Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hollinger: Raptors' issues start with Bargnani (ESPN Insider)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollinger was just saying that amnesty being more likely than a trade for AB.

Comment

Very good read .. its worth reading the whole article for sure.

I agree with pretty much everything he says. AB has been historically bad - well below his career averages (let alone some of his career bests from last year).

The one thing I would take some exception with is the efficiency comments re AJ and ED. While Im very much in favour of playing ED way more than he has been .. you have to realize with both of ED and Amir on the court together, you REALLY need to get a lot of scoring out of your backcourt. If those guys were asked to do more offensively, you would see their efficiency stats decline quite a bit (Sort of like Harden this year .. although of course on a much lessor level).

Having said that, AB has been god awful, and if he cant get back to what he used to be - then we are still much better with anyone (including AJ, ED) than with AB.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
        I support players that I trust on this team, and it really doesn't take that much for me. Derozan, davis, val, lowry, ross, are all players I will support.

Sorry Im not a mindless zombie, supporting players I couldn't give a toss about just because they wear a raptors jersey.
        There is nothing more mindless than cheering on particular people whom you've never met because you 'trust' them. Trust them with what exactly? A basketball? Your wallet? Everyone you've mentioned is a young guy playing a game they love for a team that has struggled for years. None, with the possible exception of Valanciunas, will ever be an All-Star. The other thing they all have in common is that they've never had the burden of being labelled a franchise player by an over-expecting and rightfully frustrated fan-base. Their bad nights are overlooked, much like most of Bargnani's good nights.

As I said before, Andrea Bargnani is a decent, not great, not dreadful, basketball player. He is going through an especially poor patch of form. It happens. This does not make him 'scum', any more than a 40 point game against the Bobcats makes him a franchise player. I am a fan of the Toronto Raptors. As more eloquent people than myself have said, that involves cheering everyone who pulls on a Raptors jersey. If you single one guy out for (unjustified) abuse then the only people that helps is the opposition. If you then consider that person 'scum' then you need to have a long, hard look at your priorities.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Even with Bargnani gone, this team will still suck hard. Colangelo is still trying to sell us a Porsche.
          yes but then you can rebuild on a legitimate foundation of hardwork, defense, rebounding ALL things that Bargs aint
          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

It's basically do you want this team to be known as a bad scoring and defense team that's losing or a team that doesn't give you anything easy fight till the end. Is a top notch scorer away from a playoff team?
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nail, meet hammer

Comment

Thornbury wrote: View Post
                See my last post numb nuts. Also, quit posting on any basketball site if you think Bargs is our worst player. He's probably like our third to worst player, maybe forth. Everyone in the world but akashsingh disregard everything in parenteses (Sarcasm fuckhead)
                Bargnani is shit and he's the worst PF in the nba, stop beating off to primo pasta commercials and face the music

Comment

I think that I remember Arsenalist pushing for it years ago, but why isn't using Bargnani as "the sixth man (or first forward off the bench)" investigated?

His lack of defence would be less exposed against other benches and "maybe" he could score more efficiently against other benches?

I guess we would be paying a lot of money for a bench guy, but it seems it would be a better fit than the current situatiuon... (we can't get value if we trade him, and we are not winning with him as a starter)...

Don't get me wrong, he's not the entire problem. But I think that this is a possible solution that should be looked at.

If nothing seems to bother him, then why would "coming off the bench" bother him?

Comment

AANNYYWAAYY...

I love Hollinger because his perspective is really useful for role players, or trying to understand value outside of Superstars (because its the intangibles that makes these guys so good...no stats for that!)

His comparing Bargs to Charlie V is bang on. Now I know why I've hated Bargs for so long. Charlie V was/is an overpaid piece of garbage who is just more outwardly mean and cocky than Bargnani.

But not only are their playing styles similar, there detachment from the game and lack of passion for winning above all else (especially their own offense) is truly what hits home.

At the point that even Hollinger is taking time out of his day from talking about Lebron and Kobe to write about how bad Bargs is...dude needs to go

Comment

canadafubuki wrote: View Post
                      I think that I remember Arsenalist pushing for it years ago, but why isn't using Bargnani as "the sixth man (or first forward off the bench)" investigated?

His lack of defence would be less exposed against other benches and "maybe" he could score more efficiently against other benches?

I guess we would be paying a lot of money for a bench guy, but it seems it would be a better fit than the current situatiuon... (we can't get value if we trade him, and we are not winning with him as a starter)...

Don't get me wrong, he's not the entire problem. But I think that this is a possible solution that should be looked at.

If nothing seems to bother him, then why would "coming off the bench" bother him?
                      Do I have to create a hashtag for this as well? Is that what youngsters do? Let's go with #BargnaniForSixthMan

Comment

Working...
                      X