Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hollinger: Raptors' issues start with Bargnani (ESPN Insider)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

akashsingh wrote: View Post
    excellent article, every little bit helps (especially an espn article) in eliminating the scum that is andrea bargnani. And then I can go back to watching this team.
    Even with Bargnani gone, this team will still suck hard. Colangelo is still trying to sell us a Porsche.

Comment

Great read, another in a string of people pointing out what is obvious: Bargs has got to go if we are ever going to rebuild properly. It was a great idea and he may find success elsewhere but he is killing this team.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

i'm really happy these kinds of articles are finally coming out, exposing just how bad this team really is. hopefully now BC gets fired.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          sleepz, I know you'll remember when Bosh couldn't play defense in Toronto, right? Then he went to the Olympics and was the best defensive big on the floor? Or Miami? Or that Amir can only play defense when Ed Davis is on the floor?

I wonder if there is some common denominator that may help explain all these coincidences?
          I know right.

Chris played on a Raps team where not much thought was given to defence and he had such large offensive responsibilities that he didn't give as much on that end of the floor but he's always had the ability. In fact, I am going to take it a step further and say during his time here Chris should have taken a more 'lead by example' approach defensively as he was the best player on the team and if he's doing it, everyone else could be expected to follow and maybe AB would have seen from early how you need to play the game properly.

That being said.......none of that happened and everyone is accountable for themselves at the end of the day.

It truly bothers me that we as a basketball community (fans, media, players, management) are aware of a big problem (not the only problem on this team, but a big one) and yet we haven't fixed it yet and look for all other sorts of analysis to try and explain it.

Comment

I would like to thank ESPN and John Hollinger for writing this article.

My sincerest thanks,

- AJ360

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post
              I would like to thank ESPN and John Hollinger for writing this article.

My sincerest thanks,

- AJ360
              +1

Comment

I gave Hollinger lots of shit. I have to admit, he was right, I was wrong. Now, I still think he has taken every opportunity to stick it to Toronto but given the results you can't blame him.

Still don't think his comments on draft night were warranted though.

Comment

Damn! I dont get this teams' love affair with Bargnani!? The man is struggling big time! If BC doesnt wanna trade him, make Casey bench the guy for f@cks sake! 7 years of "hoping" is too damn long. Make him the 6th - 7th man, if he's hot, ride him if not, go back to the bench. Theres other players that DESERVE the playing time like Ed. The whole organization knows what the problem, why are they too damn proud to admit it.

Comment

Consider that the Bargnani-Valanciunas frontcourt tandem has been shredded for 109.5 points per 100 possessions, according to NBA.com's advanced stats tool, while playing more than a third of the Raptors' minutes this season.

Consider further that the Davis-Johnson tandem that backs them up has allowed just 98.1 as a unit, which would lead the league in defensive efficiency. As you might expect, the Bargnani-Johnson duo (105.1) falls right in the middle. (Davis-Valanciunas does not, at 109.0, but in just 71 minutes.)
                    This is the quote from the article that got me the most upset. They always say they'll go with the unit that will give them the best chance to win. Considering that management and the coaches know that the Bargnani-Valanciunas pairing is detrimental to the team and still haven't shaken things up really pisses me off. I love Jonas, but get him the hell away from Bargnani.

Comment

Consider further that the Davis-Johnson tandem that backs them up has allowed just 98.1 as a unit, which would lead the league in defensive efficiency.
                      Michel G wrote: View Post
                      This is the quote from the article that got me the most upset. They always say they'll go with the unit that will give them the best chance to win. Considering that management and the coaches know that the Bargnani-Valanciunas pairing is detrimental to the team and still haven't shaken things up really pisses me off. I love Jonas, but get him the hell away from Bargnani.
                      That stat is rediculous. I know they're playing against second units but that kind of difference between the starters and the second unit is mind numbing. Does anyone know what that line ups offensive rating is?
                      Last edited by hateslosing; Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:51 PM.
                      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Consider that the Bargnani-Valanciunas frontcourt tandem has been shredded for 109.5 points per 100 possessions, according to NBA.com's advanced stats tool, while playing more than a third of the Raptors' minutes this season.

The above also points out that playing Val will not make us contend for the playoffs. Those screaming for increased minutes to Val, should not be crying when we get blown out.

Comment

excellent article, every little bit helps (especially an espn article) in eliminating the scum that is andrea bargnani. And then I can go back to watching this team.
                          Andrea Bargnani is not 'scum'. He's a decent player on a poor team, who as many people have mentioned is being treated as a cornerstone when he'll never reach that level. To blame him for that is hugely misguided, and to call him 'scum' is offensive. I know Toronto fans are famously fickle, but Jesus wept, the players are hardly to blame for woeful mismanagement. He may be a symbol of everything that's gone wrong with the Colangelo era, but I'll still cheer Bargnani on in every game he plays.
                          Last edited by jamiemaca; Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

jamiemaca wrote: View Post
                            Andrea Bargnani is not 'scum'. He's a decent player on a poor team, who as many people have mentioned is being treated as a cornerstone when he'll never reach that level. To blame him for that is hugely misguided, and to call him 'scum' is offensive. I know Toronto fans are famously fickle, but Jesus wept, the players are hardly to blame for woeful mismanagement. He may be a symbol of everything that's gone wrong with the Colangelo era, but I'll still cheer Bargnani on in every game he plays.
                            good for you. He is scum in the sense that he isn't half the player he was last year. He is arguably the worst player on a team you claim is woeful, so how can he be decent?
                            Last edited by akashsingh; Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

good for you. He is scum in the sense that he isn't half the player he was last year. He is arguably the worst player on a team you claim is woeful, so how can he be decent?
                              Not being the man you were last year doesn't make you scum, otherwise we'd all fall into that bracket. Sex criminals, fraudsters, they might be rightfully labelled 'scum'. Under-performing athletes, no. He's nowhere near the worst player on the team, he just falls massively short of everyone's expectations. He is what he is, a poor defender and decent scorer who's having a bad season, and for him to get thrown under the bus by the fans night after night and called 'scum' is frankly wrong. Again, as many people here have said, if Bargnani is your number one option then your team is doomed. To blame him for that is to overlook the fundamental causes.

Comment

He's a decent player on a poor team, who as many people have mentioned is being treated as a cornerstone when he'll never reach that level. To blame him for that is hugely misguided, and to call him 'scum' is offensive. The players are hardly to blame for woeful mismanagement. He may be a symbol of everything that's gone wrong with the Colangelo era, but I'll still cheer Bargnani on in every game he plays.
                                He just falls massively short of everyone's expectations. He is what he is, a poor defender and decent scorer who's having a bad season, and for him to get thrown under the bus by the fans night after night and called 'scum' is frankly wrong. Again, as many people here have said, if Bargnani is your number one option then your team is doomed. To blame him for that is to overlook the fundamental causes.

Two great posts. Welcome to the board!
                                Last edited by Joey; Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X