland??

From the Toronto Sun:
    Lowry almost single-handedly got the Raptors the win in the second half Wednesday, scoring 29 of his team-high 34 points. Casey believes that would not have been possible without Bargnani on the floor occupying one of the Kings' bigs, thereby freeing up lanes for Lowry to do his damage.
    So Casey is basically putting the blame on Big V and beleives that Bargnani is the reason why Lowry went off in the second half. Is this the proof that hes just Collangelos puppet? Or just some really bad coaching? The only time I honestly beleived that the raps were in it at all was before Bargnani came in to replace Ed Davis.

I understand his belief of bringing Big V off the bench in favor of Amir due to his defensive liability (which will get better with time), but his failure to ever put ANY blame on Bargnani is horrible. I get a feeling that Lowry will eventually have some negative run in with him.

Without Bargnani on the floor Lowry wouldn't have the space to drive. This point may get lost in the Barg-hate but its true.

That said, they still didn't win with Lowry scoring 34, so clearly a different strategy would have been better.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
      Without Bargnani on the floor Lowry wouldn't have the space to drive. This point may get lost in the Barg-hate but its true.

That said, they still didn't win with Lowry scoring 34, so clearly a different strategy would have been better.
      +1 but i don't know how many points he got with bargs on the bench compared to on the floor

Comment

@sweatpantsjer

Comment

Without Bargnani on the floor Lowry wouldn't have the space to drive.
          This is true in theory. But it assumes that Lowry doesn't have the skill to score in traffic without Bargnani on the floor. I don't believe that to be true at all.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            This is true in theory. But it assumes that Lowry doesn't have the skill to score in traffic without Bargnani on the floor. I don't believe that to be true at all.
            2 paint-oriented big men means 4 bodies in the paint on a drive. Not conducive to driving, regardless of skill.

Comment

Was Wade not able to drive when he had Shaq in the paint? Or how about Kobe with Bynum and Gasol? Or how about Jordan with Longley and Rodman?

Bigs that create space for others is a myth. With the proper coaching you could clear up the paint for a wing/guard to drive to the rim even if you don't have a stretch 4.

Comment

2 paint-oriented big men means 4 bodies in the paint on a drive. Not conducive to driving, regardless of skill.
                But it doesn't mean 4 bodies in the paint. Jonas, Amir, and Davis are all capable of stepping out of the paint and hitting 16 footers. That's all the space a player as quick as Lowry would need.

I personally don't think having Bargnani standing 23 feet away (instead of 16) has a noticeable impact on Lowry over the course of an entire ball game.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Was Wade not able to drive when he had Shaq in the paint? Or how about Kobe with Bynum and Gasol? Or how about Jordan with Longley and Rodman?

Bigs that create space for others is a myth. With the proper coaching you could clear up the paint for a wing/guard to drive to the rim even if you don't have a stretch 4.
                  But that would require a coach being able to draw up effective offensive plays... not exactly Casey's strength. Half the time I watch this team and wonder if there's any offensive play being called at all.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    But that would require a coach being able to draw up effective offensive plays... not exactly Casey's strength. Half the time I watch this team and wonder if there's any offensive play being called at all.
                    Unfortunately I agree.. I don't think Casey knows how to run a proper offensive play.

Comment

from what i seen in that game Lowry was scoring like a beast WAY before Bargs checked back in late in the 4th..if DC really thinks it was Bargs that made Lowry go off then he is blind or stupid...i have alot of respect for DC but he is making me reconsider that now!

Comment

You'd think he'd have at least one offensive minded assistant that can help him out..

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Agreed on caoching aspect and comparing Lowry to Wade and Kobe is even further of a gap then comparing Andrea to Dirk and we know how far apart that comparision is. Wade and Kobe have the ability to finish above the rim. Lowry can finish but not in as many varieties as those two so the added space certainly helps.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                            You'd think he'd have at least one offensive minded assistant that can help him out..
                            Agreed or better yet allow him to be the assistant and focus on the defense

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

I wouldn't say it's completely a myth. It's as simple as saying that since the opposing big man was told by his coach that his check can shoot and will shoot, he will most definitely be farther out of the key and closer to the 3-point line where Bargnani lives.

This physically creates more room. Even opening up an opportunity for a kickout if the big was to to step in. But as we all know, Bargnani has been just awful from the 3 point line this season, and any attempt to take advantage of this has not been successful.

Comment

Working...
                              X