Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Players that could be traded this season - Poll Added: Do we have any Keepers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Demar, Ross, JV, Davis. We have 3-4 positions filled for the future, and in my opinion, we should try to go in the direction Cleveland is going in. 5 young players, all positions filled, surrounding them with more young players for future role positions, and veterans like Varejao.

Derozan has easily been our best player this year, most consistent as well. Davis has been the biggest expectation liver-upper (made that term up! ) Jonas and Ross have shown their potential, and definitely with their work ethic, and how hard they do everything, they will get better.

I love Lowry, but, unless he starts to realize this is a team game, and starts using his aggressiveness for something other than throwing random shit at the basket, he's a trade chip. When he came back from the injury, he was playing like a back-up point guard trying to prove something.... Sound similar to anyone? *cough* Bayless *cough*.
    In regards to the bold part do you mean roster spots or starters?

In regards to the underlines part no question he has been the most consistent player. Bad news part of that is that is not saying much. Aside from his rebounding which has been exceptional this year nothing has really jumped out at me about his game. Dont get me wrong hes looked good getting the ball on the block on smaller guards (doesn't do it enough) and is picking his shots better then years past. To me the label of best player is so meaningless because of how poor the team has been.

I agree with you on Lowry he needs to buy into being a point guard and not just a scorer. I`m convinced he has the talent and tools but I don't have confidence in his maturity and composure.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
      In regards to the bold part do you mean roster spots or starters?

In regards to the underlines part no question he has been the most consistent player. Bad news part of that is that is not saying much. Aside from his rebounding which has been exceptional this year nothing has really jumped out at me about his game. Dont get me wrong hes looked good getting the ball on the block on smaller guards (doesn't do it enough) and is picking his shots better then years past. To me the label of best player is so meaningless because of how poor the team has been.

I agree with you on Lowry he needs to buy into being a point guard and not just a scorer. I`m convinced he has the talent and tools but I don't have confidence in his maturity and composure.
      I think Lowry has more than enough talent to be a future fixture (I'm actually surprised at how much praise I've seen about him from fans of other teams). His biggest problem was coming back early (no way was he healed enough judging by both his playing and that almost every time he went to the bench, he would be drawing attention to that ankle) which most likely made him attempt to work much harder than he needed to (felt he needed to be that guy). He's easily our best player (and I don't think its remotely a contest) and would have been an all star if he didn't get hurt last year when he did.

With that said, fixture wise, I think Demar, Ross, JV, and Davis are the ones that should not be touched. I'd consider adding Acy to that as well (I need to see more from him before I can get an accurate gauge). Maybe even Fields as well (want to see how he plays when he comes back). The only reason I didn't put Lowry in that group is because I don't know if I see him wanting to resign next year. He has great chemistry with Demar but I can see him more easily getting offers from other teams. If he wants to resign, sign him ASAP otherwise, he'd be the player you'd be guaranteed to get the most for (especially given he has one of the best contracts in the NBA).
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
        I think Lowry has more than enough talent to be a future fixture (I'm actually surprised at how much praise I've seen about him from fans of other teams). His biggest problem was coming back early (no way was he healed enough judging by both his playing and that almost every time he went to the bench, he would be drawing attention to that ankle) which most likely made him attempt to work much harder than he needed to (felt he needed to be that guy). He's easily our best player (and I don't think its remotely a contest) and would have been an all star if he didn't get hurt last year when he did.

With that said, fixture wise, I think Demar, Ross, JV, and Davis are the ones that should not be touched. I'd consider adding Acy to that as well (I need to see more from him before I can get an accurate gauge). Maybe even Fields as well (want to see how he plays when he comes back). The only reason I didn't put Lowry in that group is because I don't know if I see him wanting to resign next year. He has great chemistry with Demar but I can see him more easily getting offers from other teams. If he wants to resign, sign him ASAP otherwise, he'd be the player you'd be guaranteed to get the most for (especially given he has one of the best contracts in the NBA).
        Praise that should be worth while should come from the fans on the team he played for not teams who see him twice a year if he even plays in both the games as hes always hurt. If you read what fans from the Grizzlies and Rockets have said then its alarming. Question marks about maturity, shot selection and ability to get his teammates involved have carried over into TO. Hes the teams best player no question and has the ability to make a difference on both ends but his mindset is clearly getting in the way. Your point regarding the injury makes this even more evident of this flaw. If he isn't right health wise he should be picking his spots better and letting the game come to him. Instead he forces it and doesn't keep his teammates involved for several possessions at a time. His talent isn't in question but his maturity, leadership and ability to quarter back a game is and always has been.

At 4-19 everyone on the team is available. JV should be the only player who is untouchable unless its super star talent being returned. Ross and Davis next based on contract size. Demar on his new deal could be moved no problem if a two way player was available. Acy was fortunate to be drafted and should be no where near the not touch group. The guy isn't a teenager hes 22 years old, undersized player who is still raw for god sakes hes the 6th big in the depth chart on a 4 win team through 23 games. Fields hasn't got a fair shake yet I agree but the reason for him not being moved wont be talent it will be his contract as hes paid about twice as much as hes worth.

Comment

Keep: JV, Lowry, Ross, Ed
          On the fence: DD, Pietrus, Fields

I think they need to put veteran superstar players with this group. Honestly, even if you put Lebron, Wade or Durant with this group, i dont think it will make the team a contender. You need a vocal veteran who will be able to lead this group, influence them to put in extra effort night in and night out and play to the max.

Maybe thats why Colangelo wanted to bring in Nash, so these young guys will have a voice to listen to. Instead, theyre taking notes from a 7 footer who has no inclination to play hard. Not good.

Maybe a strict coach would work too, like a Sloan or SVG.

Comment

Keepers

Rank the top 5 Raps that you think are part of the solution going forward.

1. Jonas Valanciunas
            2. Terrence Ross
            3. DeMar DeRozan
            4. Kyle Lowry
            5. Ed Davis

JV and T-Ross to me are pretty much close to untradeable when it comes to the Raps. These two have so much talent, so much potential that i wouldn't even think of moving them unless the Raps would get an absolute stud in return. They're that talented. Can't say enough good things about those two.

DeRozan on the other hand i think still has a chance to be a good one(because of his work ethic). But normally you see what kind of player a player would be like in their 3rd/4th year. And i think what you see from DD right now is what you get.

By the way, i like to put Amir on that list as well(love his energy and effort) but if i have to choose between Amir and Ed. I'd pick Ed.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

I don't get why Bargs is not on your list.

Comment

1 Alan Anderson
                2 Andrea Bargnani
                3 Aaron Gray
                4 John Lucas
                5 Linas Kleiza

the rest can be traded for a pack of peanuts and a few bobbleheads
                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  Rank the top 5 Raps that you think are part of the solution going forward.

DeRozan on the other hand i think still has a chance to be a good one(because of his work ethic). But normally you see what kind of player a player would be like in their 3rd/4th year. And i think what you see from DD right now is what you get.
                  This has got me too fed up. No one on this board would reject the idea of Andre Iguadala playing for the Raps, right? Well noone with eyes, who knows basketball. So look at Iggy's numbers. Now look at DeMar's. Now look at Iggy's. Now look at DeMar's. (Please excuse the caps you are about to see)

29 OTHER TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE WOULD TAKE DEMAR IN A HEARTBEAT!! STOP WITH THE UNJUSITIFIED HATE!!! IT'S NOT HIS FAULT THAT OUR GM IS A CLOWN WHO OVERPAYS "TALENT" AND SIGNS PEOPLE TO CONTRACTS A YEAR EARLY FOR NO REASON. DEMAR IS LEGIT!!!!

DeMar is a top 20 scorer, top 10 in his position (if you look at last year's stats), He has improved in scoring, rebounds, assists. What more do you want from the guy (I've even read people call him a ball-stopper in this community-- )? He will never be Kobe, but he's the type of solid scorer every good team has. To all the haters go play b-ball in an organized league, learn hands-on what you are looking at then talk. Enough already. I get it, bagging on Bargs isn't fun anymore. What's next bagging on Ross when he becomes a starter?

As far as this ludicrous idea of keepers, and non-keepers -- the most common difference between teams that consistently make the playoffs, and those that rarely do is player turnover. Everyone knows 6-8 players on the best teams because they're always there. The Raps turnover personnel with too much regularity. If you want a real team in Toronto hope Colangelo stops trading half the team every year. Also, hope he keeps out of the way of his coach.

Let's keep all our pieces, let Bargs play off the bench -- eventually he will accept it or he'll never play again in the league. Let's let Lowry slowly develop chemistry and become a starter when he is ready. Let's have Jose retire a Raptor. That would create a tradition, a modicum of trust that players can plant their roots in the city, build chemistry with one another, and then players will want to come here.

Comment

For someone who ''can't dribble, pass, shoot and defend'', Demar is pretty damn good. The fact is Demar is a 3rd or 4th option ideally.

I would say he is a keeper, but I would not rule out a trade if it makes us better.

My 5 keepers are Ed Davis, JV, Ross, Lowry and Demar/Amir .... In that order of preference.

I think Ed has a chance to be really good. He was so raw but he has the tools to be successful in his position ... Gotta learn how to use the right hand and continue to work on the shot.

The rooks seem legitimate prospects and I have been impressed with JV especially. T-Ross has a lot to polish up on but he has the skill set to be very good.

Lowry is so talented but he needs to get in shape #1. My worry with him is his style is a bit reckless and it doesn't help that he is very short even for his position. He doesn't have the same craftiness like a CP3 to compensate for the lack of size and deteriorating athleticism. Therefore, long term, I'm worried.

Amir is just the ideal 3rd big off the bench. He's mobile and so strong, yet he is not a liability on offense.

Demar is not as talented as his production dictates, but he works so hard. Even his ball handling got a lot better. His passing still needs work and he should stop jumping so damn high on his shots. You will never shoot well like that. He needs to post up some more since he's shown the ability to work the post.

Overall though, if we can clear up the dead weight in this team, we have a pretty good core that can develop well together. We need another shot creator and a 4th big.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                      1 Alan Anderson
                      2 Andrea Bargnani
                      3 Aaron Gray
                      4 John Lucas
                      5 Linas Kleiza
                      the rest can be traded for a pack of peanuts and a few bobbleheads

Hahahaha ha.
                      Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Everyone is tradable for the right price, but I would say the players that the Raps need to keep are JV, Demar, and T-Ross. That's it.

Lowry could be great for them, but he is also their best asset (very good player with a very cap friendly contract) and I would trade him for the right package.

Similar with Ed Davis. I think he could be a real good player for the team, but would move him in a heart beat for the right deal.

Jose needs to be traded while he still has value.

Barg's needs to go before next season (may have to wait for him to show some value first though).

I like Amir, but is he really any better than a Nick Collison, Tyler Hansborough? The league has tons of these guys and can be had fairly easily (for example: Lou Amundson is still unemployed - great work ethic and solid defender).
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

For me, it's JV, Ross, DeRozan, and Davis, in that order. Not saying you never trade those guys, but right now it makes a lot of sense to keep those guys together for a couple years and see how they can develop together. I hope that Lowry becomes an untradeable guy, but it'll require some changes to his style of play and possibly his attitude.
                          Last edited by octothorp; Thu Dec 27, 2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

There was a pretty lengthy discussion on this a few weeks ago. Poll and everything.

Merge seems appropriate.

Comment

Big V, Ross, DeRozan, Ed, and Lowry should all be kept. Maybe throw in Fields too, he seems like a good glue guy that every good team needs.

Comment

Ha ha. Misread the instructions and selected the guys I thought could be traded, so skewed the results. I selected Bargs, JC,, Amir and Ed

Comment

Working...
                                X