Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Biggest problem = Casey and Bargnani

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Biggest problem = Casey and Bargnani

    This team right now is so bad defensively AND offensively. They're a mess really. Defensively, just like Matt and Jack said tonight. They overhelped too much. Not just tonight but pretty much EVERY GAME this year. I can't wait to see them play the Knicks or the Warriors. Those two teams would probably hit 20 three's against this team.

    Offensively, they're very predictable. It's either pick and rolls(when Jose's on the floor) or just go one on one whenever Lowry's on the floor. There's no ball movement whatsover. Speaking of Lowry, the guy just takes way too many unnecessary shot. His shot selection is BRUTAL. Bargnani on the other hand is the same thing. Whenever he gets the ball he just shoots. No awareness whatsover.

    Where's the accountability that Casey was talking about when he got hired? And he's supposed to be a great defensive coach right? looks like last year was nothing more than a mirage. This team right now defensively is just as bad or maybe even worse than the Jay Triano coached team.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dont blame Casey at all its just he has players that dont buy into his system. Lowry plays hero ball cause he literally has to score, whats he going to do? pass to DeRozan who is either doubled or not going to get his call or 2 pass to Bargs who is going to make a poor shot?

    The team has no post presence and a big man that actually boxs out well, every team is out rebounding us half of the 3s came from second shot ops tonight, the defense was passable in the first 10 mins but it would have been where its supposed to be if we boxed out and cleared the glass. Casey can only work with what he has.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What about the team's defence? what about his substitution patterns earlier in the season where it looks like he has no idea what he's doing? and i still don't think he knows what he's doing. What about Bargnani? why is he still getting this much minutes?
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie ScottBaird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    What about Bargnani? why is he still getting this much minutes?
    When you buy a ford focus for quadruple the price, you treat that ride like it's a ferrari. Bargnani is Colangelo's focus.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What do you mean Casey has to work with what he has ????? As a Coach you must play the players who give effort and follow your methods. I don't care if you make $10MM per year or $400K, NO EFFORT = BENCH. If you are going to lose, at least lose with the guys listening/trying. Defense requires the least amount of physical talent. it requires a head that thinks, feet that move and a heart that cares. I don't care if the RAPS score 80 points/ game. Show me defensive effort PERIOD

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hero ball has no place in the game. MAKE THE RIGHT BB PLAY PERIOD. IF IT IS A PASS - MAKE IT! THEN IT IS UP TO YOUR TEAM MATE TO DO THE SAME. THAT IS HOW YOU FIND OUT WHO CAN PLAY AND WHO CAN'T.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    At this point I can't properly assess Bargs because the coaching is really bad. Why aren't they running a different defense? Why are there no offensive sets? Why are they going so deep into the bench -- especially during the first quarter? Why do they never use time outs to break up runs for the other team? Why is it that when Bargs was struggling Casey didn't let him come off the bench, and gain confidence against second units? What's with the timing of substitutes? Why does he run 2 pgs when it hasn't worked all season? Why does Casey continue to make the same mistakes and expect different results?

    Until these issues are resolved, assessing Andrea properly is impossible.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Defensively, it looks like they're focused on protecting the paint but they need to focus more on preventing penetration into the paint at the point of attack. Most of the teams they've played this year just drive right by the initial defender, then everyone collapses into the middle, they kick it out for an easy or wide open three as we don't have the athletes to close out quickly. On offence, they just look completely lost. There's no flow to what they're doing as they come up court. It's almost as if it's every person for themselves. At this stage, it just looks like they've lost their spirit. When you keep trying and trying and don't get any results, you eventually give up.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You can't asses Bargs? The past 6 seasons haven't you shown you enough?

    Sorry, but this is just laughable. There are many problems with this team, I get that. But needing more time to asses Bargs? Really?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    You can't asses Bargs? The past 6 seasons haven't you shown you enough?

    Sorry, but this is just laughable. There are many problems with this team, I get that. But needing more time to asses Bargs? Really?
    Yeah that made me chuckle to.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Looks like Bargs is going to get another coach fired. Perhaps even the GM, too bad, I like Casey, I just don't think he can fix a warped wheel spoke for spoke.


    The construction of the team is flawed, we keep being handed rosters, that look like they were in the dogs mouth the night before.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote kuzzybear wrote: View Post
    What do you mean Casey has to work with what he has ????? As a Coach you must play the players who give effort and follow your methods. I don't care if you make $10MM per year or $400K, NO EFFORT = BENCH. If you are going to lose, at least lose with the guys listening/trying. Defense requires the least amount of physical talent. it requires a head that thinks, feet that move and a heart that cares. I don't care if the RAPS score 80 points/ game. Show me defensive effort PERIOD
    call me stupid but this is why I thought Acy should've had more of a chance before being sent down
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    This team right now is so bad defensively AND offensively. They're a mess really. Defensively, just like Matt and Jack said tonight. They overhelped too much. Not just tonight but pretty much EVERY GAME this year. I can't wait to see them play the Knicks or the Warriors. Those two teams would probably hit 20 three's against this team.

    Offensively, they're very predictable. It's either pick and rolls(when Jose's on the floor) or just go one on one whenever Lowry's on the floor. There's no ball movement whatsover. Speaking of Lowry, the guy just takes way too many unnecessary shot. His shot selection is BRUTAL. Bargnani on the other hand is the same thing. Whenever he gets the ball he just shoots. No awareness whatsover.

    Where's the accountability that Casey was talking about when he got hired? And he's supposed to be a great defensive coach right? looks like last year was nothing more than a mirage. This team right now defensively is just as bad or maybe even worse than the Jay Triano coached team.
    Both should go. I would love to see SVG become are next coach.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are only 3 constants in Toronto the last 7 seasons:

    Colangelo
    Bargnani
    Calderon


    Good bye to all.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jd4 wrote: View Post
    Defensively, it looks like they're focused on protecting the paint but they need to focus more on preventing penetration into the paint at the point of attack. Most of the teams they've played this year just drive right by the initial defender, then everyone collapses into the middle, they kick it out for an easy or wide open three as we don't have the athletes to close out quickly. On offence, they just look completely lost. There's no flow to what they're doing as they come up court. It's almost as if it's every person for themselves. At this stage, it just looks like they've lost their spirit. When you keep trying and trying and don't get any results, you eventually give up.
    Bingo!
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They over help on the strong side which leaves the weakside open. They always play the pick and roll with the big hedging, which is good, except our bigs are slow footed. When they hedge on a screen, it's basically 4 on 5, because they woudn't be able to recover.

    Another thing, James Johnson was big last year on the defensive side. He covered our weakness with that scheme because he would be the one rotating on the roll. He's big enough to cover the paint and blocks a lot from the help side. No wing player right now provides that. Not to mention, he rebounds well in traffic.

    Other teams don't always hedge hard on the screen. They have their bigs show but remain within arms reach of the roll man. How many times did Utah run that play which left us scrambling on defense? I saw at least 3 in a row in the first quarter alone. That's when adjustments come in. Sad to say, Casey hasn't done that.

    That's not even mentioning the offense. Look at the stats last night alone. Utah had over 30 assists and we had 10. There's no ball movement. It's just running plays to iso someone whether it's Derozan or Bargnani or Lowry. News flash. They're not that good to play iso ball. New York was criticized last year for running too much isolation. And that's with CARMELO ANTHONY.

    You watch the Heat play on the road versus at home. Completely different teams. At home, it's like the ball never stops. On the road, it's stuck with LeBron on Wade playing pick and roll, running half ass plays to iso someone. And the record shows it. They have the star power to afford playing that way, but even then, they are beatable. There's no beating around the bush. Teams who tend to do well in the regular season either have superstars, or, they know how to share the basketball. We got nothing.

    San Antonio plays machine like because they've mastered a system that entails moving the ball around, capitalizing on rotations. Watch their guards without the ball. They have positions to fill when Parker gets into a certain area. They capitalize on defenders' reactions and shift around the 3 point line to have continuous spacing. It's beautiful to watch. They managed to almost beat Miami without any of their usual starters.

    If you're gonna lose games, at least give us something to be entertained about. I'd honesty rather have us score 120 and lose 130 than play no defense and no offense.

    /The end.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •