Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Colangelo Interview (Transcript)

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It could always be worse:

Michael Lee of the Washington Post has a piece out on how the Washington Wizards are "still haunted" by Gilbert Arenas' massive contract extension in 2008. The headline and subsequent article is a roundabout way of saying what we noted a few weeks ago: the decision to trade for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza appears to be a $43 million mistake unless the two dramatically pick it up. Forty-three million, of course, is what the two players are owed over the next two years. In essence, the Wizards took whatever money they saved by dealing Arenas for Rashard Lewis and reapplied it to Okafor and Ariza.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/1...a-emeka-okafor

Summary

A 43 million dollar mistake. That's how Mike Prada and countless of Wizard fans have characterized this trade, merely after just the first week of the regular season. Three weeks in, they started pondering any and every alternative Ernie Grunfeld could have made instead. Yes, the duo we shipped off to the nation's capital has been that bad. They comprise roughly 1/3 of the Wizard's payroll but have played in under 19% of the available minutes. That's unacceptable that on a bad team, they have simply been worse than most of their counterparts. We really do owe their fans some type of condolence letter.

http://www.atthehive.com/2012/12/10/...a-okafor-trade

This is also further proof I know shit. I actually thought this trade was a good one when it went down for Washington. Considering I've been spewing what Colangelo has been promoting for the last few years, I'm doing the opposite like George Costanza. Take on the worst contracts in the league but get back lots of first round draft picks in the process. I never would have thought a few months ago I'd think this is the right direction for the team but there it is.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RapRepRip wrote: View Post
    Great article on BC in Toronto Life of all places.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/inf...ngelo-raptors/

One of the interesting bits of the article:

The Raptors finished the 2010–2011 season with a dismal 22-60 record. In April 2011, the website Basketball Prospectus, a go-to for stats junkies, ranked the Raptors dead last in payroll efficiency, which measures a team’s wins per salary dollar spent. No GM in the NBA was getting less bang for his buck than Colangelo.
    The "premium" of playing in Toronto probably explains some of this, but a worrisome stat nonetheless.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The "premium" of playing in Toronto probably explains some of this, but a worrisome stat nonetheless.
    Yep, a team looking to rebuild and lose shouldn't be at the salary cap....

EDIT: By the way, this is something all the "BC makes MLSE money" guys should take note of. Here's MLSE spending big bucks for a terrible team. Not a great use of revenues. I suspect this is what bugged guys like Glenn Silvestri: the value for money they were getting.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Listening in today in Primetime with Bob McCowan and he mentioned that part of the issue is having a 20 year-old rookie as a centre. Umm, wasn't that his decision? *Facepalm* Seriously, he sounds like a pathetic, used car salesman. He really sound like he and the franchise are not going anywhere soon.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Listening in today in Primetime with Bob McCowan and he mentioned that part of the issue is having a 20 year-old rookie as a centre. Umm, wasn't that his decision? *Facepalm* Seriously, he sounds like a pathetic, used car salesman. He really sound like he and the franchise are not going anywhere soon.
    SCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAM!

It is official. I hate Colangelo. The guy he pins the hopes and dreams of the franchise's fans on is now under the bus.

Man up, Bryan. Man up.

This team is your creation from the top on down to the bottom.

Man up.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Shorter transcript: I'm not making excuses. Proceeds to list every excuse in the book.

I think it's awesome that he calls out his rooks and Ed Davis then blames everyone else for Bargs' struggles. Don't think he did himself any favors here.

exactly.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not believe that it's a talent issue right now;
    This guy really needs to go, he is still in denial.

Post Thanks / Like

He got a 1st round overall pick, and Bosh a perenial allstar when he took over for the rebuild, and here we are 8 years later with not even one player the calibre of Bosh.

How he can not beat himself with a mallet is beyond me.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Typical Raptor luck: I bet we keep our pick this year in a weak draft at number 3 (it's top 3 protected) and then end up giving it away next year when we squeak into the playoffs with a deep draft. FML

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hyperdouche wrote: View Post
    Typical Raptor luck: I bet we keep our pick this year in a weak draft at number 3 (it's top 3 protected) and then end up giving it away next year when we squeak into the playoffs with a deep draft. FML
    I would much rather take a top 3 pick in a weak draft, than a 16th pick in a deep draft.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bryan Colangelo: Once again, we've been going through this process, we've been trying to make good long-term strategic decisions. I will fault the coaching staff for one thing: We probably won too many games last year in terms of part of this process. It's not that we were trying to lose, we were trying to establish a culture and that was a success. But at the same time, the draft process probably played itself out differently.

Somebody else quoted this, but I had to do a double take. Did he really just criticize his coach for not tanking hard enough last season? Does a GM of a professional sports team actually say this kind of thing out loud and on the record? BC is losing it here. Unbelievable. This should be a fine or at least a warning from David Stern.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post

Somebody else quoted this, but I had to do a double take. Did he really just criticize his coach for not tanking hard enough last season? Does a GM of a professional sports team actually say this kind of thing out loud and on the record? BC is losing it here. Unbelievable. This should be a fine or at least a warning from David Stern.
    it is the truth though, how much better would we be if we had harrison barnes or micheal kidd gilchrist right now? Last year we could've got a franchise changing player, this year I have no idea where we are going to find one.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post

He's right tho. Dwane Casey overachieves on a meaningless season and then coaches the team to bottom 3 in the league this year.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Rookie ScottBaird's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    He's right tho. Dwane Casey overachieves on a meaningless season and then coaches the team to bottom 3 in the league this year.
    Just think of how stupid that sounds. He over achieved last year, this year he is underachieving, that is quite the margin of error. Casey is all over the place, one day he almost beats the spurs, the next day he coaches the team to 3 good quarters against paul and blake.

Maybe its not the coaching? You can only keep up with the spurs and clippers for so long before you realize that NOT a single person on your starting 5 can make the starting roster of your opposing team. It's just a matter of time before your subpar roster has a bad quarter, and that is what we are seeing, and its far from Casey's fault.

The idea that we are better then the clippers and the spurs is beyond stupid. How can you blame Casey for the ending of those games, but not give him the credit for keeping up with those rosters.... is beyond me. Our horses are not finishers. They look good running, but there is a reason why teams are not pounding on our door for any of our players.

Personally, I think Casey is the only reason we have been in so many close games.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 11th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote scottbaird wrote: View Post
    h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s!!!!
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    Just think of how stupid that sounds. He over achieved last year, this year he is underachieving, that is quite the margin of error. Casey is all over the place, one day he almost beats the spurs, the next day he coaches the team to 3 good quarters against paul and blake.

Maybe its not the coaching? You can only keep up with the spurs and clippers for so long before you realize that NOT a single person on your starting 5 can make the starting roster of your opposing team. It's just a matter of time before your subpar roster has a bad quarter, and that is what we are seeing, and its far from Casey's fault.

The idea that we are better then the clippers and the spurs is beyond stupid. How can you blame Casey for the ending of those games, but not give him the credit for keeping up with those rosters.... is beyond me. Our horses are not finishers. They look good running, but there is a reason why teams are not pounding on our door for any of our players.

Personally, I think Casey is the only reason we have been in so many close games.
    The fact that the defensive culture from last season is completely lost has to be at least partially Casey's fault. They got better defenders, but are way worse defensively. Talent is irrelevant when the whole defensive system has disappeared.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, just giving another perspective

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    The fact that the defensive culture from last season is completely lost has to be at least partially Casey's fault. They got better defenders, but are way worse defensively. Talent is irrelevant when the whole defensive system has disappeared.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, just giving another perspective

How did they get better defenders? Who at SF is better at defence than James Johnson?

JV has been atrocious defensvily, pairing him with Davis has been a disaster.

Terrence Ross is a negative overall statistically to this team as well.

There is nothing better about this team defensively over last year, and that has a lot to do with the roster, and obligations to play Ross and JV.

Casey is not a magician, and expecting him to turn JV into a starting Center in his first year is beyond ridiculous. I can't believe you guys expect to play our rookies and still make 8th seed.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 11th, 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Yeah, for sure. I'm a big advocate of tanking, **ahem**, I mean, playing the youth and resting the vets... but I've just never heard a GM even 'allude' to tanking for the draft even in the slightest off-hand way. We all know Cleveland, Washington, Nets, Bobcats, Heat, etc... have been doing it in recent memory, but for a GM to actually say it out loud to the media... that's almost Babcockian.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how our players are fairing defensively. With the 82 games ranking, the defenders tend to be on top, as both sides of the ball are accounted for, what you score, and what your position scores against you.

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213TOR.HTM

In the chart above, acy has 2% of the minutes, in meaningless time, so that data can be discarded.... but the rest of the team has built up quite data sample.

You should also go check out other teams to see how their stars are fairing in this measurement.

Andrea is not the leader, but he is not the dead weight either.

EDIT: We have a lot of dead weight, and players that look good on the stat sheet don't always look so good when you see how they effect the teams success.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 11th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.

Thread Information