View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take other teams sh!t for prospects & picks

    29 69.05%
  • Keep doing what we are doing. We already have talent!

    5 11.90%
  • Other (please tell in comments)

    8 19.05%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 155

Thread: Blow it up..... seriously

  1. #121
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    I think a lot of Lowry's self-centred play comes from him being frustrated with the terrible offense he is forced to run. An example of this was in Portland where he was waiting for the team to run the play, but they didn't do anything so he jacked up a long 3. I know i sound like a Lowry-homer but it's hard to blame him IMO
    Just to tack on to this, the team not trusting eachother is something I've noticed getting progressively worse as the season goes on.

    On offense they don't swing the ball, don't look to exploit mismatches, don't look to set eachother up. Part of it is that they lack players that can do those things (even do simple things like make an entry pass), and part of it is that they employ ball-stoppers and guys whose only game involves isolation. I honestly can't remember watching a team move the ball less and with less purpose than these Raps do; the only time anyone ever passes is when they've picked up their dribble and they have no choice.

    On defense, they overhelp like no team i've ever watched. They clearly don't trust eachother to contain their man, and I can't even blame them because they have so many poor defenders. This wouldn't even be that big of a problem for most clubs, but it takes about 2 rotations for the Raptors to be completely lost; how many times this year have you seen either zero raptors closing out an open 3 point shooter, or MULTIPLE raptors closing out? Both are signs that people haven't got a clue what they're doing.

  2. #122
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    Only a Raptors fan could take something so painful and make it funny.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  3. #123
    Raptors Republic Rookie Holy Craptors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Not the playoffs.
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Matt52, I think your plan is solid. Clear and simple.

    Unfortunately, BC's plan seems to be something more like: "During the season, I'll hide under some coats, and hope that somehow everything will work out."

    _________________________

    Celebrating the Futility of the Toronto Raptors:
    http://www.holycraptors.com

  4. #124
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Count Ken Berger in for the blow it up club:

    Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

    http://gifb.in/VQsV RT @KevinRashidi: @KBergCBS Would really appreciate your insight on how to fix the Toronto Raptors?
    It is a true a picture is worth a thousand words.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  5. #125
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post


    Only a Raptors fan could take something so painful and make it funny.
    that's just about pretty fucking perfect.

    sigh. what a year. you get to a certain point, and you just become desensitized to it. then you think, 'man, it really can't get any worse than this, right? RIGHT?' but fuck no, it certainly can. step one in how to make it worse is letting BC have any involvement in any moves made from this point onward. actually, i take that back...BC should be retained as a check on what not to do. they (stefanski, various yes-men, casey, embry, etc.) could put together some proposed deals, and see what BC thinks of them. any that he gets excited by go in the garbage. give him the milton waddams treatment:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRyY4F7SZxE

    anyway. i still don't think they're as bad as their record indicates, but that doesn't really matter...unfortunately, for a team as young as the raps, a 'good loss' (i.e. playing well, losing a close game to a superior opponent, overcoming bad officiating, etc.) only lasts so long. once the losses pile up, it just becomes hard to break the cycle, and go into a game with a positive attitude. or to not give up when things start to go downhill in a game that's slipping away.

    as for general morale, this is about as low as i can remember it being...just feels so toxic. as someone who was genuinely excited by lowry's arrival & his play at the start of the year, count me among those frustrated by the turn for the worse he's taken since coming back. still think he's far better than he's shown, and there are likely a number of reasons for his poor play (frustration being the main one, but also the realization that his value is dropping - he has this year & the next to 'prove' he's an elite PG deserving of a near-max contract, and playing on a horrible team isn't doing much to up his perceived value).
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  6. #126
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post


    Only a Raptors fan could take something so painful and make it funny.
    That is brilliant!

  7. #127
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Bullshit. They will go where the money is. Get good players, more will follow.
    Yes. I 100% agree. I've always said that.

    But in the here and now (i.e. the next 2-3 years what I am talking about in this thread) the statement is 100% factual.

    Evidence? Nash wouldn't even sign here for $12M.

    When the Raptors have a young nucleus and are winning, solid veteran free agents will likely be happy to sign but that is not anytime soon.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  8. #128
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Bullshit. They will go where the money is. Get good players, more will follow.
    This. There are too many examples to enumerate, but the Wolves and Clips are pretty good recent examples.

  9. #129
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Not you specifically. It was a collective "you". Plenty of people had them ranked similarly and are now calling for the bomb. I don't know if I have any of the answers. I just wonder how much the injuries, the schedule and the fact that this team is learning how to play together, have affected our standing 1/4 way through the season. It would be nice to see it play out. Maybe I am just as optimistic as a Taylor Swift boyfriend before he gets a song written about him. In either case, this thread has been a great opportunity to try and figure out where this franchise can go.
    Can't remember where I had them ranked but I was projecting 33 wins -- basically the exact same winning percentage as last year. I'm not sure they will even get that now, I feel like we're at a point where we could be looking at half that many wins. I too assumed a top 10 defense (but just a very inexperienced and raw squad). That defense is gone, and we have a GM that thinks this roster has enough talent, which it doesn't.

  10. #130
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Can't remember where I had them ranked but I was projecting 33 wins -- basically the exact same winning percentage as last year. I'm not sure they will even get that now, I feel like we're at a point where we could be looking at half that many wins. I too assumed a top 10 defense (but just a very inexperienced and raw squad). That defense is gone, and we have a GM that thinks this roster has enough talent, which it doesn't.
    In my heart of hearts I don't believe he believes that rubbish.

    The reality is if he says talent is an issue, what does it do for the moral of an already tarnished locker room and it hurts his bargaining position with other teams (lol - I can hardly stop from laughing typing that last bit).

    The problem I have is he did not find a politically correct way to side step the question and he proceeded to throw his coach and rookie under the bus. In trying to deflect blame away from himself, he only turned the spotlight directly on him.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  11. #131
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    In my heart of hearts I don't believe he believes that rubbish.

    The reality is if he says talent is an issue, what does it do for the moral of an already tarnished locker room and it hurts his bargaining position with other teams (lol - I can hardly stop from laughing typing that last bit).

    The problem I have is he did not find a politically correct way to side step the question and he proceeded to throw his coach and rookie under the bus. In trying to deflect blame away from himself, he only turned the spotlight directly on him.
    +1. He sucks at making excuses

  12. #132
    Raptors Republic Starter KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    In my heart of hearts I don't believe he believes that rubbish.

    The reality is if he says talent is an issue, what does it do for the moral of an already tarnished locker room and it hurts his bargaining position with other teams (lol - I can hardly stop from laughing typing that last bit).

    The problem I have is he did not find a politically correct way to side step the question and he proceeded to throw his coach and rookie under the bus. In trying to deflect blame away from himself, he only turned the spotlight directly on him.
    I don't think he threw JV under the bus. The reality is that JV is a rookie, and needs time to learn defensively. I don't know how he could be more politically correct about that.

    Saying they won too many games with Casey last year was an odd statement, though. Also, he's the one who hired the ridiculously incompetent head coach, so it's still his problem.

  13. #133
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    I don't think he threw JV under the bus. The reality is that JV is a rookie, and needs time to learn defensively. I don't know how he could be more politically correct about that.

    Saying they won too many games with Casey last year was an odd statement, though. Also, he's the one who hired the ridiculously incompetent head coach, so it's still his problem.
    I was talking about Ross.

    And the comments went beyond winning too many games. Who sets the tone for 'focus'? I would say the coach.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  14. #134
    Raptors Republic Starter KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I was talking about Ross.
    Whoops, totally spaced on that one. I do recall him talking about JV though.

    Anyways, with Ross, I think he just needs more time. With the injuries we have, that shouldn't be a problem...

  15. #135
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    OK, well I maybe misunderstood what you were saying, because there are some people around here who say "American ball players don't want to play in Toronto because they can't even find it on a map" etc. as if the city or country is the issue. Beyond it being thinly-veiled racism, it's not true. The Jays have attracted lots of great players for decades. The problem is the disastrous management team has signed so many awful players to big contracts, there isn't enough cap space at the moment. And whoever finally replaces Colangelo is going to have to dump those bad contracts on the first team stupid enough to take them.
    I've made the point winning and money trumps all numerous times.

    It is only of late I am in total 100% agreement on the disastrous management team - but, hey, better late than never.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  16. #136
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    OK, well I maybe misunderstood what you were saying, because there are some people around here who say "American ball players don't want to play in Toronto because they can't even find it on a map" etc. as if the city or country is the issue. Beyond it being thinly-veiled racism, it's not true. The Jays have attracted lots of great players for decades. The problem is the disastrous management team has signed so many awful players to big contracts, there isn't enough cap space at the moment. And whoever finally replaces Colangelo is going to have to dump those bad contracts on the first team stupid enough to take them.
    it's actually more likely xenophobia than racism, but w/e.

    as to the point, i totally agree with your premise (and matt's rebutal) that players will sign anywhere as long as there is a legit chance to win there. but then we're looking at a chicken-egg situation...how do you create that 'winning environment?' by having 'winning' players that contribute to a 'winning' team. where do those 'winning' players come from? the air? no, they come from the same 3 places that are available to every team (draft, trade, FA); if the team doesn't have 'winning' players &/or a 'winning culture,' then it's pretty hard to sway FAs to sign here based on the premise of 'winning,' isn't it?
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  17. #137
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    it's actually more likely xenophobia than racism, but w/e.

    as to the point, i totally agree with your premise (and matt's rebutal) that players will sign anywhere as long as there is a legit chance to win there. but then we're looking at a chicken-egg situation...how do you create that 'winning environment?' by having 'winning' players that contribute to a 'winning' team. where do those 'winning' players come from? the air? no, they come from the same 3 places that are available to every team (draft, trade, FA); if the team doesn't have 'winning' players &/or a 'winning culture,' then it's pretty hard to sway FAs to sign here based on the premise of 'winning,' isn't it?
    While I totally agree that players will almost unconditionally sign with winning teams, I disagree that it's a 'chicken and egg situation'. A 'winning environment' can be created by an EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD GM and he can do it without elite free agents. Draft, Trade and Free Agency as mentioned are the 3 available options to all GM's. Yes a team is limited as far as the Draft is concerned but I believe that Trade and Free Agency are underestimated options. To some extent, even the Draft is.

    Colangelo is a capable GM and did prove it when he started here. Among other things, one of the main reasons for his failure is his over-reliance on input from his support staff. Stephanski, Embry, Casey etc.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  18. #138
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Trade to shake things up

    http://basketball.realgm.com/tradech..._trade/6177866

    Calderon, Bargnani, Ed Davis for Kevin Love, JJ Barea

    Kevin Love's been upseting people in that organization. A good shake up would help both teams.

    Minny can save money, get a younger prospect in Davis a long range shooting big man, and a better backup PG Spanish to help Ricky Rubio for the remaining of the season.

  19. #139
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote changv10 wrote: View Post
    http://basketball.realgm.com/tradech..._trade/6177866

    calderon, bargnani, ed davis for kevin love, jj barea

    kevin love's been upseting people in that organization. A good shake up would help both teams.

    Minny can save money, get a younger prospect in davis a long range shooting big man, and a better backup pg spanish to help ricky rubio for the remaining of the season.
    lol

  20. #140
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote changv10 wrote: View Post
    http://basketball.realgm.com/tradech..._trade/6177866

    Calderon, Bargnani, Ed Davis for Kevin Love, JJ Barea

    Kevin Love's been upseting people in that organization. A good shake up would help both teams.

    Minny can save money, get a younger prospect in Davis a long range shooting big man, and a better backup PG Spanish to help Ricky Rubio for the remaining of the season.
    Sure sign me up.

    No way in heaven does Minnesota do that.

    The type of value Love would return is equal to or better than what OKC got for Harden.

    Love put up 26 points and 13 rebs last year and is doing 20 and 15 this year.

    All this Love talk is very premature regardless. He is under contract for at least another 2 seasons after this year. Furthermore, Taylor is talking about selling the Wolves. Trading Love for that package is a great way to knock off $100M off his asking price.

    I think it is fair to say forget Love coming to Toronto.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •