Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Players that could be traded this season - Poll Added: Do we have any Keepers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I like them all, but I certainly hope that DeRozan, Davis, Ross and Lowry wouldn't be considered 'untouchable'. Ross is probably the closest to that, given his contract, age and potential.

Lowry
    - until/unless he gest extended, there's always a risk that he simply walks after his contract, which automatically makes him a tradeable asset
    - why would you shell out huge money to a guy who's going to be 27 in March, if the team is starting over and won't be ready to contend for playoffs for at least 2-3 seasons at least?

Davis
    - solid backup PF, easily replaced

DeRozan
    - despite offensive improvement, he's still a defensive liability and he has no outside shot
    - if Toronto does decide to start a complete 3-5 year rebuild, I would think that if a team offered a top-10 pick in a loaded draft class and allowed the franchise to get out from under DeRozan's huge new contract, you'd have to strongly consider it
    I also like those 3 players but can't argue your points at all. For all the shit Andrea takes for not rebounding well and help defense (typical big man strengths) Demar is as bad at shooting and creating for others (typical SG strengths). The roster is flawed and is full of players with gaping holes in their games. Lowry is the closest thing to a complete player but has the maturity of a teenager at times and doesn't run the offense well enough in my opinion.

With each game that passes it's more and more obvious we are no where near being a respectable team. JV is really nice but not sure he's anywhere near being a game changer anytime soon. I'm definitely up for moving any body on the team not named JV. Lowry is nice but at 27 is he our PG of the future? By the time JV is ready to perform Lowry could be on the decline and it's not as if he's a Jason Kidd or Nash type where age doesn't matter as much as they don't rely on athleticism. This constant losing has me with no confidence in anyone currently under contract other then JV (long term).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      If the Raptors are going to start over with a completely new rebuild, than Valanciunas is the only player on the current roster that I would worry about keeping. If the right trade comes along, every other player should be expendable. You have to remember that being open to trading a player doesn't mean you hate that player or think he's useless... I would hope that any trade made is only made to make the team better (not just for the sake of trading).
      JV for sure. And i would add DeMar on that list too. The others? i could care less.

Watching Lowry play this year, now i know why he butted heads with McHale last year in Houston. The guy takes way too many UNNECESSARY and just completely DUMB shots. His shot selection is just brutal. Defensively, he takes way too many risks and it's hurting the team big time.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Who do you keep?

With all the rumors about Jose and Bargnani probably being traded, who on this team DO you keep? It's all well and good to shake things up the the fact is we are not going to get much back for Bargs and a team that has 2 real scoring options (Demar and Lowry) is not doing much this year or any other. So realistically one of two things will happen:

1. We sign a free agent in the off season who can score a lot of points
        2. We rebuild through the draft....again

If we rebuild throught he draft, which is the more likely of the two options, we don't have a pick this year which means we are not going to be adding any high level talent (unles we such hard all year and then get lucky). So it will be the end of next season at the earliest that we can start building around newly drafted talent. Kyle Lowry is 26 and Amir Johnson is 25 so by the time we have a high pick and that pick has 2-3 years to develop, they will both be almost 30 and on their way out of their primes (especially Lowry, who has been injured a lot in his career). Gray,
        Pietrus, Kleiza, and the D leaguers are all pretty useless and aren't long term solutions anywhere. So basically we are left with:

Derozan: Best player on the team and coming into his own. At 23 he is young enough to be in his prime when we add some talent. He is one of the players we can start the rebuild around.

Davis: Young, and with a tremendous amount of rebounding ability. I think he has been a bright spot this year and I'd like to think the falshes of a post game he's shown are and indicator of th future.

Jonas: Future of the franchise at this point.

Terrance Ross: Not sure how he is going to develop, but he's a young athletic rookie so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Landry Fields: hasn't played much but fits the age we need and could be good.

Who do you keep?
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Great post Hateslosing.

Hope you don't mind I moved in with the rest of the conversation about who on the team is salvageable, that was started yesterday.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Great post Hateslosing.

Hope you don't mind I moved in with the rest of the conversation about who on the team is salvageable, that was started yesterday.
            Thanks ,
            It's all good, I only made a new one so I could add a poll. This works fine.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
              I only made a new one so I could add a poll.
              Shoot ... and a Poll would make sense for this too ... let me ask the other mods if there's anyway to add the Poll to this thread.

Comment

A poll can be added, but it might be cleaner to close this thread and start a new one, to allow the discussion to focus on the poll results.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                  You are not a true fan if you think that DD & Ed should be traded for the efforts they are putting up. But to each his/her own opinion right?
                  Alan Anderson plays hard too, and if you cheer for him being a Raptor, then you, sir, are not a true Toronto Raptors fan.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Poll Added: Who's a Keeper?

I voted Jonas and Demar. Two nice pieces to build around.

Comment

none of them. i would like to say lowry,ross, derozan,davis, and val because i like the guys but there is no elite talent there and that core isnt going to amount to anything. the enitre thing needs to be blown up if we have any chance at being relevant

Comment

d749 wrote: View Post
                        none of them. i would like to say lowry,ross, derozan,davis, and val because i like the guys but there is no elite talent there and that core isnt going to amount to anything. the enitre thing needs to be blown up if we have any chance at being relevant
                        Not every single guy on the team needs to be "elite" though ... You need some "just really good" guys too sometimes .. I could be wrong on that though. Lol

Comment

I voted for Valanciunas. He's the only player I would 100% want to keep.

Ross
                          - probably the next closest to 'untouchable', given his contract, age and potential
                          - hasn't shown enough to wow me, so he'd definitely be on the block for the right offer

Lowry
                          - until/unless he gets extended, there's always a risk that he simply walks after his contract, which automatically makes him a tradeable asset
                          - why would you shell out huge money to a guy who's going to be 27 in March, if the team is starting over and won't be ready to contend for playoffs for at least 2-3 seasons?
                          - I've been getting frustrated with him and I am starting to see him as little more than a more skilled Bayless (too much hero ball, poor shot selection, not good facilitator for teammates, overrated defender)

Davis
                          - I love the improvement he's shown this year, especially after arguing to keep him over Amir each of the past two offseasons
                          - solid backup PF, but easily replaced

DeRozan
                          - despite offensive improvement, he's still a defensive liability and he has no outside shot
                          - if Toronto does decide to start a complete 3-5 year rebuild, I would think that if a team offered a top-10 pick in a loaded draft class (ie: 2014) and allowed the franchise to get out from under DeRozan's huge new contract, you'd have to strongly consider it
                          - also, if Ross is kept, I don't see the point of keeping 2 SG (and no, I don't think either is big enough to be full time SF)

I don't think anybody else is even worth mentioning... which really speaks to the overall talent level of this current Raptors team, despite what BC says!
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Dec 12, 2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Demar, Val and Davis.

I like Lowry, but I'm starting to wonder if he's not the best fit as our PG long-term.

Didn't vote for Ross. I hope he makes me look like an idiot for not doing so. For what it's worth I think he can become a solid player that comes off the bench to give a team an offensive boost. I think he will be a pretty streaky player.
                            Last edited by Ed Davis; Wed Dec 12, 2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Ed Davis wrote: View Post
                              I like Lowry, but I'm starting to wonder if he's not the best fit as our PG long-term.
                              I remember warning people that if they didn't like Bayless' game, they're probably not going to like Lowry very much either.

ADD Now I have to find that post, though. Ugh. Haha

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Not every single guy on the team needs to be "elite" though ... You need some "just really good" guys too sometimes .. I could be wrong on that though. Lol
                                Jerry Colangelo disagrees.

Comment

Working...
                                X