No announcement yet.

Bryan Colangelo Interview (Transcript)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bryan Colangelo: Once again, we've been going through this process, we've been trying to make good long-term strategic decisions. I will fault the coaching staff for one thing: We probably won too many games last year in terms of part of this process. It's not that we were trying to lose, we were trying to establish a culture and that was a success. But at the same time, the draft process probably played itself out differently.

Somebody else quoted this, but I had to do a double take. Did he really just criticize his coach for not tanking hard enough last season? Does a GM of a professional sports team actually say this kind of thing out loud and on the record? BC is losing it here. Unbelievable. This should be a fine or at least a warning from David Stern.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Somebody else quoted this, but I had to do a double take. Did he really just criticize his coach for not tanking hard enough last season? Does a GM of a professional sports team actually say this kind of thing out loud and on the record? BC is losing it here. Unbelievable. This should be a fine or at least a warning from David Stern.
      it is the truth though, how much better would we be if we had harrison barnes or micheal kidd gilchrist right now? Last year we could've got a franchise changing player, this year I have no idea where we are going to find one.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

He's right tho. Dwane Casey overachieves on a meaningless season and then coaches the team to bottom 3 in the league this year.

Comment

Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            He's right tho. Dwane Casey overachieves on a meaningless season and then coaches the team to bottom 3 in the league this year.
            Just think of how stupid that sounds. He over achieved last year, this year he is underachieving, that is quite the margin of error. Casey is all over the place, one day he almost beats the spurs, the next day he coaches the team to 3 good quarters against paul and blake.

Maybe its not the coaching? You can only keep up with the spurs and clippers for so long before you realize that NOT a single person on your starting 5 can make the starting roster of your opposing team. It's just a matter of time before your subpar roster has a bad quarter, and that is what we are seeing, and its far from Casey's fault.

The idea that we are better then the clippers and the spurs is beyond stupid. How can you blame Casey for the ending of those games, but not give him the credit for keeping up with those rosters.... is beyond me. Our horses are not finishers. They look good running, but there is a reason why teams are not pounding on our door for any of our players.

Personally, I think Casey is the only reason we have been in so many close games.
            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

scottbaird wrote: View Post
              h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s!!!!

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                Just think of how stupid that sounds. He over achieved last year, this year he is underachieving, that is quite the margin of error. Casey is all over the place, one day he almost beats the spurs, the next day he coaches the team to 3 good quarters against paul and blake.

Maybe its not the coaching? You can only keep up with the spurs and clippers for so long before you realize that NOT a single person on your starting 5 can make the starting roster of your opposing team. It's just a matter of time before your subpar roster has a bad quarter, and that is what we are seeing, and its far from Casey's fault.

The idea that we are better then the clippers and the spurs is beyond stupid. How can you blame Casey for the ending of those games, but not give him the credit for keeping up with those rosters.... is beyond me. Our horses are not finishers. They look good running, but there is a reason why teams are not pounding on our door for any of our players.

Personally, I think Casey is the only reason we have been in so many close games.
                The fact that the defensive culture from last season is completely lost has to be at least partially Casey's fault. They got better defenders, but are way worse defensively. Talent is irrelevant when the whole defensive system has disappeared.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, just giving another perspective

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                  The fact that the defensive culture from last season is completely lost has to be at least partially Casey's fault. They got better defenders, but are way worse defensively. Talent is irrelevant when the whole defensive system has disappeared.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, just giving another perspective

How did they get better defenders? Who at SF is better at defence than James Johnson?

JV has been atrocious defensvily, pairing him with Davis has been a disaster.

Terrence Ross is a negative overall statistically to this team as well.

There is nothing better about this team defensively over last year, and that has a lot to do with the roster, and obligations to play Ross and JV.

Casey is not a magician, and expecting him to turn JV into a starting Center in his first year is beyond ridiculous. I can't believe you guys expect to play our rookies and still make 8th seed.
                  Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    Yeah, for sure. I'm a big advocate of tanking, **ahem**, I mean, playing the youth and resting the vets... but I've just never heard a GM even 'allude' to tanking for the draft even in the slightest off-hand way. We all know Cleveland, Washington, Nets, Bobcats, Heat, etc... have been doing it in recent memory, but for a GM to actually say it out loud to the media... that's almost Babcockian.

Comment

Here is how our players are fairing defensively. With the 82 games ranking, the defenders tend to be on top, as both sides of the ball are accounted for, what you score, and what your position scores against you.

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213TOR.HTM

In the chart above, acy has 2% of the minutes, in meaningless time, so that data can be discarded.... but the rest of the team has built up quite data sample.

You should also go check out other teams to see how their stars are fairing in this measurement.

Andrea is not the leader, but he is not the dead weight either.

EDIT: We have a lot of dead weight, and players that look good on the stat sheet don't always look so good when you see how they effect the teams success.
                      Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

How did they get better defenders? Who at SF is better at defence than James Johnson?

JV has been atrocious defensvily, pairing him with Davis has been a disaster.

Terrence Ross is a negative overall statistically to this team as well.

There is nothing better about this team defensively over last year, and that has a lot to do with the roster, and obligations to play Ross and JV.

Casey is not a magician, and expecting him to turn JV into a starting Center in his first year is beyond ridiculous. I can't believe you guys expect to play our rookies and still make 8th seed.
                        Coming into the season:

JV+Amir over Gray+Amir any day
                        Fields is a very solid defender, while JJ was apparently a bad locker room guy and was often risky on defense
                        Lowry>Calderon.

I think it's pretty clear they got better individual defenders, especially at point guard. Fields can't be any worse than JJ, and Gray was terrible on both sides of the floor. Can you honestly say you were expecting this much of a regression because of the loss of JJ and taking minutes away from Gray? Not to mention taking Jose out of the starting lineup. And ross doesn't play nearly as much as Pietrus/Fields/Anderson/Mcguire who are all at least decent defenders.

Comment

Here is another one that is interesting:

Rank by Position in the NBA

(the numbers above are 1-30 depending on how good or bad we are compared to other teams in these categories)

You should aslo
                          Check out other teams here
                          so that you can see how accurate this metric is.
                          Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I just showed you stats that confirm that Fields was much much worse than JJ. ...and that Lowry is not better than Jose at D, at least with the raptors (or I should say post injury).

Back in the day, Banks was a superior defensive point guard. That is why Miami gave him that contract, look what happened there.
                            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I just showed you stats that confirm that Fields was much much worse than JJ. ...and that Lowry is not better than Jose at D, at least with the raptors (or after his injury).
                              Those are their stats with the Raptors... who have had abysmal team defense this season, which skews any stats. Anyone can tell from watching him play that Fields is a decent defender when healthy. And comparing Jose's defense to Lowry's is just pointless. Lowry, healthy, is known to be a top defender in the league, while Jose is known to be a guy to attack no matter who you are

Comment

James Johnson did quite well in these stats.

They are based on the success of the player being on the floor compared to the success of the team. So we are judging only how individual team members stack up against each other when it comes to the overall success of the team.

The magnitude of the positives and negatives do not matter, just your rank in the list (assuming you have a large sample of minutes).

Comment

Working...
                                X