No announcement yet.

Coaching is the problem, period!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the earlier point about AB no longer fitting here, I agree...to a point.

He does not work in the run 'n gun style they are trying to operate. He does, however, play quite well in a half court offense, where he can get set. For whatever reason, BC seems determined to keep up this fast play even though we really don't have the horses for it. Being young and quick is not an automatic indicator that a super fast pace is the way this team should play. Clearly this is not working.

I say go back to a half court offense (I have to guess that AB has been asked to play the perimeter since it always seems occupied) and you'll see AB do much better. Also, I must say (and I know many will shoot me for this) that KL is not the pg we need. He is tough and does score, but he too often looks for himself (or Derozan). I see too many times where he ignores an open man (be it Bargs or Amir) when it appears they have the easiest shot available. I think we were better with Jose as the starter (sorry, just my opinion...)

Derozan ROCKS (for the most part).

Comment

Beagle wrote: View Post
      It's hard to know how independent of BC a Toronto coach is. Observing both Triano and Casey leads one to believe that BC does manage the lineups from behind the scenes to some degree, but how can we know? Why should BC even have this power, assuming he does? It would seem the team owners are stupid for allowing a businessman to be given coaching authority over an experienced coaches that have played the game themselves. It should be the opposite with coaches having sway over BC's moves. No wonder players don't want to come to this organization.

If Casey does indeed have free reign then a lot of his coaching moves are fairly questioned: Why did he stick with Rasual Butler for so long? Why does he sub cold guys in the 4th over hot guys? Why does Bargnani get praise ("our guy" etc.) despite being one of the most ineffective starters in the league this year?

The owners need to figure out if BC is the problem or if DC and JT before him are the problem. I think it must be one of these, maybe both.
      So I think I might have an answer (my opinion of course) to this. Both Casey and Triano played Barg like crazy. Mitchell was the only coach to bench Barg and he got fired in my opinion for sitting guys who was not living up to the bill and was not afraid to do so.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
        Yeah. I'd point out that the one thing I'v always respected about Casey has been that he's able to get a consistent effort out of his team. I'm almost willing to look past the mysterious subs and in-game decisions, as long as the team gives the effort and competes. But that's not happening any more which leaves me scratching my head as to what Casey is bringing.

I'm not advocating getting rid of him, he needs a real chance and time. I do think he needs complete autonomy and freedom as to how he runs this team. BC dictating playing time for Ross, Bargnani, Valanciunas etc. is not the way to go and will only hamper Casey, and ultimately the team. Basically, BC needs to stop making the mistakes he made with Mitchell and Triano and back-off.
        So Arsenalist, can you please help me out on this one? Is it really that bad a thing for teams to play 3 rookies? Those Rookies playing well this year are doing so partly because they are getting playing time and the chance to make mistakes. But those teams also have a decent bench to recover from most mistakes. Is that what we are lacking? We were suppose to have a strong bench coming in pre-season. What happened to that?

Comment

Halifax Raps Fan wrote: View Post
          Also, I must say (and I know many will shoot me for this) that KL is not the pg we need. He is tough and does score, but he too often looks for himself (or Derozan). I see too many times where he ignores an open man (be it Bargs or Amir) when it appears they have the easiest shot available. I think we were better with Jose as the starter (sorry, just my opinion...)

Derozan ROCKS (for the most part).
          I agree with you on both of these points. I stated in an earlier thread that against the Kings that KL is a very good player, however he seems to be thinking about his own shots. Many times I see him bring the ball down, fan off one of his own player to change position and then tries to take the ball to the basket. If the lane closes in, then he tries to pass or he passes when the shot clock is almost out and by that time, the man with the ball don't have time to take a good shot off.

Comment

Working...
          X