Thread: If you were the coach...

Post Thanks / Like

Default If you were the coach...

It might be fun for us disheartened fans to cut the crap and say what we'd try instead.

It's time for the coach to honestly search for some chemistry. BC appears to be in no hurry to make a trade. I don't blame him either. It's not a great time for trading and coming out on top. Getting rid of Bargs for nothing back is fool's talk.

I was glad to see Kleiza start last game. So, for the record, and I'd love to see others' suggestions, I'd do the line-ups this way:

Starters:
    C: Gray/AJ for some matchups
    PF: Bargs
    SF: Kleiza/ Pietrus for some matchups
    SG: DeRozan
    PG: Calderone

Go ahead, laugh, but I think they could hold their own, keeping it close enough for our vaunted depth could take over. This is basically the lineup that won them a few games last season.

Bench:
    C: Valenciunas/AJ
    PF: Davis
    SF: Pietrus/Kleiza/Ross/Derozan (AA,Fields)
    SG: Ross/Lowry (Fields)
    PG: Lowry/Lucas

I think something like this is worth a try for a few games to see how it goes. Run totally different offensive sets with these lineups, and play the same players together as much as possible. More athletic players can be juggled a bit on the wings for matchup reasons. Obviously my way would be to run a slower half-court offence with Calderone and a fast-break style with Lowry.

So what would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Your starting lineup looks like the 20-win team from the last 2 seasons. Not sure what the point of that is.

You can't run different offenses with different groups. You'd have mass confusion.

Now that this season is lost, I'm in favour of rolling with Val/Davis/Ross/Derozan/Lowry. Let the losses mount and let the young guys play. There is no sense giving major minutes to anyone else as none of them are a part of the future here. Move Calderon's expiring, which should be doable. Try and move Bargnani and Lowry, if you can, for picks.

Raptors Republic Rookie Ed Davis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry
    Derozan
    Pietrus
    Davis
    Val

I want to see Davis get the start and have him play more to see how he handles more minutes and playing against better players than he often faces coming off the bench.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Now that this season is lost, I'm in favour of rolling with Val/Davis/Ross/Derozan/Lowry. Let the losses mount and let the young guys play. There is no sense giving major minutes to anyone else as none of them are a part of the future here. Move Calderon's expiring, which should be doable. Try and move Bargnani and Lowry, if you can, for picks.
    I whole-heartedly agree.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Your starting lineup looks like the 20-win team from the last 2 seasons. Not sure what the point of that is.

You can't run different offenses with different groups. You'd have mass confusion.

What? I'm assuming you meant someone else

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ed Davis wrote: View Post
    What? I'm assuming you meant someone else
    Lowry (or Jonas) is the only the way you can anything of value for Bargnani.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to face facts that we're building towards nothing. Blow it up, collect draft picks, repeat, until you get a centerpiece (Wiggins please?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Lowry (or Jonas) is the only the way you can anything of value for Bargnani.
    I see both Lowry and Val as part of the solution, not the problem (im not saying you think they are part of the problem). I have no interest in moving either unless it's in a deal for a clear upgrade.

I think some teams will still see value in Bargs. I was watching The Association:Brooklyn Nets and in practice Avery Johnson put so much focus on Bargs. Teams clearly still see him as an offensive threat that can really hurt you on the scoreboard. I think in the right system he could be a valuable player to a team (