Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the best year to lose our pick from the Lowry trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the best year to lose our pick from the Lowry trade?

Top talent evaluators from around the NBA expressed pessimism about the 2013 draft in general and the No. 1 pick in particular.

"I'd trade the pick for sure," one NBA GM said. "No one wants to pick first this year -- and no one can live up to the No. 1 billing."

"It's the worst it's ever been," said another.

"I'm glad we won't be picking at the top," added one director of player personnel.

Cody Zeller is the consensus choice for the top spot, even though he possesses short arms and plays subpar defense.

"He'll never be a great NBA player," one NBA scouting director said.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...out_2013_Draft

This just mentions the top of the draft; how's the rest of the draft shaping up (specifically the range where we'd have to give the pick to OKC) ?

I think it would be, for 2 reasons:

1. As the article alludes to, this in an incredibly weak draft. Much less chance of the pick coming back to haunt the Raptors, especially if the team can move up in the standings in the 2nd half and ensure it's a pick in the #8-14 range going to OKC.

2. Completing the Lowry trade in 2013 is the quickest possible resolution of the convoluted conditions put on the pick. Resolution will add certainty to the Raptors management team and also enable BC to once again include future 1st round picks (starting with 2015 pick) in potential drafts. Essentially it's 2 more valuable trade assets (either 2015 & 2017 or 2016 & 2018) to work with.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

1. As the article alludes to, this in an incredibly weak draft. Much less chance of the pick coming back to haunt the Raptors, especially if the team can move up in the standings in the 2nd half and ensure it's a pick in the #8-14 range going to OKC.

2. Completing the Lowry trade in 2013 is the quickest possible resolution of the convoluted conditions put on the pick. Resolution will add certainty to the Raptors management team and also enable BC to once again include future 1st round picks (starting with 2015 pick) in potential drafts. Essentially it's 2 more valuable trade assets (either 2015 & 2017 or 2016 & 2018) to work with.
      The 2014 draft pick can be traded if the 2013 draft has come and gone, and the pick went to OKC.

Comment

Weak draft for sure. But there's some talent here. McAdoo, Mitchell or Muhammad would extremely look good in a Raps uni.

I'm a big fan of McAdoo so i really hope they could get him somehow.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          The 2014 draft pick can be traded if the 2013 draft has come and gone, and the pick went to OKC.
          Oh that's right, they just couldn't trade a consecutive pick prior to the first draft happening. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

+1. No time like the present.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I really hope that we lose the pick this year due to the weak draft. At first, I was worried about not losing the pick because we were going to make the playoffs!

Now, I'm worried that we won't lose the pick because we have top 3 destiny written all over this team at the moment (2nd last in the association baby!)...

However, I think that we will move up the standings prior to year end and our pick will be going to OKC. I think that it would be a best case scenerio (as I also think that this is a weak draft).

Comment

We need talent upgrades after this year, mainly a starting SF and backup PG ... A pick in the 15+ range (assuming a monumental "clicking" on the roster in December) could land a nice backup PG to develop, even as a 3rd stringer.

I used to think at some point your roster was set, and you stop focusing on adding through the draft ... but even championship contenders like Thunder, Spurs, etc - always seems to use the draft to improve their roster. We need to do the same, even if we are very young.
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                  We need talent upgrades after this year, mainly a starting SF and backup PG ... A pick in the 15+ range (assuming a monumental "clicking" on the roster in December) could land a nice backup PG to develop, even as a 3rd stringer.

I used to think at some point your roster was set, and you stop focusing on adding through the draft ... but even championship contenders like Thunder, Spurs, etc - always seems to use the draft to improve their roster. We need to do the same, even if we are very young.
                  Kabongo had a rough year last year, but I'd still be happy to see him as a Raptor.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                    This is a good point. We can't be drafting anymore Michael Bradley's or Chris Jeffries ... or Aleksandar Radojevic's ... or Kareem Rush ... And especially no more Araujo's or Joey Graham's. Oh dear god .. so many wasted opportunities!!

Wouldn't it be great if whoever OKC does end up drafting ends being one of those guys though ... a little schadenfreude is never a bad thing around these parts.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Kabongo had a rough year last year, but I'd still be happy to see him as a Raptor.
                      No way he's a lottery pick anyway. We could buy the pick for him if we wanted probably.. not saying that'll ever happen though. Haha

Comment

Ed Davis wrote: View Post
                        http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...out_2013_Draft

This just mentions the top of the draft; how's the rest of the draft shaping up (specifically the range where we'd have to give the pick to OKC) ?
                        Sounds like 2006.

Comment

Yes, it is.

Comment

They said very similar things about 2011 once everyone dropped out, and its starting to produce some very good prospects (notably Kyrie Irving, Jonas, Kemba, Iman Shumpert, Faried, Chandler Parons, Isaiah Thomas)

Comment

It absolutely is the best year. Not only because the talent in the draft is poor, but because 2014 is FULL of quality SFs (as of right now anyway, who knows what'll change). So best case scenario is to hand over the pick this year and try to position to draft a stud at a position of need in 2014.

Comment

Working...
                              X